Transatlantic Europe Suggestions

spunkie4

We plan to take the 28 day transatlantic Europe cruise that includes Russia, Paris, etc.

I would appreciate comments/suggestions concerning the spring or fall cruise, as well as suggestions on handling the one-way airfare.

Thanks.

Shirley

I would go from Europe to America. We did the TA from Venice to FLL two years ago. We decided it was the best way to go because it is less jet lag. We were so excited when we got to Venice that we really didn't have jet lag at all. Then we had all of our ports first on the cruise, so we were excited and ready to go. But the best part was the 5 days back across the Atlantic. We were ready to wind down, had 5 days to do it AND the ship changed the clocks back each night. So, by the time we were in FLL, our bodies were pretty close back to EST. Just my opinion.

As far as one way tickets, we bought our tickets on www airfare dot com. Some of the other cheap airfare sites that do one way tickets are: www bookingbuddy dot com or cheapair dot com. I was a little leary booking that way, but all was fine. Our one way tickets to Venice through that website were about $400 cheaper PER TICKET then through the airlines own website. We got great flights and no problems. Good luck with whichever option of the TA you choose. You'll love it.

I would go from Europe to America. We did the TA from Venice to FLL two years ago. We decided it was the best way to go because it is less jet lag. We were so excited when we got to Venice that we really didn't have jet lag at all. Then we had all of our ports first on the cruise' date=' so we were excited and ready to go. But the best part was the 5 days back across the Atlantic. We were ready to wind down, had 5 days to do it AND the ship changed the clocks back each night. So, by the time we were in FLL, our bodies were pretty close back to EST. Just my opinion.[/i']

As far as one way tickets, we bought our tickets on www airfare dot com. Some of the other cheap airfare sites that do one way tickets are: www bookingbuddy dot com or cheapair dot com. I was a little leary booking that way, but all was fine. Our one way tickets to Venice through that website were about $400 cheaper PER TICKET then through the airlines own website. We got great flights and no problems. Good luck with whichever option of the TA you choose. You'll love it.

I would have to agree with you that going east to west in the fall would be the best. My transatlantic was in the spring, US to Europe and we lost an hour each day, then had all the ports at the end and a long plane ride back. Jet lag!!

I believe I bought our tickets from Barcelona back home on Orbitz. Check around like "I'd rather be diving" said.

You just have to do your homework. Sometimes one way air is less with Princess, sometimes you can find it less on your own. We found one way to Paris from Miami for $414pp at www.airfare.com.

We'll be doing our second fall TA next year. We loved having the sea days at the end to unwind and rest from the port intensive b2b we had completed. Also you can buy all the "stuff" you want and bring it home on the ship with you without worrying about luggage requirements.

We have done quite a few TAs (in both directions) and have found some pros and cons to both directions. As is often mentioned, starting out from Europe means you will have many 25 hour days on the TA portion of your cruise as opposed to 23 hour days when going eastbound. But there are other factors. Many of the fall west bound cruises operate during hurricane season which can result in some delays and/or rough seas (note that even the mega-ship Oasis of the Seas has been delayed 2 days on its initial crossing (this week) by storms). On the other hand, our worst weather was on an April east bound crossing where a huge storm stayed with us all the way across the Atlantic. If you are going to take a west bound cruise we strongly recommend going to Europe several days in advance to recover from jet-lag and allow lost luggage to catch-up before your cruise. Personally, we prefer the east bound TAs because we can spend a week relaxing on the ship before we need to think about busy port days.

Hank

Archived