Serious injuries in Jeep crash in Cozumel

shorton

No one should EVER drive a car in Mexico. I drove a company car once in Monterrey, and will never do so again.

If you don't die, they will throw you in jail for having a car accident that injures someone. That's no lie - have a wreck, go directly to jail, don't pass GO and don't collect $200.

Years ago my cousin and his wife were on vacation in Mexico. They along with many others took a bus to the airport for their return flight. On the way to the airport, the driver hit and killed a child :eek:. The driver pulled over, stopped the bus and just walked away from it leaving the americans on board. :eek:

The Americans, knowing they were left in a very bad situation and horrified about what happened quickly got off the bus, grabbed their bags and began flagging down cabs to get out of the area ASAP. They all knew that it would have not bode well for them to be there when the police showed up even though none of them were driving the bus.

Any further news on the condition of the passengers in this tragic

accident.?

I heard the cop died last Wenesday from her injuries. The driver of the other jeep is doing great he is out of the Hospital. The others are doing good too and also out of the hospital. The people I'm talking about are the Disney Cast memebers. The other jeep the yellow 1 I dont know anything about. The reason I now about the Dsiney ones are cuz I have a friend who is frends with the driver and they keep in touch every once in awhile and he talks to other Disney cast friends on facebook.

I heard the cop died last Wenesday from her injuries. The driver of the other jeep is doing great he is out of the Hospital. The others are doing good too and also out of the hospital. The people I'm talking about are the Disney Cast memebers. The other jeep the yellow 1 I dont know anything about. The reason I now about the Dsiney ones are cuz I have a friend who is frends with the driver and they keep in touch every once in awhile and he talks to other Disney cast friends on facebook.

The police officer from Tampa has not passed. She is fighting for her life and could still use the prayers from everyone. Thank you.

This is another reason why you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy travel protection insurance!!!! People are so cheap and think they won't need it, but spend the extramoney and protect yourself and your family!!!

Being "cheap" is not the only reason people do not buy insurance esp if they are young with little experience of the world.

They think I am going on the cruise so why should I have insurance. Not one time does it cross most people's mind that they could be in a terrible car crash in another country or one of the other couls happens that could happen.

Same reason peope do not get a passport. The thinking stops at the point it is not required to get on the ship.

My first thought too was travel insurance but if they were cast members on Disney they were not on the cruise as guests and I don't know if there is a policy they could have gotten to cover their contract time on board the ship. I'm assuming Disney offers no insurance to the crew.

Prayers to all involved and their families

This is horrible!

We just came back from the Freedom last week and also rented a Jeep in Cozumel. In fact, we also visited that exact intersection to see the ruins. WOW!

It's a sad story, but it will not discourage me from renting a car again. Like most people are stating, accidents happen anywhere. We rent cars in when we take land vacations, why shouldn't we for a sea vacation? True, you need to be more attentive to your surroundings when outside the US.

I do not knock those people that chose to stay with Carnival excursions - however, you really are missing out on soooooo much when you do a Carnival tour.

This is what we managed to see in our 8 hours on the island.

8:00 am - pulled into port

9:00 am - we get off the ship

9:15 am - off and running with our Jeep

9:30 am - San Gervasio ruins

11:15 am - Coconuts bar and beach

11:45 pm - blow holes along the east coast of the island

12:15 pm - visit the light house on the southside of the island

12:45 pm - Carlos N' Charlies - parasailing and a few drinkies

3:45 pm - Shopping at downtown

4:30 pm - back on the ship

There is no way, we could have seen this much on a Carnival tour. I recommend it for anyone who is willing to be adventurous.

I agree totally. We've rented jeeps and cars all over the Caribbean. Accidents happen. Once you've BTDT with the cruise lines if you want to see and learn more you have to either do indy tours or take yourself.

We are on Carnival Legend in Jan and will be renting a car in Cozumel for the second time. We rented mopeds also once before.

Terrible, terrible thing though.:(

No one should EVER drive a car in Mexico. I drove a company car once in Monterrey, and will never do so again.

If you don't die, they will throw you in jail for having a car accident that injures someone. That's no lie - have a wreck, go directly to jail, don't pass GO and don't collect $200.

I totally disagree. I have rented vehicles in Cozumel many times. Accidents happen.............accident did'nt have anything to do with 'crazy Cozumel drivers'

First of all. My prayers go out to the victims, injured, and their families. What a very tragic event.

Some comments below.

Mexico has traffic laws very similar to the United States. The application of their laws is what accounts for the differences, and the reasons for needing Mexican insurance. The law in Mexico is based on the Napoleonic Code where guilt prevails over the assumption of innocence. In the U.S., the law is based on the English Common Law where innocence prevails over the assumption of guilt. Mexico does not have compulsory automobile insurance. The basic difference between Mexico's and United States financial responsibility law is that anyone involved in an accident in Mexico must have the means to respond to damages or injuries for which they may be responsible....which in Mexico would be in the form of either cash or a Mexican insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Whether or not U.S. insurance policy extends coverage into Mexico, the LIABILITY coverage on a Mexican insurance should at least always be purchased. The Liability coverage on your U.S., or any other non-Mexican insurance policy, is not recognized by authorities in Mexico. Only a Mexican automobile liability policy is acceptable evidence of financial responsibility.

Everyone should be very careful of driving in Mexico and understand the laws and requirement for Mexican insurance.

FOR EVERYONES INFO....

NO US Auto Insurance policies cover in Mexico. You MUST buy a Mexican policy. This can be done from home, at the border, or at the rental agency, but must be done.

This is a report from one of the people from our town that was injured in the crash. Her insurance company doesn't want to pay for her transport back to Florida.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=11567663&Call=Email&Format=HTML

Exactly why I buy travel insurance. I understand this may be a crew member and different but I buy it and suggest it to others.

I believe you are correct. The driving laws in some countries can be very different than the US. In some countries, after a car accident with injuries or deaths, those who need to go to the hospital are taken there, but the rest are arrested and jailed. They sort out the details later. The thinking is : If it is determined that negligence or criminality was involved, at least the parties are already in custody. This happened to a Peruvian friend of mine; she was let out of jail when it became apparent that she was not at fault.

My first thought too was travel insurance but if they were cast members on Disney they were not on the cruise as guests and I don't know if there is a policy they could have gotten to cover their contract time on board the ship. I'm assuming Disney offers no insurance to the crew.

Prayers to all involved and their families

FYI

The cast members involved worked at Walt Disney World and were on the cruise as guests.

• 1 year later...
This thread was dragged out from Dec 2009

so what? there may be new members that do not know the danger of driving in Mexico. This is a good thing to read. I am a longtime member and platinum cruiser.... and even I did not know about this. However, I have cruised enough to know better than to drive in Mexico.

How horrible.

was on an excursion in Cozumel in a line of Jeeps. The driver of the one I was in pulled out into traffic behind the Jeep in front of us and we were nearly killed by an oncoming semi. It slammed on its brakes and stopped less than a foot from the Jeep. No one could believe he did that. t was obvious we were in a convoy and the semi was speeding. Being a local I thought he'd know some stupid tourist might do something like that and should have slowed down. Not a good way to start an outing.

Archived