Hotels in San Juan

luv2cruz1963

We are sailing from San Juan on Jan 30th and we are worried about bad weather getting out of Canada the day of the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good hotel reasonable priced?

We are also in Ontario. Use priceline be sure to check the resort box and bid $90 and you should get the Intercontinental near the pier.

Duane

We are also in Ontario. Use priceline be sure to check the resort box and bid $90 and you should get the Intercontinental near the pier.

Duane

We, too, got the Intercontinental through on online broker. Intercontinental informed us that there is a $30 "resort fee" that is not included in that price....we were a bit surprised, as nothing about that was in the information when we made our bid. Even with that fee, however, I think it was a pretty good deal. We'll see what kind of room we get.....then we can make a final assessment.

Okay, the Intercontinental is near the airport not the pier, which is over in Old San Juan. Intercontinental is in Isla Verde. We also use priceline and bid resorts. We got the Marriott Stellaris for $95 over in Condado beach, which is an awesome hotel. With resort you could win either the Marriott or Intercontinental. Resorts are right on the beach. The Condado area is within walking distance of a lot of great restaurants. You really can't go wrong with priceline though, you will find much better deals even if you don't choose resorts than paying full price. Just make sure you select the San Juan area and I would not go below 3 1/2 stars which would probably get you the Sheraton Old San Juan in Old San Juan. You will probably have to take a taxi from wherever you stay to the pier. Taxi cost is not much.

Enjoy your trip!

Okay, the Intercontinental is near the airport not the pier, which is over in Old San Juan. Intercontinental is in Isla Verde. We also use priceline and bid resorts. We got the Marriott Stellaris for $95 over in Condado beach, which is an awesome hotel. With resort you could win either the Marriott or Intercontinental. Resorts are right on the beach. The Condado area is within walking distance of a lot of great restaurants. You really can't go wrong with priceline though, you will find much better deals even if you don't choose resorts than paying full price. Just make sure you select the San Juan area and I would not go below 3 1/2 stars which would probably get you the Sheraton Old San Juan in Old San Juan. You will probably have to take a taxi from wherever you stay to the pier. Taxi cost is not much.

Enjoy your trip!

The pier for departures of Celebrity ships is from the Pan Am pier which is not close to Old San Juan (opposite side of the harbour). The Intercontinental is the better choice as it is near both the Airport and the Pier.

Hi to all,

My husband and i are traveling on the Summit departing on Jan 23rd. We are going to spend two nights prior to departure in SJ. I am seriously considering El Convento Hotel in Old San Juan. I lived in OSJ, on Calle Cristo, some 40 years ago and i have many memories of the area, the people and even the hotel. I have wanted to go back for a long time.

Does anyone have any info about El Convento (other than it is expensive - with various taxes adding about $125 to the room cost) - i am sure it has changed in 40 years. I am really torn about getting a good value and having the experience of being in the enviroment i have thought about for so many years. Does anyone know how far the Hilton mentioned in the string is from OSJ?

It sounds like the pier that Celebrity docks at is not within walking distance of OSJ, is that correct?

I hope it is appropriate to post a question in this thread. I am afraid i do not know the protocol yet.

Many thanks

s

Hi to all,

My husband and i are traveling on the Summit departing on Jan 23rd. We are going to spend two nights prior to departure in SJ. I am seriously considering El Convento Hotel in Old San Juan. I lived in OSJ, on Calle Cristo, some 40 years ago and i have many memories of the area, the people and even the hotel. I have wanted to go back for a long time.

Does anyone have any info about El Convento (other than it is expensive - with various taxes adding about $125 to the room cost) - i am sure it has changed in 40 years? I am really torn about getting a good value and having the experience of being in the enviroment i have thought about for so many years.

It sounds like the pier that Celebrity docks at is not within walking distance of OSJ, is that correct?

I hope it is appropriate to post a question in this thread. I am afraid i do not know the protocol yet.

Many thanks

s

Enjoy your trip!

Hi Kathy, Celebrity uses the Pan American Pier for sailings that leave

from San Juan. The pier that is in Old San Juan is used for sailings

that have stops in San Juan for "port days".

