Your experience with the Platinum Lounge

crischickie

I just read that Princess offers a Platinum Lounge to past cruisers. When I checked their web site it appears that it just for disembarkation morning, but, the impression I had from what I read was that it might be similar to the Concierge Lounge on Royal Caribbean or Micheal's Lounge on Celebrity.

Has anyone experienced the Platinum Lounge on Princess?

I just read that Princess offers a Platinum Lounge to past cruisers. When I checked their web site it appears that it just for disembarkation morning, but, the impression I had from what I read was that it might be similar to the Concierge Lounge on Royal Caribbean or Micheal's Lounge on Celebrity.

Has anyone experienced the Platinum Lounge on Princess?

We have had bad luck as it always seems crowded and they don't seem to do a good job checking at the door.

We don't use it anymore.

We just head to the DR for a nice stress free breakfast before getting off.

We have had bad luck as it always seems crowded and they don't seem to do a good job checking at the door.

We don't use it anymore.

We just head to the DR for a nice stress free breakfast before getting off.

That's so true. Unless you wear/display your cruisecard, nobody would know what membership level you were. I wonder where the elite members sit and wait on disembarkation day? (I guess I'll find out one of these days).

We've used it a couple of times on disembarkation morning. From what we have seen, it varies as to how crowded it can be. Some cruises it was very crowded, but held in one of the larger lounges/theaters onboard so there was actually plenty of space, other cruises, we were one of only a few passengers there. It all depends on how many Platinum and Elite are actually on your cruise.

That's so true. Unless you wear/display your cruisecard, nobody would know what membership level you were. I wonder where the elite members sit and wait on disembarkation day? (I guess I'll find out one of these days).

The disembarkation lounge is for Platinum and Elite members. We usually end up there after breakfast and it's nice to hang out with some munchies before we disembark.

The OP was also inquiring about the Platinum lounge (usually in Skywalkers?) where they have discounted drinks and hors d'oeuvres. They didn't have one on my last voyage, so maybe someone else can comment?

There are three lounges that may be what OP is talking about.

First, there is a lounge for those with priority boarding at the embarkation port. This is used by those who arrive before the ship is ready and are platinum or elite in the Captain's Circle or have booked a suite.

Second, every evening there is a lounge for the same groups in the above. There is a drink of the day and free appetizers.

Think, is the debarkation lounge for the same groups. It is on one of the public lounges on the ship.

Paul's response is what we have found on most of the last voyages. The "D" day area is usually in one of the larger lounges and we like to use it because of the coffee and sweet rolls if we are getting off early.

We use the Platinum lounge for disembarkation and as has been said, it's usually packed full. Even if one person is Platinum or Elite, people bring their entire party which makes it very crowded and not very special. On our Crown cruise last July, the Captain's Circle rep was at the door and checking everyone's cruise card for entry. We were a group of 8 people traveling together to the airport, six of whom were Platinum or Elite so they let the other two in. I would never have done it otherwise.

It's not very special any more as too many get away with using just one person as the "entry" into the lounge for 4, 6 or 8 others.

The disembarkation lounge is for Platinum and Elite members. We usually end up there after breakfast and it's nice to hang out with some munchies before we disembark.

The OP was also inquiring about the Platinum lounge (usually in Skywalkers?) where they have discounted drinks and hors d'oeuvres. They didn't have one on my last voyage, so maybe someone else can comment?

We just sailed on the Golden a couple of weeks ago, and they did offer the lounge every evening. But the scheduled hours were a little inconvenient for our plans, and I'm sorry to say that during the 2 weeks we were never able to get there to experience it.

This is what I was wondering about. On Royal Caribbean and now on Celebrity they offer free drinks and hors d'œuvres for several hours each evening for their elite (Diamond Plus and Elite). What I read left me with the impression that Princess had the same type thing. I haven't been on Princess for a couple of years but will be sailing in December and I was wondering what to expect with the Platinum Lounge.

