Isla Pasion via Twister ? - OK for Grandma?

GSRDPM

OK - here's kind of an oddly specific question...

My family will be in Cozumel on 12/28/09 via CCL Ecstasy. Our grup consists of myself - DW, DS (14) and DD (11) and my mom (mid 70s).

The kids and I would love the boat ride regardless of conditions. My wife - not so much - BUT, she loves and would eventually forgive me so I'll take the position that it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission... ;)

I know that the excursion says they won't take people with neck or back problems. Mom is very active and has no back or neck problems or pain, but she does have osteoporosis. Is the ride on the twister rough enough that she would be at risk for a spinal fracture? Has anyone here with a history of osteoporosis taken this excursions and ran into any porblems or concerns?

I'm really trying to arrange a beach day without crowds...

Thanks!

We will be there a week later on the Conquest & have this excursion booked. I would like to hear what people say also. I have watched video's on You Tube & it doesn't look too bad, but I am still a little leary.

Happy Cruising!

It's called "Twister", that should be a clue :). What's "fun" for some would be scary and uncomfortable for others. I wouldn't chance Grandma. There is a pontoon boat, or was, at PI...I wonder if she could ride over on that? For that matter....the actual distance between Coz and PI is a hop, skip and a jump...would the Twister take Grandma over separate?

Magic City Cruiser: Thanks for the response, though I am not sure if you are advising from personal experience or not. From videos, the ride appears to be named (Twister) due to the practice of the drivers repeatedly "zig-zagging" the oats back and forth, eventually leading into short radius 180 to 360 degree turn. My concern is more along the harshness/impact of the ride than lateral movement.

While the crossover from Cozumel to PI is relatively brief, the drive from downtown to the northern point of Cozumel near PI is not. Most accounts of posters taking the land based approach describe an approximately 45 minute drive, the majority of time spent on a narrow, unpaved and very bumpy road. Upon reaching the water, the boat ride over is not always reliable. Spending an hour and a half or more on an unpleasant and possibly painful car ride with is not an option for her or us.

here is my honest opinion...my mom is 68 and i would not take her on it. it does throw you around like a carnival ride. i also know from past history at amusement parks that my mom doesn't like rides that jerk you around.

the island is wonderful though...i would do the twister again for sure.

Magic City Cruiser: Thanks for the response, though I am not sure if you are advising from personal experience or not. From videos, the ride appears to be named (Twister) due to the practice of the drivers repeatedly "zig-zagging" the oats back and forth, eventually leading into short radius 180 to 360 degree turn. My concern is more along the harshness/impact of the ride than lateral movement.

I've never even seen the boat, just going by what I've read here on CC. Curious though, what does GRANDMA think about it!? I'm no spring chicken and while there are lots of things that might not hurt me, I don't wanna do them :p. Of course, I keep thinking about my boat ride back from PI and I had enough trouble staying upright on the pontoon boat. ;)

Magic City Cruiser: Mom is nota timid person and says she is fine with whatever I decide. Speed and turns do not bother her. She is not worried about the bumps - the concern was mine. (Our family has a lot of powerboating experience and have spent YEARS on the water. That said, we have never owned anything like the twister boats ;)!

It does look like a lot of fun, but having a bad back and bouncing on some not so comfortable seats has kept me from booking this one, I have read the island is heaven on earth. Please, upon your return post back on this thread and let us know how it was and if there is an alternative to the island? Thanks in advance.:)

Magic City Cruiser: Mom is nota timid person and says she is fine with whatever I decide. Speed and turns do not bother her. She is not worried about the bumps - the concern was mine. (Our family has a lot of powerboating experience and have spent YEARS on the water. That said, we have never owned anything like the twister boats ;)!

YAY, GRANDMA! Good luck and I hope yall have a great day no matter what you decide!

I speak from personal experience: we took this excursion in August when we sailed on Fantasy. The excursion consisted of a 25 minute boat ride to Passion Island. They do not "twist" in the open ocean - they wait until they are in the smooth water (sheltered area) right beside the island. They then do around 6 twists, which consist of 90 degree turns in which you will get "thrown" against the chest seat belt you wear. Was it excessively rough? We had an elderly couple in the front (less wet there) and they loved it. We had a 22 year old newly wed who was in tears, begging to get off. My family? We loved it - all 4 of us! DH has some minor back problems, and it didn't bother him. One of the conditions of this tour was no back/muscle problems. I wouldn't suggest someone with bone weakness to take a chance on it. The island itself was beautiful (think Corona Beer commercials - this is where they were filmed). The buffet was fine, open bar nice. They did 3 more twists on the way back. I would do this excursion again - in fact, we are, in February on Liberty!