Hello safarisue - I have stayed at El Convento last year and it was a very nice hotel. The room was done in a Spanish motif with tile floors and was very clean. The bed was also very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean but small. The hotel has a very small swimming pool and also a lovely courtyard where they serve breakfast and another area within the courtyard that serves dinner. The food was pretty decent but you could find better food elsewhere. Every evening they had a managers cocktail hour on one of the upper floors with an outdoor patio overlooking the beautiful church across the street. In the mornings they also served coffee form this area which has tables and chairs for relaxing. The staff is young and helpful. I hope this helps you.

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply, it was helpful. Do you remember how far, or how long it took to get to the pier from El Convento? Did you by chance do any sightseeing in PR? I am particularly interested in El Yunque.

It looks like you are a very experienced cruiser! I have been reading some reviews about a decline in Celebrity's food in recent months. You seem to have sailed on Celebrity many times, have you noticed a change for the worse in food on board?

Thanks again

Susan

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply, it was helpful. Do you remember how far, or how long it took to get to the pier from El Convento? Did you by chance do any sightseeing in PR? I am particularly interested in El Yunque.

It looks like you are a very experienced cruiser! I have been reading some reviews about a decline in Celebrity's food in recent months. You seem to have sailed on Celebrity many times, have you noticed a change for the worse in food on board?

Thanks again

Susan

Hi Susan,

I too lived in San Juan, but a lot longer ago than you. I think El Convento was still a convento when we lived there! My hotel of nostalgia would be the Caribe Hilton.

Did you not go to El Yunque when you lived there? Seems to me it took about an hour or so. A lot would depend on the traffic. Same with getting to the pier from OSJ. I'd allow half an hour. As for sightseeing in OSJ, I think walking around is best. Have also heard rave reviews from those who have taken Segway tours.

Have a wonderful trip! Down memory lane and otherwise.

Hi to all,

Does anyone have any info about El Convento (other than it is expensive - with various taxes adding about $125 to the room cost) - i am sure it has changed in 40 years. I am really torn about getting a good value and having the experience of being in the enviroment i have thought about for so many years. Does anyone know how far the Hilton mentioned in the string is from OSJ?

Many thanks

s

Celebrity sails from Pan Amerucan pier, which is across the harbor from Old San Juan. You will need to take a taxi to and from the ship to Old San Juan. Have a wonderful cruise.

Susan - Linda was correct in her post that it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to half and hour to get to the ship from El Convento depending on traffic since the pier is not at the foot of OSJ. It makes it a little bit inconvienent.

El Yonque is about an hours' drive from San Juan, again depending on traffic. Not much to see in between except some gorgeous beaches near the El Conquiestador (sp). The rain forest is worth the trip is you love the lushness of tropical plants, flowers and waterfalls. We used a guide some years ago so we wouldn't miss a thing.

We still enjoy the food on the Celebrity ships. The biggest change we've seen is the change of the chef who creates and oversees the menus for the ships. We like the new menu which we tried on our most recent cruise but we understand they have a few kinks to work out. I did notice they repeat some almost similiar entrees on subsequent nights. But I understand Celebrity is collecting feedback from passengers and will adjust the menu where appropriate. We always found something we liked and the quality of the food was, in our opinion, good to excellent. I see food as very subjective and everyone has there own tastes so not everyone will always be happy. If there has been a "change for the worse" in food with Celebrity I still see Celebrity as much, much better than RCCL and Princess. Hope I was helpful.

Hi to all,

I am sad to hear that the pier that Celebrity leaves from is so far from OSJ. That will not however change my mind about staying in there. We will just have a longer cab ride.

Linda, when I live in PR I had a young daughter and was pregnant with my second daughter and did not get out of OSJ very often. We did drive across the island to Ponce once. It was the Mad Hatter’s ride with the “publicos” careening around the curves towards us, and wanting to pass us when behind. It was beautiful but a bit scary. I spent a lot of time at Pigeon Park, near the chapel at the end of Calle Cristo and walking around the old town with my daughter in her little carriage. We lived in an apartment above the Gallery Bottello, which is still in business, although Angel, who was the artist, passed away some years ago. His son Juan is running the gallery now, he was about 3 when I knew him. We only lived in PR for about 8 months and this was 44 years ago!!.

Dan, thanks for your take on the food on Celebrity. I am sure that I will be able to find many things that are wonderful. You are correct, food is very subjective, but I am glad to hear that you think Celebrity is better than RCCL and Princess. I have booked one night at the Normandie, that should be fun and the big calorie splurge.

Laura, thanks for your post as well. Will this be your first grandchild?

regards

susan

Archived