This is what I was wondering about. On Royal Caribbean and now on Celebrity they offer free drinks and hors d'œuvres for several hours each evening for their elite (Diamond Plus and Elite). What I read left me with the impression that Princess had the same type thing. I haven't been on Princess for a couple of years but will be sailing in December and I was wondering what to expect with the Platinum Lounge.

No free drinks. One discounted cocktail at $5.00. Other drinks at regular prices. And a good selection of hors d'œuvres.

On the Crown in September, it was held part of Skywalkers Lounge from 5 PM- 7 PM on most evenings. There was a schedule card in the cabin the first day and on each day it was held, there was an invitation in the mail slot that morning.

Tho it has been a while since we have cruised on Princess (2008), I recall the Platinum Lounge not to be all that crowded on our ship (Sapphire). It had plenty of goodies to eat and drink.

:)

Could you be confusing Princess with another cruise line? As the evening Platinum Lounge just began this past year, they did not offer it on any ship until the end of January 2009 (if memory serves me correctly). :o

Could you be confusing Princess with another cruise line? As the evening Platinum Lounge just began this past year, they did not offer it on any ship until the end of January 2009 (if memory serves me correctly). :o

I was referring to the disembarkation lounge for Platinum members.

Thought it was an Elite thing in the evenings during the cruise?

Our last Princess cruise was Sept 07 so this will be a new experience for us with Princess. We took some time off to become Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus and really like the amenities they offer.

It seems like all the cruise lines are adding some type of amenities to the frequent cruisers programs. It is really nice to feel appreciated.

Thought it was an Elite thing in the evenings during the cruise?

Yes, sorry, my post was a bit confusing. The evening lounge began for Elites and full suites, and has just recently included platinum members. I claim holiday brain freeze, from too much turkey. lol

OK, news to me on the expansion to Platinum as well. ;)

We went to Skywalkers for the platinum/elite group on the Emerald last month. Very ordinary. So we didn't return on the Emerald and didn't even try it on the Crown this past week. We had good success disembarking from the equivalent lounge on the QM2 and based on a bad expeience on the Crown yesterday when we didn't use the elite lounge, we'll give it a try on our next trip. But that will be on the Pacific next month, and somehow I don't think disembarking will be a problem on that ship

We just sailed on the Golden a couple of weeks ago, and they did offer the lounge every evening. But the scheduled hours were a little inconvenient for our plans, and I'm sorry to say that during the 2 weeks we were never able to get there to experience it.

On the Crown in September, it was held part of Skywalkers Lounge from 5 PM- 7 PM on most evenings. There was a schedule card in the cabin the first day and on each day it was held, there was an invitation in the mail slot that morning.
I agree. The 5-7pm hours are very inconvenient, particularly if you have late seating. It's really designed for those with early Traditional or with Anytime and planning to eat early. I'm not about to start drinking at 6:30 or even 7pm for an 8:15 or 8:30 dinner. Not everyone has more than one drink before dinner. Usually, I go up and grab a snack before going back to my cabin to shower and change for dinner.

On our last two Princess cruises, from 5pm to 7pm, there was a small area in Skywalker set aside for Elites and Suites (don't about Platinum). They had a lot of hors d'oeuvers and offered $1 off the usually undesirable drink of the day. There were not many people there and we only went once. Most of the Elites at the CC M&G agreed that it was a worthless perk. It is not close to being comparable to the Celebrity and RCL party with free drinks for Elites. In both of the cruise questionaires I suggested that Princess should at least have "happy hour" with 2 for 1 drinks.

However, I like the departure lounge before leaving the ship. It is generally very crowded, but juice and a roll is easy for early flights.

Does Princess have a "Meet & Mingle" party like Royal Caribbean. I have learned a lot from the forum .....we haven't been on Princess since '04....have 41 cruises with RC.

No. The most princess will do if contacted ahead of time is supply a lounge/room for your meeting. They usually supply a bartender, but that is about it.

Archived