Anyone miss family on a Christmas cruise?

Lovetwocruz2009

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I have been a lurker for a long time.

I booked my 40th birthday (Dec 23rd) cruise on Splendor this year and now I am feeling a bit wierd about being away from family on Christmas. I invited friends and family but no one could afford to go. So me and the hubby are traveling alone. We don't have children.

I am starting to miss my parents, siblings, nieces and nephew already and I haven't left home yet. I am hoping I will have such a great time that I will get over it. Maybe I am being a bit emotional as it is the big 40.

We had a blast last year on the Spirit over New Years Eve. (just the two of us) It was my husband's 40 bday. I guess I thought I would feel the same about my celebration.

Anyone else have the blues on a holiday cruise?

Our extended family usually cruises with us during the holidays. Have a get-together before you leave - call it an "early Christmas celebration." Then go enjoy yourself on the cruise! You will then have the best of both worlds!

when we did our christmas cruise we started about 2 weeks early and spent time with everyone , setting aside time for the various groups . it was great as we had more time with everyone than the usual hustle and bustle of doing it all in one day .

With a few of my family members , if I ever missed them ....I would just reload and fire again. :)

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :D That is a good one.

I would miss them, but I'd still have fun. And the family would want you to have fun too. The Big 4-0 is a liberating age to be. Free your mind and enjoy yourself. You only turn 40 once, so live it up. Be the fabulous 40 Diva that you are! :D

With a few of my family members , if I ever missed them ....I would just reload and fire again. :)

Hillarious:D Thanks for a good laugh! Seriously, though, we decided to go cruising (with our immediate family) at Christmas partially as a tactful way to encourage certain problematic inlaws to get out of the habit of coming to our house.

This isn't a cruise experience, but it might help! My parents moved down to Florida a couple years ago, originally from the Philly area. My Mom's favorite holiday is Christmas and she's flown up every year for Christmas since moving down. Last year she decided that she didn't want to fly up, of course I flew down, so we had immediate family around, but her brother, nieces, mother, father, etc. were all up in PA (she invited everyone down, but when we lived in Jersey you should have heard the uproar about crossing the bridge, so it wasn't surprising that no one came down.) She was really broken up about the whole "I'm not going to be around my family for Chrimstas, it's going to be so different this year." etc etc... The day came and went, we used skype to talk to them (on a Cruise ship it might be better to just use the phone! haha...) and this year? She's decided to stay in FL again. Long story short, the build up to the day, getting yourself all worked up, is worse than the actual day. At the end of the day, on Christmas, you're still with someone you love, and that's what matters. So go, have a good time, spend the money to call your family on Christmas day. It'll be fine :)

Hillarious:D Thanks for a good laugh! Seriously' date=' though, we decided to go cruising (with our immediate family) at Christmas partially as a tactful way to encourage certain problematic inlaws to get out of the habit of coming to our house.[/quote']

I hear ya :)

Like my dad used to joke ... "Sometimes I think I would rather have OUTLAWS than In Laws" *LOL*

I hear ya :)

Like my dad used to joke ... "Sometimes I think I would rather have OUTLAWS than In Laws" *LOL*

My mom got it right. She actually married an orphan and said not having inlaws was the silver lining to that cloud. We did consider the cheaper alternative of hiding in the garage all day and not answering the doorbell, but cruising is so much more fun:)

You are going to have so much fun! The Splendor is such a beautiful ship and the ports are so much FUN!!! Just think you don't have to clean, or cook, or entertain ANYONE! It is all about you and your DH as you deserve it for your big Birthday. I would much rather be with you toasting your big day then being stressed about Christmas and shopping and making family happy. Have a wonderful Birthday and a fantastic cruise!

We fly out this year on Christmas day for our New Years cruise and NO I am not going to miss my family! This is my DW and mine Christmas to each other. Our youngest is now 18 and every other Christmas has been about them. This year is our turn!:D We told them a long time ago, there was no Christmas this year other than we are having a dinner "get together" the noght before we leave.

