Select Dining in Blu??

bardstowntraveller

I was in AquaClass for the Equinox sailing of September 26; Select Dining debuted during that trip...

The following, excerpted from the Celebrity website this morning, is consistent with what I was told both before and during that trip...

If I am an AquaClass guests, can I choose Celebrity Select Dining?

Subject: Celebrity Select Dining

Yes. You may choose Celebrity Select Dining, however, you will be seated in the Main Dining Room, and will no longer be seated in Blu.

Thank you Xport. We had already decided to retain our traditional dining option for Blu; and, I suspect that our decision was correct and prophetic.

To my mind, dining in Blu is one of the primary highlights associated with reserving AquaClass...

Enjoy!

I was in AquaClass for the Equinox sailing of September 26; Select Dining debuted during that trip...

The following, excerpted from the Celebrity website this morning, is consistent with what I was told both before and during that trip...

If I am an AquaClass guests, can I choose Celebrity Select Dining?

Subject: Celebrity Select Dining

Yes. You may choose Celebrity Select Dining, however, you will be seated in the Main Dining Room, and will no longer be seated in Blu.

That is what I had heard before but I also had heard that there was a Flex dining option available in Blu that was being administered a little differently than Select Dining in the MDR. That's why I called Celebrity directly for clarification.

The Celebrity agent was adamant that Select Dining was also available for Blu and should be booked prior to sailing. My cruise is not until next June so I am going to leave my traditional dining selection for Blu in place for now. I think this is another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing at Celebrity

What I have read and Albert Ross has posted is that with Blu you pick traditional dining either early or late and when you board apparently you are contacted by staff at Blu asking what time you would like to dine. They called it "Flex Dining" not Celebrity Select. I hope this is right because now I am signed up for late seating in hopes we will be able to change to a bit earlier when we board. We are wait listed for early but apparently it doesn't matter what time you are set up for on your reservation with Blu.....sure hope so....as 8:30 is far too late.:eek::)

What I have read and Albert Ross has posted is that with Blu you pick traditional dining either early or late and when you board apparently you are contacted by staff at Blu asking what time you would like to dine. They called it "Flex Dining" not Celebrity Select. I hope this is right because now I am signed up for late seating in hopes we will be able to change to a bit earlier when we board. We are wait listed for early but apparently it doesn't matter what time you are set up for on your reservation with Blu.....sure hope so....as 8:30 is far too late.:eek::)

I asked the Celebrity rep about "Flex" dining in Blu and he said there was no such thing -- insisted that it was Select Dining just like MDR. If anyone else contacts Celebrity directly, can you post their response? In the meantime, I have a call into my TA to see what he has to say

Ok, just got off the phone with the Captain's Club and they confirmed that Select Dining is now available in Blu. They acknowledged that the website still had the incorrect info. They said that Select Dining would operate the same way in Blu as in the MDR -- before sailing you choose traditional or Select Dining. If you choose Select Dining you can reserve your dining time each day on line about 60 days prior to sailing or you can wait until you are onboard to select your dining times. They also said that if you are booked in Blu and don't like it you can switch to the MDR within 24 hours of your departure. Those booked in the MDR can eat in Blu if there is space available. They will have to pay $30 to eat in Blu. They said that "Flex" dining does not apply to Blu or MDR, it is how they implement Select Dining on RCL

Hope this info helps.

We have decided to stay with our late seating, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is it is more compatible with other activities, such as parties, shows and so forth. Additionally, we will probably venture to either the sushi bar or pizza bar, or both of the aforesaid, after a visit to the cocktail hour in Michael's. And who knows, maybe a little nap before dinner.

Ok, just got off the phone with the Captain's Club and they confirmed that Select Dining is now available in Blu. They acknowledged that the website still had the incorrect info. They said that Select Dining would operate the same way in Blu as in the MDR -- before sailing you choose traditional or Select Dining. If you choose Select Dining you can reserve your dining time each day on line about 60 days prior to sailing or you can wait until you are onboard to select your dining times. They also said that if you are booked in Blu and don't like it you can switch to the MDR within 24 hours of your departure. Those booked in the MDR can eat in Blu if there is space available. They will have to pay $30 to eat in Blu. They said that "Flex" dining does not apply to Blu or MDR, it is how they implement Select Dining on RCL

Hope this info helps.

I'll be calling Captain's Club when I get home from work as this is completely different from what they told me just two weeks ago.....I wish there was some consistency here as I don't want to be disappointed once I get onboard....and late dining is just that for us....LATE!!!:eek:

Celebrity Select Diningspacer.gif

Offering the option to be seated any time the Main Dining Room is open, Celebrity Select Dining means there is no schedule to follow, only your heart and appetite. (Prepaid gratuities will automatically be included your reservation.)

I just decided to try and book a new reservation for AQ and the above is what pops up when referring to dining options. It also states that "traditional dining means dining in Blu for AQ class guests"

I'm going to have to have something in writing from Celebrity before I believe that CSD is available in Blu.....

