Best advice...credit cards vs. cash

J18ktleo

We're sailing from Auckland to Sydney in January and spending 4 days pre-cruise in Auckland/Rotorua. Wondering if anyone has advice on used credit cards or would cash be the best way to go? Been hearing rumors of problems in Europe with credit cards not being 'coded' correctly...:cool:

Thanks

We had no problem using our CC in Australia. We use a Capital One card for overseas travel; they have zero fees for foreign transactions. Also we were able to use our WaMu ATM card to withdraw cash and the only fee was 1%. However now that they are defunct and Chase Bank has taken them over, there is now a pretty hefty foreign ATM fee. Maybe time to change banks.

FYI, BofA has affiliates in many countries including Aus/NZ and you can use the affiliate's ATMs for no charge.

You shouldn't have any problem with a credit or debit card in New Zealand or Australia either for making purchases or at an ATM. Charges may apply in some cases but that's banks for you. By all means have some petty cash for 'pocket money' to buy a coffee or something but otherwise use your plastic. It saves and awful lot of hassle (and money!) changing from one currency to another.

My only slight word of caution is to take an alternative to your AmEx card. Despite what their advertising would have you believe it's not universally accepted. You are safer with a Visa or Mastercard.

I don't recall which bank is the BofA affiliate. It's one of the majors as I recall seeing branches and ATMs all over Australia. Check the BofA website.

I have Citibank Visa and I think their charge is 3% as you say. That's highway robbery....check www.bankrate.com for low or zero-fee cards. Whatever cards you take be sure to notify them before you travel, otherwise they migh lock your account due to unusual activity.

• 2 months later...

westpac is one of the big 4 in AUs, so you will just about trip over a westpac atm :)

Taxis and most coffee shops etc accept atm cards. If they don't they normally will have a (a lovely handwritten in text LOL) sign saying cash only. Most unusual.

I'm in Bris and rarely carry any more than $10 cash on my, every thing is with debit card.

Amex is NOT popular in Aus. Definitely visa or mastercard. Bankcard used to be a biggy but I think they were taken over by m/c? could be wrong but haven't heard that being used for years!

oh and I'm posting for Aus, can't comment on NZ. (well being female and all, I could comment but it probably wouldn't be accurate ;) LOL)

Bankcard used to be a biggy but I think they were taken over by m/c? could be wrong but haven't heard that being used for years!

No, the banks decided to cancel that scheme, since they had a replacement in other credit cards, and it was a less popular/useful choice since it only operated here and NZ. Cardholders were suggested one of their bank's alternative cards.

We always take both.

Cash and card.

ATM and cc use is widespread in Australia and NZ,

but as a traveller you need to be prepared for all eventualities.:eek:

eg...

This week my usual ATM machine mal functioned, and they told me ,

I could not get the card back till 4.30 pm when they opened the machine.

(Nothing wrong with my card, and in fact they phoned earlier because it had been eating everyone elses card and they had called out the service people to close it down.)

However if I had been a traveller using it ,

it may have placed me in a very akward position.

We use our card as much as possible, and any cash left over towards the end of the cruise, goes onto our ship board account, so the final cc bill is lowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Only problem occurred with CC when they tried to make me use a PIN, I do have one but it didn't seem to work down under. I would always just ask to 'sign' and things went fine.

Loved using ATM's for cash. No problems and no big transaction fees.

Would Discover card have any problems? Or would you recommend Visa and MC over Discover card?

We are traveling March 15th to Australia and New Zealand for an 18 day cruise and 3 days post cruise in Sydney.

Thank you,

Heather

Only problem occurred with CC when they tried to make me use a PIN, I do have one but it didn't seem to work down under. I would always just ask to 'sign' and things went fine.

Loved using ATM's for cash. No problems and no big transaction fees.

Most CC machines in NZ give you the option of either entering a PIN or signing. No problem either way.

Another comment- PIN pads at American cash registers and ATMs have letters on the keys along with the numbers (e.g. 2ABC, 3DEF...) Most international ones are numbers only. If your PIN is based on letters ("HELLO", "ANN63", etc) be sure to memorize the numbers-only equivalent.

Another comment- PIN pads at American cash registers and ATMs have letters on the keys along with the numbers (e.g. 2ABC, 3DEF...) Most international ones are numbers only. If your PIN is based on letters ("HELLO", "ANN63", etc) be sure to memorize the numbers-only equivalent.

Also, FYI - PIN codes have only 4 digits in NZ - eg: 1234

Also, FYI - PIN codes have only 4 digits in NZ - eg: 1234

Also Australia. Note that we are in transition from signature to PIN on credit card transactions and at the moment you can do either/or but the idea is to move to PIN only so if you don't have or know your cc PIN number it's a good idea to get one now.

Archived