What's the best way to do this?

MaryL31

My DH does not drink wine, but I do. There is no way I'd go through more than 2 bottles over the course of a 7 night cruise. We eat in the MDR most of the time, but not every night. Wine with dinner is nice, but I would prefer to have it in the room to have a glass as I wish...usually pre-dinner while relaxing and leisurely dressing for dinner. I know the mark-up is huge, but I would not mind, as I don't drink much...I have always been under the impression that I cannot take a purchased bottle to my room, even if I purchase it on the ship...is this true? I, of course, know that bringing it onboard is out of the question. So, what is the best option for me? I hate the thoughts of buying it by the glass....

My DH does not drink wine, but I do. There is no way I'd go through more than 2 bottles over the course of a 7 night cruise. We eat in the MDR most of the time, but not every night. Wine with dinner is nice, but I would prefer to have it in the room to have a glass as I wish...usually pre-dinner while relaxing and leisurely dressing for dinner. I know the mark-up is huge, but I would not mind, as I don't drink much...I have always been under the impression that I cannot take a purchased bottle to my room, even if I purchase it on the ship...is this true? I, of course, know that bringing it onboard is out of the question. So, what is the best option for me? I hate the thoughts of buying it by the glass....

An advantage of buying by the glass, Mary, is that you can have a nice variety.

An option for you: Buy a bottle at dinner the first night off the wine list. When you don't finish it, ask the waiter to cork it for you. You can either leave it there for the next night OR you can take it with you!

The best option for you, as another poster stated, is to buy a bottle in the dining room and bring what you don't drink back to your cabin. Then you will have it there to drink at your leisure. You can then order another bottle the next night in the dining room and have them keep it for you for the other nights.

The only thing you can't take to your cabin is a whole bottle of liquor. You can take bottles of wine, or cocktails or beer that you buy at one of the bars. Or, you can order room service for those things.

RCI doesn't object to your drinking in your room....they just want you to pay their price while you do!

Thanks for the replies...if I choose to have a bottle delivered by room service, will they supply a corkscrew, and will they charge a corkage fee for it?

I would either take a corkscrew with you - or ask them to open it for you.

They won't charge a corkage fee for it - you bought the wine from them.

Have a Great Time!!!:D

Guest maddycat

A corkage fee is only charged when you bring a bottle of wine TO the dinning room. Our travel agent always sends a bottle of wine to our cabin. It arrives with wine glasses and a cork screw. No need to bring your own cork screw.

:) Remember that once opened wine begins to oxidise, even if you put the cork back in. Oxidation of ethyl alchol produces a side effect, the formation of acetyl aldehyde, a nasty tasty and smelling substance. I can definitely taste a wine and know it has been open a while. Most ordinary people won't notice it so much the first 24 hrs, but it is almost unavoidable thereafter.

Enjoy your cruise and your wine!:)

Archived