Carnival VS NCL

RetiredRich

Just back off the Miracle and wanted to post an opinion. We had heard NCL called the Motel 6 of cruise lines and now don't agree with that. We went on 6 NCL cruises before this one and now say there is no step down in quality from Carnival to NCL Our next cruise will probably be with NCL. The first thing that really got us was the lack of attention to clean hands. On NCL there was always a crew member greeting you in the buffet line and almost forcing you to use the hand cleaner. On the Miracle the dispencers were there for you to use but not everybody used it. I also found 2 of them empty and not filled back up while I ate. With this flu going around I thought that would be very important. Each line and each ship has its own little quirks but if you go there determined to enjoy the cruise you will enjoy as we did. But there are enough little differences to send us back to NCL. The crew was not as close and friendly as we have found on NCL. The entertainment with the exception of Malcum the cruise director was not very good. Best night was when they featured passenger talent for the show. The food in the buffet seemed better and more available than on NCL as we always used the buffet. On 2 different nights we were awakened at 2 am with a coded call for crew to respond. One was a girl had fell off her room balcony...very hard to do. But there was another deck below that she fell on and was injured. They put her and her drunk husband off at the next port. I don't know what the other alarm was for but both were very annoying. Our room with balcony was nice and had lots of storage room. But the balcony door didn't seal good and made a howling noise as the ship moved. Hard to get to sleep. I know I don't sound like a happy camper but I want to say again we enjoyed the cruise. I just don't like the Motel 6 thing on NCL cruise lines. I think it's more like NCL is Holiday Inn and Carnival is the Super 8 of cruise lines.

It's all subjective, I know, but we feel that Carnival and NCL are pretty much exactly equal in quality. I'm not sure it's fair to blame Carnival for safety alarms. Would you rather they not respond to passenger injuries?

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. Hopefully your next one on NCL will be better. I have decided to take my first cruise on NCL because of the itinerary to Hawaii. I am afraid of all the negatives I had heard, but I am there for the island not the ship.

Haven't been on my Carnival cruise yet. We leave on Mar 3.

I thought the food on NCL was barely edible!!

The buffet was worse than a school cafeteria and the dining room offerings were very boring.

I am hoping that Carnival will be better!!

We really liked the food on Royal Caribbean but wanted a new itinerary sooooooooo am going on the Carnival cruise with few expectations and just a bit of hope!!!

I've been on 2 NCL cruises & 1 CCL cruise. I think there are pros & cons to both lines & many similarities. I can't believe it when some posters here so adamantly put down a certain line.

I certainly wouldn't compare NCL to a Motel 6! Holy cow, no. I liked NCL ... & I liked CCL! I guess if you've only sailed on Cunard or something, then maybe NCL would seem "cheap".

It's been years since I've sailed on NCL, but by NO MEANS was it a Motel 6 (which I've never been to, but I assume it's a run down seedy motel).

I just found at the time they were trying to find their niche by trying to imitate everything Carnival was doing, but poorly. Why go second best, when you can have the real thing.

They may have changed over the years, but we've never been back.

Their food was GREAT, though!

I have about a 50/50 split between cruises on NCL and CCL so I feel I have a good grasp on the differences and pros and cons to my liking.

Carnival has better food

NCL has better suites and perks

Carnival has better shows

NCL has better dining times with freestyle

We have cruised four different lines at least once each. We have yet to have a bad cruise....we have however....had four different cruises!

It is natural to compare lines, but frankly Carnival, NCL, Princess and Holland America all have strengths and weaknesses. They all have good service....they usually have good itineraries....and they are price competitive in most categories.

I have come to the conclusion that the quality of the cruise is completely related to the management of the ship. If you have a good Chef, good Hotel Manager, good Guest Services Manager, and a good Captain then you simply have to have a good cruise. Every time we have had a problem....and they have been few and far between and minor....we could trace it back to the attitude and competence of the ship management. Mind you....it does take a measure of good luck to have good managers in all these departments on the same ship at the same time! :D

I think they are both in the same category. I liked that NCL didn't have the silly dancing waiter thing. But, I guess some like that. I also like not having to dress up, but then again some like that. I think the food is about the same. I think I remember feeling that Carnival's food all tasted the same but maybe that was NCL. Now Celebrity, that was a ship with some good food!!

