Mycenae or Epidaurus??

WooKeef

hello, just a quick question that I hope to get some feedback on. We are stopping in Nauplion, Greece in May while on Azamara, Journey. debating which is better to see...Mycenae or Epidaurus. Also, wondering about how to get there...does anyone have a private tour they would recommend?:confused::confused:

Also, as a afterthought. We are doing a back to back and stopping at Katakolon, Greece as well...any suggestions regarding that stop?

I do very much appreciate any feedback we may get.

If you have to choose one over the other, I'd choose Mycenae over Epidavros. Mycenae is the Bronze age Greek city of King Agamemnon and his family (of Iliad fame as well many Greek tragedies, etc). But many private tours I've see do both, so if you have a full day in port, you should be able to do them.

Katakolon is the port for Olympia, home of the ancient Olympic games and a famous temple of Zeus that once housed one of the ancient worlds' seven wonders: the Olympian Zeus statue.

Again, if you're in Olympia for a full day, you can get to Olympia and back easily on your own by train (very easy and inexpensive, search this board for all the details), rent a car, or take a tour.

If you have to choose one over the other, I'd choose Mycenae over Epidavros. Mycenae is the Bronze age Greek city of King Agamemnon and his family (of Iliad fame as well many Greek tragedies, etc). But many private tours I've see do both, so if you have a full day in port, you should be able to do them.

Katakolon is the port for Olympia, home of the ancient Olympic games and a famous temple of Zeus that once housed one of the ancient worlds' seven wonders: the Olympian Zeus statue.

Again, if you're in Olympia for a full day, you can get to Olympia and back easily on your own by train (very easy and inexpensive, search this board for all the details), rent a car, or take a tour.

Thanks Cynthia,

I had pretty much figured Mycenae was the way to go...but you can get a good overall opinion here about things that can change a girls mind ocassionally:p. I am looking for a good guide...I will see if any is mentioned here.

I am glad Olympia is easy to access...we have a good full day, I think from 9-5 there, so that should be fine.

hello, just a quick question that I hope to get some feedback on. We are stopping in Nauplion, Greece in May while on Azamara, Journey. debating which is better to see...Mycenae or Epidaurus. Also, wondering about how to get there...does anyone have a private tour they would recommend?:confused::confused:

Both places are very unique and special! On a day-trip from Athens prior to starting our cruise, we had a day-trip with a private guide/driver doing the Peloponnesian area, including Corinth, Mycenae ruins, Epidaurus and Nauplion. It was very enjoyable to see it all.

If you were forced to choose, I agree with Cynthia that Mycenae offers more to see and experience than Epidaurus. At the Mycenae, you have the large grouping of city ruins, a small but nice museum, the old tomb, etc. The Mycenae history is very unique and in this setting, you get a better "feel" for what their empire was about so many centuries ago. Epidaurus has its exceptional acoustics and a very nice setting. Both are wonderful and they are not that far apart. If you can afford it or make the arrangements, you should be able to do both, probably by a private tour. Many ship tours tend to be half-day activities that are going to be more like just one or the other. At Nauplion, its fortress has a great location above this city and offers nice views from its strategic position.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Frequently the ship's tours will include both Mycenae and Epidaurus. Both are very itneresting. If you have to choose only one, basically it is a choice between the citadel of Mycenae or the theater of Epidaurus. Which is most interesting to you?

We booked with Nick from Greek Taxi http://***** and had a wonderful private tour of the Peleponessus. The sites we chose were Mycenae, Nemea and Epidaurus and we did the whole thing easily in one day. Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

At Katakalon we chose the ship's Olympia and Zorba trip. Usually there is enough time to tour the site at Olympia and ONE other thing ... museum, shopping, meal, zorba dancing, whatever. Check out the same site as above.

Have a GREAT cruise!

At Katakalon we chose the ship's Olympia and Zorba trip. Usually there is enough time to tour the site at Olympia and ONE other thing ... museum, shopping, meal, zorba dancing, whatever. Check out the same site as above.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for the feedback...for some reason there is no info on Azamara's sight regarding this shore excursion...but I think we will go with it as our token ship shore excursion. We usually stay away from it but seems a practical solution in this case. I just love ancient history...anyone who doesn't should not come to that part of the world for vacation. of course the sunsets are amazing and worth any amount of money to see.

Thanks for the feedback...for some reason there is no info on Azamara's sight regarding this shore excursion...but I think we will go with it as our token ship shore excursion. We usually stay away from it but seems a practical solution in this case. I just love ancient history...anyone who doesn't should not come to that part of the world for vacation. of course the sunsets are amazing and worth any amount of money to see.

