Cancel and rebook?

Adventures ahead

With final payments due 75 days prior to sailing, and if you can see on the Princess website that no cabins are waitlisted (lots of cabins left) for your sailing, I wonder how common it is for someone to cancel their cruise on day 76 (with full refund of deposit) and rebook with significant savings on day 74? I assume this could be the timing. I'm not usually a risk taker but curious, and we don't care what cabin we get. However, we do have our hotel and air booked already. Hmm...

With final payments due 75 days prior to sailing, and if you can see on the Princess website that no cabins are waitlisted (lots of cabins left) for your sailing, I wonder how common it is for someone to cancel their cruise on day 76 (with full refund of deposit) and rebook with significant savings on day 74? I assume this could be the timing. I'm not usually a risk taker but curious, and we don't care what cabin we get. However, we do have our hotel and air booked already. Hmm...

Has the price of the cruise dropped since you booked? If the price hasn't dropped yet there is a good chance that it is selling. There is also a good chance that the category you booked may be sold out when you rebook and it may actually cost more because you may have to book a more expensive category. If I lived in driving distance to the port and didn't care if I sailed or not then I may chance it. But since you are not a risk taker and you have your flight and hotel booked I would leave well enough alone. Continue to watch for price drops and call your TA or Princess if you booked with them to get the adjustment. The last minute deals that I get emailed and snail mailed to me have only been about $50 less after I have made final payment. It's not enough of a discount for me to take a gamble like this.

I agree that it would be a risk. Call Princess or whomever you booked with and ask them if the price has gone down on your sailing/category. I would do that before cancelling and rebooking. Unless it is a "new bookings sale only" you should be able to get the lower price.

I booked a mini suite some time ago on a sale princess sent me . Iv watched the prices go up up up since then . I booked 11 day AA for $1395 , now when I check the rooms are $2200 .and were still 60 days out from sailing So not always do they go down. Only prices Iv seen going down are inside rates . They almost always seem to go down. I think they are the last to fill CARL

It is risky. I haven't seen too many cases where the price has went down right after full payment. Maybe withing a couple weeks of the cruise, but it is really risky to wait that long.

Honestly, if I was happy with the cabin and the price I paid, I would not chance it.

Thanks for your quick replies and I will leave well enough alone!

I check the price every day on Princess and have received adjustments before final payment on other Princess cruises, not after. If 'after' is possible, I'll continue to look. However, I thought it wasn't possible. Interesting that someone received a credit after final payment.

Cheers!:)

If 'after' is possible, I'll continue to look. However, I thought it wasn't possible. Interesting that someone received a credit after final payment.

Cheers!:)

I was under the same impression about not getting credit after final payment. I have read a couple of comments recently that stated it does occur. Maybe it's whoever you talk to at Princess.

I have had cruises booked and then if there is a lot of availability, I have cancelled and waited for flash specials. I have saved probably thousands over the years by doing this. It is not always on Day 74 but I have definitely benefitted by doing this.

Archived