Love Freestyle dining on NCL..assigned dining on Carnival..not so much

Food is about the same except I loved NCL cold soups and desserts more and NCL has a Chocoholic Buffet.

Rooms are pretty much the same except the balcony rooms are bigger and have sliding glass doors on NCL. Less noice, because they don't slam.

Liked Piano bar on CCL..not available on NCL

More choice on restaurants to eat at dinner from NCL than CCL. CCL has more choice at lunch.

Crews on both have been great! I have no complaints on either really. They have minor differences. Carnival offers more value for the money though. The price breaks on past guests on CCL are better than NCL. So NCL might want to consider offering better discounts for past guests.

Have been on 15 cruises including NCL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity and RCL. Last NCL cruise was Oct 08 to Med....did not like Freestyle dining...very inconvenient..had to make reservations everyday for our group of 8. Also, crew wasn't so friendly and they nickle and dimed us to death (as do most cruise lines now a days) We still had a wonderful time because of the intinerary. This was our 3rd NCL cruise.

We have been on 3 Carnival cruises and will be on the Miracle for New Years. I look forward to it being a fun cruise. Carnival's food is better than NCL, RCL service has been the best, Celebrity was wonderful but had a more "senior" population;, therefore, less partying. And Princess's service had gone down hill the last time we sailed them.

Each cruise line has it's pros and cons. I agree that each ship within the cruise line could be better/worse depending on upper management.

Honestly, we have had a bad cruise, just some more "special" than others.

As for the hand sanitizer, while it is a very good idea to clean your hands before going through the buffet Purell has NO effect on the flu virus.

Cruise-Crazy,

You are mistaken; Purell is effective at killing the flu virus.

We have cruised four different lines at least once each. We have yet to have a bad cruise....we have however....had four different cruises!

It is natural to compare lines, but frankly Carnival, NCL, Princess and Holland America all have strengths and weaknesses. They all have good service....they usually have good itineraries....and they are price competitive in most categories.

I have come to the conclusion that the quality of the cruise is completely related to the management of the ship. If you have a good Chef, good Hotel Manager, good Guest Services Manager, and a good Captain then you simply have to have a good cruise. Every time we have had a problem....and they have been few and far between and minor....we could trace it back to the attitude and competence of the ship management. Mind you....it does take a measure of good luck to have good managers in all these departments on the same ship at the same time! :D

It so refreshing to read the comments of someone who is sensible-thank you!!!

Haven't been on my Carnival cruise yet. We leave on Mar 3.

I thought the food on NCL was barely edible!!

The buffet was worse than a school cafeteria and the dining room offerings were very boring.

I am hoping that Carnival will be better!!

We really liked the food on Royal Caribbean but wanted a new itinerary sooooooooo am going on the Carnival cruise with few expectations and just a bit of hope!!!

IMO ccl, rccl and ncl are all about the same as far as the ship goes and we have been on all three.

on NCL we mostly did the premium restaurants so not real sure about all the food , except to say that we never had a problem with the buffet or DR when we did use them .

Personally feel Carnival has the better food from the 3 but that is my opinion and may not be the same as others .

WE choose itenary and price in our decision to book the cruise, iten first and then price. If multiple lines have the same iten we choose price everytime.

You should be happy with your cruise

Cruise-Crazy,

You are mistaken; Purell is effective at killing the flu virus.

As a germaphobe, I agree with PaulMedik. The following from the CDC at http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

"Contamination & Cleaning

How long can influenza virus remain viable on objects (such as books and doorknobs)?

Studies have shown that influenza virus can survive on environmental surfaces and can infect a person for 2 to 8 hours after being deposited on the surface.

What kills influenza virus?

Influenza virus is destroyed by heat (167-212°F [75-100°C]). In addition, several chemical germicides, including chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, detergents (soap), iodophors (iodine-based antiseptics), and alcohols are effective against human influenza viruses if used in proper concentration for a sufficient length of time.

*What if soap and water are not available and alcohol-based products are not allowed in my facility? Updated on Sept 14

If soap and water are not available and alcohol-based products are not allowed, other hand sanitizers that do not contain alcohol may be useful.