Just got off the line with Celebrity and was told that you have to choose between traditional dining and Select in Blu as well as the MDR. This conflicts with what I have read on previous posts. Has anyone else been told this.:confused:

Here is the information again.........which I got in writing from X UK and the email was forwarded from X Miami

If you are in Blu and your dining time says Select dining you will be seated in the main dining room

If you are in Blu and your dining time says 6:00 or 8:30 you will be eating in Blu.

However you can ignore those times and turn up as you wish as Blu offers flexi dining.

1) Celebrity Select Dining

Available to all guests (including AQ)

Available in the main dining room only

Requires pre-payment of gratuities

Guests have the ability to make reservations online (through CelebrityCruises.com) at the time that they'd like to dine for each night of the cruise

2) Flexible Dining in Blu

Replaces the current "traditional dining" structure (main and second seating)

Does not require pre-payment of gratuities

Only available to AQ guests (and also to suite guests if space is available)

Guests can make reservations for the times that they'd like to dine each night in Blu, but can only do so once onboard the ship.

I'll check it again to see if it gives any date as to when this will start, and post back.

I'll be on the Equinox on Novemebr 19th and will be dining in Blu. I'll let you know what options,if any,they are providing.

I am also in Blu on the same cruise and we will certainly report back. I had switched my cabin to a Blu two weeks ago and Celebrity reps knew nothing about Select in Blu. We will have to see what they do.

After reading many of these posts about "BLU" Dining, this is what I have observed:

1) If you are asking for "SELECT" dining, then you'll be in the MDR (Main Dining Room). You will need to pay gratuities for this option.

2) If you are an AQUA guest, and want to have options as to what time you dine in BLU, that is called "FLEXI" Dining. This option can only be booked once onboard the ship. No need to pre-pay gratuities for this option.

3) If you speak with a Celebrity Rep, they will become "confused" if you ask for SELECT dining in AQUA....since this technically doesn't exist (at least not yet and certainly under the name of "SELECT" dining. Be careful, since the name of the dining is clear cut, if you ask for "SELECT" you'll be placed in the MDR!

Albert has some wonderful information. Please read it carefully BEFORE you call the Celebrity folks. Thank you Albert! Good job!

Albert has some wonderful information. Please read it carefully BEFORE you call the Celebrity folks. Thank you Albert! Good job!

:o Shucks. Thanks.

I'll check it again to see if it gives any date as to when this will start, and post back.

Email in full:

With the launch of Celebrity Select Dining, many AQ guests have shared feedback they'd also like additional flexibility while enjoying the Blu dining experience. As a result, Blu will be moving to a more flexible dining format, effective the following dates:

EQ: 10/23/2009

SL: 1/10/2010

Upon embarkation, all guests dining in Blu will receive an assigned reservation time based on the dining time indicated in their booking. This time will be communicated via a letter placed in the their stateroom or through direct contact with one of the ship's maitre d's. If this time is acceptable, Guests should arrive at the restaurant at the assigned time. Guests preferring a different reservation time should contact the restaurant's maitre'd to make alternate arrangements. Guests may also simply arrive as their schedule permits anytime between 6 and 9:30 PM. Guests who prefer a more traditional dining experience can inform the maitre'd and he/she will work with the guest to arrange a fixed dining time every evening of the cruise. Guests may also choose to dine at a different time each evening.

For all AQ guests, reservations are highly recommended, but not required. All efforts will be made to accommodate guests' sharing preferences and to minimize wait times. All Blu reservations will be handled on board; there will be no in advance reservations functionality.

Please note that Celebrity Select Dining is a flexible dining experience offered in our main dining room, and is available to all guests regardless of stateroom category. If any guests, including AQ guests, choose Celebrity Select Dining in their cruise reservation, they will be seated in the main dining room. Additionally, only guests that choose Celebrity Select Dining can take advantage of our pre-cruise reservation functionality where different dining times can be selected for each day of their cruise.

After receiving confirmation via phone from Celebrity, Captain's Club and my TA that Blu now has Select Dining comparable to Blu, I e-mailed Captain's Club. In line with Albert Ross's information, this is the answer I got:

"In order to offer the same great flexibility as the Celebrity Select dining

option that our guests can enjoy in the Main dining room, we are now offering a

more flexible dining format for Blu as well. Upon embarkation, all guests dining

in Blu will receive a letter communicating their booked dining time, as well as

information on how to take advantage of the flexible dining format being

offered."

For the life of me, I don't understand why Celebrity's representatives can't get their act together.

Well at least that response is consistent with Albert Ross'.... that makes me feel more confident of the "Flex Dining Option" at Blu....that's great!!!:)

Gracie:

We should know whats really going on next week as Orator and I will be on the cruise on the 19th. Also, some regulars on the board are on the current cruise so maybe something will be heard from that cruise...

Don-

Yes I look forward to hearing about your experience with Blu on Equinox....just hope it will reflect the same thing that will happen on Solstice for our 1/17/10 cruise. Am really excited about Blu after reading so many good things about it!!!

Gracie

Archived