Carnival or Celebrity - Kids

texas2fl

We are trying to determine whether to book the Carnival Freedom or Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean itinerary for March 2010. We will have 5 kids ranging in age from 7 - 12. I know that Carnival is known for kids but what about Celebrity's program? Is one heads and shoulders above the other?

Thanks!

Definetly (SP?) Carnival! We've been on both and think of Celebrity as much more of a country club type of cruise, Carnival's more relaxed. Not as many kids on Celebrity and don't know if they have babysitting. We JUST got off Carnival's Glory and saw signs right outside the Kid's area for babysitting. They were broken down into two groups. 1st was 6 months (that really surprised me!) to I think 6. Then 7 to 10 or 11years old. All was $6 hour for one, $4 for each one after the 1st. The hours were from 10PM to 3AM! Don't know if this was in your cabin or the slumber party some ships have. Ask on the Carnival board here. Carnival is known for great kid's care, go with Carnival!

When I was on the Solstice, I never saw the kids area until close to the end. It was a small area up front, unlike the huge kids zones you see on Royal Caribbean. The few kids that were on board seemed to wander around bored.

The Solstice is a FANTASTIC ship, but for the kids, I'd take the Carnival Freedom.

I have traveled over the years with my kids on Celebrity and they have excellent childrens programs. They do not have the bells and whistles of Royal Caribbean ships but don't let anyone tell you their programs are not first class. I am speaking from the standpoint of having a child with learning disabilites. The facilities are excellent and counselors IMHO are the best I have ever dealt with. Remember that I have actually used the childrens programs on Celebrity...

Both lines have great kids' programs, and since it looks like you'll be cruising during spring break, your kids will have lots of friends on board. I prefer Celebrity, but Carnival has a few things X doesn't have that especially appeal to kids of most ages: water slides and soft-serve ice cream (this one was a hit with HD too). There will probably be more kids on Carnival, and their kids' areas tend to be a bit larger. If you are looking for the ship to be the destination, especially for the kids, Carnival may be your best option.

Personally, I'd choose the itinerary or line I like best since I'm paying for it, and DS will have a good time no matter what ship he's on!

I have to vote for Carnival, too. You'll be very pleased with the kid's programs. I found them MUCH more kid friendly, more visible and offered more to do for children over the Solstice.

However, I LOVED the Solstice for the ship alone! It is an amazing ship and I think you will love the decor and cozy atmosphere. The plush furniture around the ship was very inviting and relaxing. There are lots of places to go to and feel like you are the only one on board. It is much more calming and different from Carnival in that regard. The glass shows were entertaining, as was the grass and live tree in their lobby. The staterooms are much nicer, too. The bathrooms don't have any shower curtains and that was a bonus! There are lots of storage in the bathrooms and in the staterooms over the bed. Check out youtube for Solstice videos! Overall, I missed the dramatic lobbies that Carnival has as their focal point, the chocolate melting cake and the corny songs in the dining room by their waiters/waitresses. We heard one song on Solstice the last night, and that was fun. Celebrity needs more fun on their ships, but for relaxation during the day Solstice is tops. Oh, both ships had excellent waiters, cabin stewards, etc. I think the shops were more reasonably priced on Carnival, too.

We found some stuffy people on the Solstice that made fun of Carnival and the people that sail on them. That really upset us and I had no problem telling them how much we enjoyed all our Carnival cruises.

Hope this helps you out. :)

Archived