"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Thank you to all that took the time to post here. Me and the wife is leaving on December 20 for a 10 night cruise on the MSC Opera from Durban (South Africa) to Mauritius and back to Durban. I shall keep my eyes open for any more do's and don'ts but I am a bid worried about our cabin (stateroom) as it is the first room (12001) on the Ship after reading that you get a lot of movement in front.

But.....................still cant wait to go !!!!:D

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you to all that took the time to post here. Me and the wife is leaving on December 20 for a 10 night cruise on the MSC Opera from Durban (South Africa) to Mauritius and back to Durban. I shall keep my eyes open for any more do's and don'ts but I am a bid worried about our cabin (stateroom) as it is the first room (12001) on the Ship after reading that you get a lot of movement in front.

But.....................still cant wait to go !!!!:D

One option is to see if you can have your reservation type changed to a "Guarantee." This means that you will at least get a cabin the class which you have booked, but may get the opportunity to get moved to a nicer cabin (i.e. one more towards the middle of the ship).

One suggestion on that though is to have a copy of the ship's deck plan handy for when they call you. If they offer you a different cabin then check what is above and below the new cabin. If you are a light sleeper and go to bed early then you don't want to be below a nightclub!

I was glad to find Cruise Critic and be able to research. Cruising with a disabled family member (2) brings up many questions that even the cruise lines couldn't answer. Got the answers here, so wasn't stressed about what might happen.

Best hint..... room service coffee as a wakeup call. Love it. (be sure to have some ones for tips for the room service waiters)

The one thing I learned on my last cruise was to take the stairs! The elevators are always so busy and the stairs help burn off a few calories.

And to take things in stride. Your attitude can either make or break your vacation. :)

I've thread through all the other pages (very slowly) and have learned a few things that could help for future cruises.

After a show, we don't immediately try to rush to the doors and the elevator. There's always a crowd that's too big for the elevators to manage and you end up waiting and waiting. We find something nearby to occupy our time, or we sit and finish our drinks and chat. After about 15 minutes, it's all clear and you can easily get where you want to go.

After a show, we don't immediately try to rush to the doors and the elevator. There's always a crowd that's too big for the elevators to manage and you end up waiting and waiting. We find something nearby to occupy our time, or we sit and finish our drinks and chat. After about 15 minutes, it's all clear and you can easily get where you want to go.

Thanks for that tip.

Our first cruise is two weeks today!

Starting to get VERY excited!

Have my lists of great tips - thanks everyone that has bothered to write your wonderful tips.

I will report back on my return!:)

Save all your change during the months/weeks prior to the trip

- trade it in for $1 bills just before you leave to use for extra tips and incidental spendng. I had over $150 last cruise from doing this.

GREAT TIP...I've got $600 extra to spend by saving change or extra ones and fives in my wallet, over the last 10 months since booking

Never heard of this concept. Where do you get a satellite phone?

Google for "Satellite Phone Rental" to get a list of providers in your country.

I don't know what the rental rates are, but do check for what the per minute charges are. We looked into this a couple of years back at work and they were very expensive. Might be cheaper just to use your own mobile phone with the ship's network (though that is expensive as well).

Better yet, tell friends and family you will be out of reach unless you are checking your phone in port.

Each cruise line has a phone number, which you can give to friends and family, where they will pass a message along to you on board if it is an emergency. One thing to be aware of with that is that if they give you a toll free number, then the number won't work for those calling from abroad. For instance, if they give you a toll free number for the USA (1-800.....) then people in Europe cannot call that number.

I've seen a couple people mention to bring wine and sodas on board but check your cruise line. Ours did NOT allow those to be brought on board and held them for you until you left the ship to go home.

Royal Caribbean didn't used to allow you to bring them aboard, but now you can bring two bottles of wine on with you:)

Thanks for that tip.

Our first cruise is two weeks today!

Starting to get VERY excited!

Have my lists of great tips - thanks everyone that has bothered to write your wonderful tips.

I will report back on my return!:)

Not sure if I missed it, but where are you going? What cruise line? Have a blast!!!

Never heard of this concept. Where do you get a satellite phone?

I checked into onea few years ago when we needed to have constant contact with home. The entire deal was something like $200 including shipping both ways and what I remember being a sufficient block of minutes. They allowed a few days after getting home for return. Our situation changed so we didnt wind up getting one but it was definitely an option we would have used.

Not sure if I missed it, but where are you going? What cruise line? Have a blast!!!

Thanks guys.

We leave Sydney Australia - Airlie Beach - Port Douglas - Brisbane - Sydney - Bay of Island NZ - Auckland (home) 14 nights on Sun Princess

Call the credit card company and your bank to let them know you will be traveling...they will put a hold on your cards and you will not be able to use them because they will think that they could be stolen. I also have my mail put on hold through the post office, that way it is not totally obvious that you are not home. And DO NOT post on twitter/facebook that you will be out of town...you just may come home to a few things missing. And the biggest tip anyone can give is HAVE FUN!!! It is your vacation...make it what you want and don't try and do everything on the fun times...the day is never long enough :D

Heading off on our first cruise- family of 4 with 2 teens. I thought I had read somewhere that you can rent phones on board. I KNOW the "kids" will not want to be attached to our hips but I was hoping there would be some way we could maintain some form of contact. We will be sailing with RCI on the Allure in 4 weeks. I am very thankful for all the posters sharing their experiences to help make others' travels that much better. Also, will I be able to put the 2 teens in their own room once we board. On paper, on is with me in one room and the other with dad in another room. I would really prefer to be with DH-at least at the start;) If anyone can make a suggestion I would really appreciate the expertise.

Heading off on our first cruise- family of 4 with 2 teens. I thought I had read somewhere that you can rent phones on board. I KNOW the "kids" will not want to be attached to our hips but I was hoping there would be some way we could maintain some form of contact. We will be sailing with RCI on the Allure in 4 weeks. I am very thankful for all the posters sharing their experiences to help make others' travels that much better. Also, will I be able to put the 2 teens in their own room once we board. On paper, on is with me in one room and the other with dad in another room. I would really prefer to be with DH-at least at the start;) If anyone can make a suggestion I would really appreciate the expertise.

You may get a variety of responses to your question. To keep in touch, a lot of people leave voicemails on the in-room phone system, or rely on post-it notes left on the doors. Both systems seem to work quite well

Once on board the ship you go to guest services and have the room information changed. It's not a problem at all.

As for the "phones" on board I believe that when you have VERY little children they give you a phone so that THEY can call YOU if needed. Other than that you can bring walkie talkies..! :)