New Cruiser - dumb question

gtjunk

Hi...I'm completely new to cruising and we're planning our honeymoon on an october celebrity cruise. I just found out that there isn't any self laundry facilities on the Millennium. But instead, they charge a high amount for each item of clothing.

So am I expected to pack for 15 days of shirts, undergarments, etc? (aka 15 pairs of socks, underwears, shirt etc)? What do you suggest? (This includes for the 3 nights of hotels and 12 days of crusing).

I'd appreciate any advise. The biggest boat I've ever been on is probably a rowboat. So this is all new to me. THANKS!

Dry cleaning charges on the SHIP is about the same prices as my dry cleaner in New York charges. Day clothes (t-shirst...) underwear can be washed in the sink and hung on the line in the shower to dry. Some of my outfits I wear twice. Are you doing the Med on the Millennium. You will have a great time. The one difference we found is that in the Caribbean, peole do not get as dressed up on formal nights as they do on the Med run. Any questions feel free to ask and will try to dig up our material fom last summer

I agree with the others...

1) socks and underwear take up little room...

2) You can always wash out a few things in the sink...

3) Sending a few items to dry cleaning is not that bad...the prices may be a touch higher than where you live, assuming you don't live in NYC or LA (For us, they seem normal)...but they're not too bad, you're not cleaning that much and it saves you from spending an evening in a laundromat...

I also tend to wear some things more than once...especially my "evening wardrobe"...The T-shirts I wear in port tend to get sweated into, but I've got a seperate wardrobe for night--because I've got to slip into long pants and a little nicer outfit at night--but, I'm only wearing that stuff for a few hours at night on a very well air conditioned ship...Unless I spill something on it, I bring it back to the cabin and hang it back up...

Also, one thing I've learned is that my wardrobe grows during every cruise...I always end up buying a T-Shirt or two in the ship gift shop to commemorate the cruise...and I tend to buy a wearable souvenir or two in port every cruise...In the Med, my wife bought shoes in Venice, blouses in Dubrovnik, a dress in Corfu...She basically didn't need to bring much from home at all! So, don't even bring as many clothes as you have cruise days...For 15 days, I'd bring 15 dyas worth of socks and underwear and about 8-10 days worth of clothes...wear some twice and buy a couple of things along the way...And, if I run into a problem, send a piece or two to dry cleaning...

The worst thing to do is overpack...I think we've all been on cruises where we packed a whole lot of stuff and brought half of it home unworn...

By the way, the Millie in the Med is a phenomenal cruise...My favorite of all the cruises I've taken...

Have fun...

I managed to get by with two pairs of pants for casual and informal nights, two nice shirts for informal nights, my tuxedo and formal shirt, sports coat, four polo shirts, one tropical shirt, and three T-shirts, three pairs of shorts, two swim suits, and underwear and socks for every day. We were gone for 11 nights--one pre- and one post-cruise and 9 nights on the ship. I got multiple wearings out everything except the underwear and sports coat. (Our cruise ended up with just one informal night.)

I had planned to send out the shirts, pants, and shorts to the laundry if necessary. They never needed it. But if they had, I'm sure I could have gotten a few pieces done for less than $20. Here's the list of prices.

THanks for posting those prices, I don't pay attention to them much, I usually bring 7 or 8 outfits for each 7 day cruise. For me in NY, some of those prices look cheap. I agree with washing underwear and socks. Also, keep in mind that during the day you may be wearing a bathing suit, cover up and sandals. Those can often be worn twice with no problem. Alot of time there is no problem doubling up on evening wear. I doubt I would wear a t-shirt twice, but once in a while if its not too hot there are other things that can be worn twice. When it comes to shorts, slacks, skirts, those can usually be worn twice.

Yes, a cruise definitely means more clothes than, lets say, a Club Med, or even regular touring where you may stay in the same outfit all day, but that's something you get used to. I have gone on 11 cruises with my family of 4. I pack for everyone, and start out a week or more in advance because I work full-time, and usually end up having to stay late in the office the week before the cruise, and somehow, it all works out.

Have a great honeymoon.

Dry cleaning charges on the SHIP is about the same prices as my dry cleaner in New York charges.

If so, you've got one of the cheapest dry cleaners going. I've actually recommended that people not sweat the trip to the dry cleaners before they go and to let the ship take care of it. Work is done well and at much better price than here in Colorado (or back when I was in NY, for that matter) -- especially for ladies' gowns and similar items. Costs me $1.50 less per pair of pants to use the ship's dry cleaning. That said, the laundry is no bargain.

If so, you've got one of the cheapest dry cleaners going. I've actually recommended that people not sweat the trip to the dry cleaners before they go and to let the ship take care of it. Work is done well and at much better price than here in Colorado (or back when I was in NY, for that matter) -- especially for ladies' gowns and similar items. Costs me $1.50 less per pair of pants to use the ship's dry cleaning. That said, the laundry is no bargain.

