Which would you do???

Planning somewhat of a last minute cruise (January) and I can't decide what to do!!! Choices are Navigator 5 day (Ocho Rios / Labadee) or Mariner 7 day (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta). The price is the same with tax, gratuities, insurance for a D-1 about $1850 for 2 adults and 1 child. Seems like a no brainer right? Go for the 7 day, but here are my pros and cons:

Pros: Navigator I have a 10th deck corner aft on hold.

My son only has to miss 3 days of school. 2 additional days cruising!

Cons: We've never cruised anywhere but a corner aft, think I'm spoiled now! Also, Mexican Riviera waters might be rougher than we're used to in the Caribbean? If we do Navigator (Caribbean) will the weather suck? It did last year on our Liberty cruise the same week, Labadee was a wash - might has well have called it an extra sea day. My son has to miss 4 days of school.

I know I'm babbling, but I just can't decide :confused:

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for your thoughts! It is so much cheaper to pull him out of school for a couple of days than it is to go at spring break or summer...I think he'll bounce back okay, he's in 5th grade. I'm looking at the week of Martin Luther King b-day, so it's a short school week. I think I'll end up going with Mariner, but I'm really going to miss my corner aft cabin! But for the same price, I think the longer cruise will win out. I like the Mexican Riviera itinerary better too - we've done the Eastern and Western Caribbean, so it'll be cool to check out something new. Have you done the MR? If so, were the waters rougher?

Have done both cruises...Mexico many many times...so since it will be your first chance to cruise to Mexico, then YES...it's a great cruise..you won't regret it, the Mariner is a wonderful ship and the weather should be no problem...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kim, I just booked the Navigator with my Lady for the 4 nighter to Cozumel on Feb 18 and the prices with the Illinos resident discount is awesome right now ! If you have not already decided on one, You should consider this one as you can Get a D-1 Balcony for $499.00pp ! :D

Hi Kim, I just booked the Navigator with my Lady for the 4 nighter to Cozumel on Feb 18 and the prices with the Illinos resident discount is awesome right now ! If you have not already decided on one, You should consider this one as you can Get a D-1 Balcony for $499.00pp ! :D

Mr Jailerman!! I've been wondering where you've been. Just to let

you know the old Enchantment gang is getting together on the

Mariner on 1/16/11. Write it down and come harrass us on our

thread. :D We haven't started it yet but we will soon.

How are things with your "lady friend"? I'll be on the Navigator in

Jan for a 4 nighter. Prices are great and we got great airfare on

American from ORD. Too good to pass up.

Anita

Hey Kurt! I still haven't decided - Navigator or Mariner / January or March!!!! But I'm getting the same price for Navigator for 5 nights - $499. Just got back from Cancun a couple of hours ago and damn it's cold here :eek: Talk about a shock to the system. So what am I doing? Well as soon as I unpacked everything, it's back to the boards to decide what's next. What to do, what to do :D

I'm no a huge fan of either Labadee or Jamaica so Mexico would be my choice all other things being equal. It just seems to me that if you only wish to cruise in a corner aft you limit your ship choice and cruising opportunities. As a teacher I wouldn't be thrilled with the school thing, but obviously it's none of my business.

I'd do the Mariner.. loved the MR. Went over MLK day weekend, and weather was fine.. however, did not go into the water, so can't judge that. Loved PV and you'll be there in prime Whale time in Cabo.. try the Risselena, great ship and great cruise..and did I mention.. great Margaritas:D

I would recommend the Mariner. The longer cruise and new ports are a plus. As for the school issue just apply some of what you are doing to a geography, science or history lesson for him.

I would also suggest a whale watching excursion in Cabo. You will be there during a great time to get up close and observe them. The cost is also quite reasonable.

Have you looked at fares for flights to SO Cal and Florida? That might help tip the scales one way or the other for you.

Oh so true. If it was just the cruise I had to think about it would definately be the MR, and we would like to do it again at some point. Its the cost of flights that is the deciding factor.

I'm gonna be the one that says Navigator, but it's mostly because I live in LA, and can hop on the Mexico route any old time. And Navi happens to be my most favorite ship ever....:rolleyes:

But I've done both, and both are awesome. As for the school thing, I taught for 7 years, if your son is doing fine at school, and not missing any major tests, he'll be fine, just give the teacher lots of notice that he will be gone, so he/she doesn't have to make a packet for him last minute. A kid that's doing well isn't gonna just fall apart over a 3 day absence....;)

Have fun, whatever you decide.:D

Archived