What surfaces are most likely to be sources of contamination?

Germs can be spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth. Droplets from a cough or sneeze of an infected person move through the air. Germs can be spread when a person touches respiratory droplets from another person on a surface like a desk, for example, and then touches their own eyes, mouth or nose before washing their hands.

How should waste disposal be handled to prevent the spread of influenza virus?

To prevent the spread of influenza virus, it is recommended that tissues and other disposable items used by an infected person be thrown in the trash. Additionally, persons should wash their hands with soap and water after touching used tissues and similar waste.

What household cleaning should be done to prevent the spread of influenza virus?

To prevent the spread of influenza virus it is important to keep surfaces (especially bedside tables, surfaces in the bathroom, kitchen counters and toys for children) clean by wiping them down with a household disinfectant according to directions on the product label.

How should linens, eating utensils and dishes of persons infected with influenza virus be handled?

Linens, eating utensils, and dishes belonging to those who are sick do not need to be cleaned separately, but importantly these items should not be shared without washing thoroughly first.

Linens (such as bed sheets and towels) should be washed by using household laundry soap and tumbled dry on a hot setting. Individuals should avoid "hugging" laundry prior to washing it to prevent contaminating themselves. Individuals should wash their hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub immediately after handling dirty laundry.

Eating utensils should be washed either in a dishwasher or by hand with water and soap."

There have been studies performed in health care settings that show no decrease in transmission of disease when alcohol based hand gels are used though. Fingernails that extend past the fingertip, rings and improper use of the gel may be factors. Hand washing with soap and water is always preferable. Excuse me while I go and wash my hands now. :p

I do know that but seems from these boards that it is full a lot of time when you are booking your cabin. NCL you don't have to deal with it at all.

Everyone is anytime dining.

and that is what is great about the differences between ships and lines... the reason I didn't book a NCL cruise was because I didnt want to have to wait to eat and don't mind dining at a specific time... had they had a sit down dining time, I likely would have booked just to check it out.

what everyone likes is very subjective, and you do what is good for you... i'll never speak ill of NCL, i just am not a fan of anytime dining, and traveling with a child, id prefer to eat when is good and not have to deal with reservations, lines, or anything of the sort... it also helps that the first seating time is also when we typically eat dinner at home, so its neither too early nor too late and we'd be eating then anyways.

I have only cruised on NCL, 5 cruises, but have a 7 day on the Triumph booked on Dec 12. We love NCL Freestyle dining. We have only had to wait for a table once, the wait was 5 minutes. We love being able to choose when we want to eat. We may plan on a time, but get distracted, i.e.; husband falls asleep while I'm getting ready, or getting interested in a movie, and wanting to see the end. I'm not sure how we are going to fair on the Triumph. When I booked, I thought it had anytime dining, but it doesn't. We have early dining; I hope we can get a table for 2. Love NCL, but nothing else to compare it to. It’s only a 2 hour drive to New Orleans, and we have already done the NCL itinerary. So, we are giving Carnival a try with an open mind.

It's been years since I've sailed on NCL, but by NO MEANS was it a Motel 6 (which I've never been to, but I assume it's a run down seedy motel).

I just found at the time they were trying to find their niche by trying to imitate everything Carnival was doing, but poorly. Why go second best, when you can have the real thing.

They may have changed over the years, but we've never been back.

Their food was GREAT, though!

Same here for me. My 2nd cruise was on the old NCL Seaward many many years ago. After the debacle of our first cruise, this is what rescued us from the "never again" crowd. We had a great time. The food was excellent, service supreme, and the ship was beautiful (cabins a little smaller, as I recall). The cruise was a big success . . . the marriage, not so much. :D

We have only cruised NCL and truly love it. But in honesty, I think any cruise is what you make it to be. If we do get a mediocre meal or something, we simply don't dwell on it. The good always outweighs the bad.

Just relax and enjoy!!

Most Carnival ships have anytime dining now.

It's not quite the same as true "Freestyle". This is one thing that NCL does extremely well and I think the other lines are making a poor imitation with their versions of anytime dining.

Archived