I have to second this. I used to give my suits to the dry cleaner before the cruise and I had to struggle to get it packed and unpacked without to be totally wrinkeled again. Then I recognized the prices of the laundry/dry cleaning on board and from now on the first thing after having unpacked is give my suits and everything that is in need of to the cabin steward to bring it to the cleaning. They do such a great job and they are so much cheaper than having it done at home. It´s still cheaper to do it a second time during the cruise than giving it away once at home.

A few tips:

Pack some of those old t-shirts that you should have thrown out years ago. Great for hanging around the ship. Toss them after your done with them. Replenish with souvineer ones.

To make room in the garment bag, put clean rolled up dress shirts in the suitcase and have them pressed on board.

Rent a tux (and dress shoes). More space saved.

Wear the pants and jacket you intend on wearing for informal nights on your flight. You might need to have them pressed.

Pressing is half the cost of laundering and Celebrity has always done an excellent job for us.

Just checked the price list and I may bring all my clothes on board to have them cleaned.

For packing information. Pack whatever you want and either:

1. have your husband lug the luggage

2. remove 1/2 of what you packed and this will be just about right.

enjoy your honeymoon

If you plan on spending a lot of time at the pool or beach, or if you plan on snorkel tours, you don't need a daytime outfit per day. On a 7 day Caribbean cruise, I'm good for at least one beach/pool day and one snorkle tour, so I only bring 5 daytime outfits. I can reuse outfits that are still fairly clean or wear something new I've picked up for the time between pool/beach/tour & dinner. I wouldn't hesitate to use a ship's dry cleaning, but I won't use a ship's laundry service again. They are not always as careful as I am about washing/drying at the correct temperature. I've gotten a few things back smaller than they had been (although too many trips to the buffet may have contributed).

Don't pack too much! Evening wear can be a pair of black pants with different tops, one dressy dress. Guys can wear the same suit the whole time. Renting a tux is expensive but it frees up a lot of space in the suitcase, and includes shoes another space hog!

Day wear can be doubled and you don't need socks the days you wear sandals!

Swim suit under shorts means no bra!

I save all my underwear and only throw it out on board ship or vacation leaving room for the required T-shirts etc. Not so romantic but practical! You can wash out on board but socks take a long time to dry

Stick to one or two colors to limit shoes - they take up a lot of room. Hang up wrinkled things in the bathroom the shower steam will straighten them out.

The Med is the best! Have a great time:)

Thank you very much everyone! I feel a little better now that I have some packing tips for this trip on the SHIP (thanks for the correction :) ). This is the biggest trip I've ever had to plan or take so I'm very nervous...but you all gave some great suggestions! Glad to know we chose a good honeymoon cruise! I'm very excited!

Thank you again!

Thank you very much everyone! I feel a little better now that I have some packing tips for this trip on the SHIP (thanks for the correction :) ). This is the biggest trip I've ever had to plan or take so I'm very nervous...but you all gave some great suggestions! Glad to know we chose a good honeymoon cruise! I'm very excited!

Thank you again!

When are you sailing Millenium in October? are you on our sailing? Oct. 13th?

Oct 13 from Barcelona to Venice. I've heard great things about it. We can't WAIT for our honeymoon! :p

Great, we're on the same cruise. Come on over to the roll calls for Celebrity. We have a great group going and can probably answer some of your questions.

Thanks everybody for all the useful information here. We are on the Infinity's

Round the Horn cruise on 13 Feb. This is a rather difficult cruise to pack for involving warm summer weather at the start and end and Alaska-type weather in the middle. We are flying Lufthansa and limited to only 20 Kilos. We are away for three weeks with a week in the Andes after the cruise. I have spent today packing my case then weighing it and then taking half what I had packed out. I think we will turn out to be major customers of the on board laundry and cleaners.

Peter

Great, we're on the same cruise. Come on over to the roll calls for Celebrity. We have a great group going and can probably answer some of your questions.

HI Cruise Junky. Thanks for in invite. I hate to sound stupid, but what's a roll call?

No worries, at the home page of the boards, you can select which area you want to go into, there's on called Roll Calls... under that there's a Celebrity One, Royal Caribbean one, etc. click on the Celebrity one and our thread is called something like Millennium...Oct 13/05. You might have to scroll a page.

For those of us that try to rinse out socks, t-shirts, and underwear, look for items made from Cool-Max or the like. This is wicking type polyester that dries super fast. It also tends to be very light weight which is another packing plus.

Art

gtjunk,be careful when you pack for B-B cruises. I don't think anyone has said anything about putting to much weight in your luggage. If you are flying, they will charge you big bucks for being over weight. They got us for about $30.00 for one piece of luggage. What I do is wear one pair of underwear and then turn it inside out and wear it again. lol Just kidding! Hank

Archived