• 3 weeks later...

Overall you guys make this sound like fun....I have been on boats my

whole life but not exactly a daredevil, but my husband is. If we can avoid

the smelly dreadful buses this sounds like a good alternative.

Anyone doing this on the destiny dec 10th? perhaps another scaredy cat?:D

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we just returned yesterday from our 5 day Ecstasy Cruise and we all enjoyed this excursion. The boat ride to Passion Island takes about 30 minutes. The seas were too rough for the kayaks and pedal boats to be used and the tour operators offerred everyone a chance to back out if this was a deal breaker for them. No takers...

That said, the ride out to Pasion Island was bumpy. Our boat could hold 28 passengers and the 2 crew members. The further back you sit, the wetter you get get and the more lateral forces you are subjected to as the boat "twists" by rotating or skidding its rear out to the side. These twists are done in the more sheltered waters near Pasion Island rather than in the rougher, open ocean water. They do about 4-6 twists during each of the outgoing and return trips. The further foward you sit in the boat, the less wet you will get and the less violent the twists will feel but in rougher waters like on our day, you will feel the pounding over the waves more. Grandma sat in the 2nd row of the passenger seats and did fine.

Once at Pasion Island, the beach was beautiful and the are very peaceful. THere were an abundance of chairs, lounges, umbrellas and hammocks. It was very private. THere are a few shops that the guid who greets you shows you as you walk to the beach, but nobody ever approached us to sell anything. The food was very good, though some of it was a little slow being prepared. Drinks were OK but it was disappointing that you could get regular pina coladas for free but had to pay extra for pina coladas without alcohol. While we were there, the water calmed down enough that the put the water trampoline back in the ocean and the kids enjoyed this. We were on the island from about 3.5 hours.

When it was time to leave (about 2PM), we were walked back to the boat dock, boarded the boat(s) and did about 5 twists in the lagoon before heading back to the port. The ride was a lot smoother with the waves coming from behind us as opposed to head on as we were traveling to Pasion Island. Once back to the port we did a final twist (They are more of a 180-270 degree tight radius turn than a true 360.) between the our ship, the Carnival Ecstasy and the Celebrity Century. That was cool. In all, we felt that the trip was a good value and a nice time to spend the day in Cozumel. The boat ride and crew were a lot of fun and the Island was beautiful and peaceful and MOST DEFINITELY uncrowded.

Most importantly, GRANDMA GAVE IT A BIG THUMBS UP!!!

2071506978_IMG_0150(2).jpg.58a8abfd36655b0f974a79a4e63d3c64.jpg

1471048782_IMG_0157(2).jpg.bcf79dc5658f3372d74b73cff35ed99c.jpg

I booked this excursion mainly for my husband who has had speed boats his whole life....For someone who gets sick on roller coaters, I dont know what the heck I was thinking. This is a like a roller coaster on the water.

By the time I got to the island I was green, never actually got sick but if I could have walked back to the ship I would have, lol

The island was lovely but by the time I recovered it was time for the ride back. We all tipped the captain so as not to get wet on the way back, we were drenched on the way over. However, he must have found this amusing and we still got wet on the way back and he did even more twists and turns.

I may add most everyone on the boat ride was hootomg and hollering, enjoying all the twists and turns.

Just a heads up if you get that sick feeling on roller coasters or dont do rides this is not the excursion for you. If you love them and never get motion sickness than you will love this.

You said the seas were too rough for the kayaks etc to be used. Were there any issues for those who were getting to PI via catamaran? We have an excursion booked through RCI next week and are going by catamaran instead of Twister as I have some neck issues.

Large Catamarans (I am assuming the Fury Cats) are very stable and ride very level and smooth, but in severe conditions, your excursion could be cancelled. While the Kayaks were off limits at Passion Island (no supervision), we saw catamarans, monohull sailboats and even a windsurfing group out in the open sea. We saw a lot of people kite surfing. That looks hard!

Archived