Hi everyone,

I booked my 40th birthday (Dec 23rd) cruise on Splendor this year and now I am feeling a bit wierd about being away from family on Christmas. I invited friends and family but no one could afford to go. So me and the hubby are traveling alone. We don't have children.

I am starting to miss my parents, siblings, nieces and nephew already and I haven't left home yet. I am hoping I will have such a great time that I will get over it. Maybe I am being a bit emotional as it is the big 40.

We had a blast last year on the Spirit over New Years Eve. (just the two of us) It was my husband's 40 bday. I guess I thought I would feel the same about my celebration.

Think of this as a chance to view your holidays a little differently. Have a big family blow out for New Year's this year instead of Christmas and have a romatic Christmas with your husband.

Hi everyone,

We did our first Christmas/New Year Cruise last year and like you I was feeling a little blue about it. I'm the one that cooks the dinner for my family (about 13 come for dinner...not as large as some families, but still large enought when preparing a meal). My husband thought I deserved a break so we went on our cruise along with our sons aged 18 and 21 last year. We did a small gift exchange before we left, but I didn't do a dinner with my family (that was the point of going on the cruise). We sent them a Christmas email from the ship.

We had a fantastic time!!!! It was so much fun...different but still great. The ship was decorated beautifully; carol sing on Christmas Eve, Christmas turkey. I especially love being on a cruise ship for New Year's Eve (we have done this twice).

The Blues...yes I have them this year...I'm not going anywhere and I'm cooking again:(

Its your "special birthday" ... go enjoy it. You'll have great memories!!!

Truer words, my friend, have not been spoken.

I've been trying to talk certain family members into a Christmas cruise for the past year to avoid the yearly Sturm und Drang over who's going to who's house for what meal. :rolleyes:

Most of my family will be with us this year for our Christmas Cruise. I originally booked just myself, BF and my kids. Couple months later my dad and step mother decided since my kids would be gone for Christmas they might as well come along too. Then my mother figured she would come. Then in August my sister and her husband figured they would come along too. So our group of 4 is now 10.

Only one not coming is my other sister and her husband and their three kids. My mom will actually miss being with them at Christmas but they always do a huge get together with the BIL's family and my mom always feels a bit left out. We will get together with them to exchange presents at New Years instead.

As a kid every other year we would switch off hosting Christmas Eve dinner with my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins, now as the cousins are older and moved away, and the Aunt & Uncle have a Time Share in Hawaii they go to Hawaii and return home a day or to before Christmas (they get home at 9 pm on the 18th this year and fly at 7 am on the 19th) so now we do our thing at Thanksgiving, less stree for all of us and she doesn't come home from Hawaii needing to set up the tree, decorate of figure out what to cook.

My Christmas's are spent cruising with my Mom (a widow), my Daughter and I ....... so the important ones are with me ........ besides it cuts down on the DD Christmas list ........ I told her this year her Christmas gift was 110,000 tons, with a red stripe down the side named GLORY :D

Hi everyone,

I am starting to miss my parents, siblings, nieces

and nephew already and I haven't left home yet. I am hoping I will have such a great time that I will

get over it. Maybe I am being a bit emotional as it

is the big 40.

I know what you mean, except I have three grown children and have never been away from them for Christmas from day one. A few years ago we moved back to my home town to be with my elderly parents and none of the children could be with us at Christmas, all three were in different states. We decided to go to Las Vegas for the first time hoping that would help. It actually did help, there I was at the slot machines singing christmas carols with a bunch of other women on christmas eve. None of us had the children with us, all the women had grown children just like me. We helped each other. It was fun, but that was the last time I didn't have all the kids with me at christmas. After my parents passed away I moved to the state that my one and only grandchild lives and the other two children are only three hours away so we spend Christmas with them every year.

Go for it and if you don't like it don't do it again. I'm sure you will have fun any way. E-mail them on Christmas day.

Have fun.

Archived