Courtyard or Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale

Schmoe38

We are looking at booking one of these 2 hotels for the day prior to our upcoming cruise. We will be arriving early so we would like some time to wander around. Can anyone let us know which hotel would be closer to shopping and other points of interest.

Hi,

We vote for the Embassy Suites, too. If memory serves me correctly, the Courtyard is farther from the cruise port than the very close-at-hand Embassy Suites.

I'll attach a link to photos of this hotel:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570037918zeMCfr

The first 2 photos in that album are in-transit airline shots. You can ignore those. :D

Whichever hotel you select, have a GREAT time and a marvelous cruise!!

CM

We are looking at booking one of these 2 hotels for the day prior to our upcoming cruise. We will be arriving early so we would like some time to wander around. Can anyone let us know which hotel would be closer to shopping and other points of interest.

Schmoe38 - you will be on our sailing. Did you check the Comfort Suites Air port and Cruise port hotel?

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th and LOVED it!! From our balcony, we could see the cruiseport in the morning, and our ship waiting for us. It's also nice to have the hosted evening reception and breakfast. They have a cruise and stay package that includes shuttle to the ship on YOUR time, as opposed to fighting for it.

As a previous poster said, there is a shopping plaza adjacent to the Embassy Suites. Along with a couple of interesting shops, it has a few restaurants, and a Publix supermarket.

Also, there is a bus that runs on 17th street, which is the street Embassy Suites is on, that will take you down to the public beach area. You can then catch another bus to take you to the upper part of Las Olas Boulevard, which has a ton of toney shops, and a lot of restaurants. Depending on what day and the time of year, you may be able to catch a free trolley to the same locations. Ask at the concierge (or equivalent) at Embassy Suites, they should know.

The last few times we have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, we have stayed at the Renaissance, which is down the street from Embassy Suites. We have taken both the buses and trolleys as described above, since they run right past it.

Wherever you end up, enjoy your time there, and as well your cruise.

Sid1962

We also vote for Embassy. There also is a liquor store right across the street that has a wonderful collection of wines for purchasing your two legal bottles (and whatever other booty you might want to have :p).

It is a bit pricier than other hotels but the location/breakfast/port transportation makes it worth while. It is not on demand to the port, you do need to sign up. They have 1/2 hour slots departing from the hotel (that should give you an idea how close you are since there is only one van).

It is a bit pricier than other hotels but the location/breakfast/port transportation makes it worth while. It is not on demand to the port, you do need to sign up. They have 1/2 hour slots departing from the hotel (that should give you an idea how close you are since there is only one van).

They have a shuttle? I (thought I) looked at all the information about the Embassy Suites, and saw nothing about a shuttle. Do you sign up at check-in, or can you reserve it earlier? How much does it cost?

We booked it because it's centrally located, has a decent breakfast, and has suites, so the kids can be in one room and mom and dad in the other. :D

They have a shuttle? I (thought I) looked at all the information about the Embassy Suites, and saw nothing about a shuttle. Do you sign up at check-in, or can you reserve it earlier? How much does it cost?

We booked it because it's centrally located, has a decent breakfast, and has suites, so the kids can be in one room and mom and dad in the other. :D

When I checked in August, I was told it's $7/person. Can't answer the rest of your questions. See you a few weeks!

There was a shuttle last time we were there. I can't remember the cost, but they had us at the ship by 1030 so I can't complain.

I liked the Embassy Suites. Close to a grocery store, liquor store and a few restaurants within walking distance.

I have to admit I haven't stayed there in a couple years but if you dig they do have information on transportation to the port:

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/hotels/hotelpromo.jhtml?ctyhocn=FLLSOES&promo=cruise

Don't know how much it adds (maybe it comes with a bottle of Bon Voyage champagne :p).

We looked at Embassy's Cruise package which includes transportation from the hotel to the cruise port. It does not include transportation from the airport to the hotel. The cost of the cruise package works out to be approximately $20 per couple more than the package without the transportation to the cruise port. We took the regular package and plan on taking a cab from the hotel to the cruise port. It is only about 1/2 mile and we understand the cab fare will run about $12.00. We also like the flexibility of a cab ride as opposed to the schedule of the hotel shuttle.

We looked at Embassy's Cruise package which includes transportation from the hotel to the cruise port.

We looked at the package too, and it totally doesn't fit with what I needed. It was something like $45 more than the rate we scored, so the only thing it has is (possibly) convenience. If the hotel offers a shuttle for hire, that would be best for us. We've got six folks, including two kids, so standard taxis are less than ideal. If they have a big van we can pay per passenger, I'd be open to doing that.

We had considered the Marriott Courtyard, but opted against it due to location. It is just down the street from a Dave & Busters, but it doesn't offer the nightly reception or breakfast, both of which will make the pre-cruise stay just a bit nicer.

We looked at the package too, and it totally doesn't fit with what I needed. It was something like $45 more than the rate we scored, so the only thing it has is (possibly) convenience. If the hotel offers a shuttle for hire, that would be best for us. We've got six folks, including two kids, so standard taxis are less than ideal. If they have a big van we can pay per passenger, I'd be open to doing that.

We had considered the Marriott Courtyard, but opted against it due to location. It is just down the street from a Dave & Busters, but it doesn't offer the nightly reception or breakfast, both of which will make the pre-cruise stay just a bit nicer.

As the previous poster mentioned, the shuttle is not always flexible, you may not be able to go when you wish to. Two taxis may be the best way to go as it is only a ten minute ride....

Schmoe38 - you will be on our sailing. Did you check the Comfort Suites Air port and Cruise port hotel?

I think we must have checked out every hotel in the Ft Lauderdale area. Thank you very much for your recommendation. We originally booked the Courtyard after reading all the reviews, but soon realized it was a little out of the way if we wanted to do some walking around. Embassy Suites was our 2nd choice at the time, so we have just finalized that booking. It turns out there is a wine store nearby...now that's what I call shopping!

Looking forward to meeting you at the Connections Party.

Randy

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites on two different occasions. The first time we just took a taxi to the port (4 of us). Last year we didn't book the hotel transfer because it would be more than a taxi for the 4 of us. While we were waiting for the taxi the hotel shuttle made us a very good offer and we took them to the pier. Just "hang" around the front entrance and you might find a deal to be had!!

Right now E suites is asking over $300 a night for Feb 12. I don't think I'm paying that for Embassy suites.

Yikes--that's pretty out of whack. Could that still possibly be spillover from the Super Bowl (Feb 7 down the road in Miami)? A stretch, but I can't imagine why else it would ever be that high.

Archived