As Cynthia mentioned above, you also easily can take the train to and from Olympia from Katakolon for just a few Euros, or rent a car for about 45 Euros for the day from the rental agency right across from the dock. In both cases, you will have more time to enjoy the excellent museum located right next to the ruins than you will on any ship's tour. The label copy at that museum is excellent for self-touring, and the artifacts there, as well as the air-conditioning, are top-notch.

As Cynthia mentioned above, you also easily can take the train to and from Olympia from Katakolon for just a few Euros, or rent a car for about 45 Euros for the day from the rental agency right across from the dock. In both cases, you will have more time to enjoy the excellent museum located right next to the ruins than you will on any ship's tour. The label copy at that museum is excellent for self-touring, and the artifacts there, as well as the air-conditioning, are top-notch.

I had heard that there was some negative aspect to taking the train??? I figured it was fine as long as you minded the schedule. Thanks for the input.

Somewhere around on CC there's a thread about an easy public bus trip to Mycenae. Probably on the Greece board.

I agree that you should try to do both. Epidavros is a wonderful well-preserved amphitheatre--if you are seeing other amphitheatres on your trip, such as Ephesus, you could choose Mycenae alone. We saw them on separate days but had a week in Napflion. If you do one, spend some time just roaming around the old city--Venetian and quite beautiful.

I had heard that there was some negative aspect to taking the train??? I figured it was fine as long as you minded the schedule. Thanks for the input.

Not sure to what you refer regarding the train.

We rented a car because the train schedule one year ago simply did not work for our visit. Our ship was docked in Katakolon for the afternoon only, not the whole day, and the train schedule would not provide enough time for us to enjoy the site because we are very interested in history/archaelogy and needed more than two hours in Olympia itself for our visit. The car drive is very easy, 30 minutes each way with parking right by the museum and site, so it worked out great for us.

Took the train to Olympia a few weeks ago. Station is closeby cruise dock. You pay on board for a return ticket. 2 or 3E. Pleasant 40 minute ride. When you get to Olympia its no more than 5 minutes to the Archaelogical Museum and the ancient site. You do have to mind the clock. You should have 2 return times to choose from. Lots of info on the train on this board if you do a search.

I agree that you should try to do both. Epidavros is a wonderful well-preserved amphitheatre--if you are seeing other amphitheatres on your trip, such as Ephesus, you could choose Mycenae alone. We saw them on separate days but had a week in Napflion. If you do one, spend some time just roaming around the old city--Venetian and quite beautiful.

Agree on most all of what Wendy is sharing. My only added comment is that these two amphitheatres are both very great . . . and also a little different! Epidavros is smaller and a really great super audio treasure. At Ephesus, its outdoor theatre is much larger and more in the open. Plus, you will be seeing the great Roman ruins and relics there. Clearly seeing BOTH would be best. Napflion is a very nice town. We had lunch there along the water. Its shopping area is also very nice.

• 2 months later...
Frequently the ship's tours will include both Mycenae and Epidaurus. Both are very itneresting. If you have to choose only one, basically it is a choice between the citadel of Mycenae or the theater of Epidaurus. Which is most interesting to you?

We booked with Nick from Greek Taxi http://***** and had a wonderful private tour of the Peleponessus. The sites we chose were Mycenae, Nemea and Epidaurus and we did the whole thing easily in one day. Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Do you remember the approximate price of your tour from Napflion? thanks

Do you remember the approximate price of your tour from Napflion? thanks

Don't know that exact pricing for our Ohio neighbor, but here are some pictures to show some of the differences in what you will see at these two locations.

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

For a Mycene ruler, this was his burial place with its space for a carved triangle:

PelPenMyBurial.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties. It is located on the Peloponnesos Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

The outdoor theater at Ephesus is fully lighted for events in the evening:

EphNightOutTheat.jpg

I can't reiterate this enough. Have your Plan "A", but also a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. It happened frequently, as we were trying to do as much independently (to save money) as we could.

We had planned to take the train to Olympia, but the day we were there, the train was not running. We arrived to be told, the train had to be repaired. We did not have an alternative plan, so we ended up just walking/shopping Katakolon, and not even going to Olympia. Then returning to the ship.

I can't reiterate this enough. Have your Plan "A", but also a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart. It happened frequently, as we were trying to do as much independently (to save money) as we could.

We had planned to take the train to Olympia, but the day we were there, the train was not running. We arrived to be told, the train had to be repaired. We did not have an alternative plan, so we ended up just walking/shopping Katakolon, and not even going to Olympia. Then returning to the ship.

EXCELLENT POINT!!! You do need to think about and have those Plans A, B and C. Weather can be another reason for needing to adjust. That "outdoor plan A" might need to be adjusted due to heavy rain. Or, the ship might scrub a tour because the number signed up is not large enough to satisfy them or their local vendor. Something indoors might need to be considered.

Archived