Price Drop ... Again.

Livabeth

Yesterday we upgraded from an OV cabin to a balcony (D1 category) because of a special residency rate. I just checked the price (for the third time today) and noticed that the total price dropped another $560. I called RCCL to ask for the credit and because I booked through a TA, they have to wait for the TA to call about the price drop and credit.

My concern is that my TA is closed right now and that the price could increase overnight. I asked the rep at RCCL to put a note on my file that I called and printed out a copy of the total price quoted on the website.

What is the chance that the price will go up overnight and i'll lose out on the OBC?? $560 is an awful lot of fun!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Livabeth

This happened to me on a Sunday.. emailed my TA and she took care of it first thing Monday morning...I think you will be fine...While some people say things happen fast...I don't think it will change "that" fast...;)

This happened to me on a Sunday.. emailed my TA and she took care of it first thing Monday morning...I think you will be fine...While some people say things happen fast...I don't think it will change "that" fast...;)

Our upcoming sailing had a $200 drop in the JS Guarantee rate. It lasted less than 3 hours so it "can" happen that fast.

I was fortunate that my TA was available and got me the new rate:D.

Yesterday we upgraded from an OV cabin to a balcony (D1 category) because of a special residency rate. I just checked the price (for the third time today) and noticed that the total price dropped another $560. I called RCCL to ask for the credit and because I booked through a TA, they have to wait for the TA to call about the price drop and credit.

My concern is that my TA is closed right now and that the price could increase overnight. I asked the rep at RCCL to put a note on my file that I called and printed out a copy of the total price quoted on the website.

What is the chance that the price will go up overnight and i'll lose out on the OBC?? $560 is an awful lot of fun!!

Livabeth

You found a special residency rate for Ontario!!! I have looked all the time and still have not found one yet! Which ship has the Special?

Thanks

Kathy:)

This is a good reason to book directly with RC rather than through a TA. When you see a price drop you can call immediately for the discount rather than worrying about if it will hold until the TA's office opens the next day. I've had nothing but top-notch service dealing directly with RC!

Livabeth

Y not put a courtesy hold on the temp booking thru RCCL and have it transferred tomorrow thru your TA

This is a good reason to book directly with RC rather than through a TA. When you see a price drop you can call immediately for the discount rather than worrying about if it will hold until the TA's office opens the next day. I've had nothing but top-notch service dealing directly with RC!

I always debate booking directly with RCI because of the availability convenience for price drop requests, but I hate giving up any OBC that I can get from booking with a TA.

This is why a home-based agent is a great asset. There is no "office" to open the next day, thus no reason to lose the rate drop, since he/she is oftne available when you need him/her. JMHO.

Its for the Explorer of Seas cruising on January 14, 2010.

Wow, that is a fabulous price drop and the first time I actually see a Special Residency Rate for Ontario.:D

Way to Go!!!

BTW, when we have had Senior Citizen Price Drops after final payment we received the credit back on our credit card. We also prefer to book directly with RCI.

Have a great cruise.

Just found a big price drop for my cruise this morning. It worked out just in time, because we (there's a group of us crusing in three cabins total) were going to the travel agent anyway to make final payments for our cruise on the Explorer (January 24, 2010). It was only on certain categories, so things had to be switched around a bit so that we all got a price drop ($349 drop pp for guest 1 & 2, and $100 drop pp for guest 3 & 4). I plan on using the savings to get more Bahama Mamas!!!

Just curious, someone posted on this thread that they were going on the January 14 cruise, which is the one leaving right before ours. I heard a few months ago that that particular cruise may be cancelled so RCI can have more time to complete the refurbishments in dry-dock. Has RCI given a more solid answer yet, or is it still up in the air?

To update everyone ... things worked out fine in the end. Our TA called RCCL this afternoon and we ended up getting us an even bigger obc. I am still speechless.

We are on the January 14th Explorer cruise. It was marked as unavailable for almost 2 months back in the late winter, but as far as we know ... everything is still a go.

Keep checking for rate drops ... i check twice a day and still can't believe the price dropped the way it did.

I am from Ontario as well. How do you see the residency deals? Is there a way other than just searching by destination? Thanks!!!!

On the RCCL cruise home page click on the "Exclusive Rates" button then check the appropriate boxes and select the state your desired cruise departs from.

Livabeth

That is why we use a travel agent who has 24/7 services.

I am new to cruising and so confused about price drops - I did not even know this could happen! My TA (Vacations To Go.com) said, after I asked him about price drops, to check for price drops....where do I check? the Vacations To Go site or directly on RCI???? here is what I paid: $299 plus $58 tx for guaranteed ocean view room - had to save money as we are going with two sons 18 &15 (after staying in Orlando condo for 11 days) boys have their own cabin also. Do you think I can expect a drop? I never knew about this cruise critic site until I had booked - wished I knew of it before :(

I am new to cruising and so confused about price drops - I did not even know this could happen! My TA (Vacations To Go.com) said, after I asked him about price drops, to check for price drops....where do I check? the Vacations To Go site or directly on RCI???? here is what I paid: $299 plus $58 tx for guaranteed ocean view room - had to save money as we are going with two sons 18 &15 (after staying in Orlando condo for 11 days) boys have their own cabin also. Do you think I can expect a drop? I never knew about this cruise critic site until I had booked - wished I knew of it before :(

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Welcome to Cruising - both are addictive!:D

Best place to check is on the RCI Website. Just go to the website and do a mock booking and see if the price is the same or lower than you paid. If it is lower then call your TA (I have never used a TA so I don't know if they all give the price drops) and tell them to request the price drop for you.

We book directly with RCI so that we can call them right away when we see a price drop.

You can see the prices on the RCI Website in either Canadian or US Dollars. We have been booking in Canadian dollars lately as the exchange is favourable.

You need to check the website often as a price drop could be there one day and gone the next.

Another thing you might want to do is join the Roll Call for your sailing. The Roll Call Section lists all the cruises by cruise line. Just search thru the RCI Roll Call section for your ship then the date of sailing. It is a great way to "meet" and "talk" to other passengers in advance of your cruise. Often someone from the Roll Call will post a note when there is a price drop.

One more tidbit. RCI has a loyalty program entitled Crown and Anchor Society. You can join after your first cruise. The details are on the RCI website; it certainly is one of the best cruising loyalty programs around.:)

Have fun on your cruise.

Archived