deposit non refundable??

grams98

Princess is apparently starting an optional non refundable deposit that comes with onboard credit. I was given the option of this or the regular refundable deposit when I booked my upcoming Transatlantic cruise. I was using a FCC to book and my TA seemed to think that Princess would require the full brochure deposit amount if you went with the non refundable option. Since I will be travelling with my mom who is currently undergoing chemotherapy I did not feel comfortable doing this. We were offered an additional $100 OBC for our sailing if we had chosen the non refundable deposit. My TA also said the the insurance carrier that Princess uses will not refund the deposit portion of the fare if you need to cancel.

I was just reading on another thread that the dpeosit wasn't refundable; i thought that until final payment, everything was refundable? does anyone know for sure about this? thanks grams98
Just to clarify, I believe the thread you're referring to was for a deposit for a world cruise segment and the OP cancelled after the 120-day deadline (which is for 30+ day cruises) and while they "meant" to get insurance, they didn't. Deposits on world cruise segments are substantial as you cannot use an FCC for it; you must pay the 20% down. World cruises and segments of world cruises have different deposit policies.

I took advantage of the latest 3-day sale by Princess on my existing booking. The deposit for this particular sale was indeed non-refundable. One of my cabins is the usual deposit price, non-refundable in this case, and the other cabin was deposited with FCC, which are still refundable. The drop in price was substantial enough that, even if I have to cancel one cabin, I think I'm still ahead of the game.:)

Don't go down the non refundable deposit path, which we have in Australia. It definitely turns you off making long term cruising plans, as you have to pay non refundable insurance up front to cover the large deposits as well.

On reflection, when cruise prices are inexpensive, the deposit could be less than the insurance premium. :)

Archived