Finally "bit the bullet" and went GTY - anyone else?

ekerr19

We did a GTY a few years back and got pretty lucky, but haven't really wanted to risk it since.

However, after reading about so many upgrades and upsells available to those booking "guarantee" we decided to go for it on an upcoming cruise we booked onboard the Westerdam last week.

From all I've read, it seems those booking under guarantee seem to get offered the upsells and upgrades - even to the PS.

Opinions?

We did a GTY a few years back and got pretty lucky, but haven't really wanted to risk it since.

However, after reading about so many upgrades and upsells available to those booking "guarantee" we decided to go for it on an upcoming cruise we booked onboard the Westerdam last week.

From all I've read, it seems those booking under guarantee seem to get offered the upsells and upgrades - even to the PS.

Opinions?

On the Amsterdam in 2007, Rome to Fort Lauderdale, I booked a EE guarantee and received a DA in an excellent location. I was happy!:D

Good luck with your first guarantee room...

We have done both and think that if the price is right for a guarantee, go for it... It is a gamble though, and it is likely you will end up with the minimum you booked.

Anything on top of that is a bonus...

:D:D:D

Most everyone on our Nov. 1 Noordam roll call who booked a guarantee got an upgrade except for me. Well, I went from a K to a J, to be honest. That said, I ended up with the tiniest inside cabin. Although I usually book guarantees, if I sail on a Vista class again and want to book an inside cabin, I'll choose the cabin. Don't know if I can do one of those "closets" again.

My upgrades have never involved the PS!

Roz

We are among those who always booked a suite. We decided to risk an SZ guarantee on the Zuiderdam last month. At 7 or 8 weeks out, we were offered an upsell to SA for $999 each. It may sound pricey - but compared to booking the SA to begin with, we saved a considerable sum. We're not risking it for our upcoming cruise, but will definitely try that again soon.

We did SC guarantee - I am seriously debating on changing it to SZ -

Donna, you are right it would be a tremendous savings!

Roz - I have only read here (on this site) of people getting offered the PS as an upsell. Everyone else I've talked to (TA's, onboard staff, etc.) say it is very rare.

We have always had extremely good luck with upgrades on a guarantee booking. Almost all of our bookings have been guarantees.

I'm getting more and more convinced it's the way to go. :)

I always liked having the "perks" of the S/SA, but seriously, the perks I like most, I get with my Mariner status, so there seems to be little point in spending the extra $$$ for S/SA.

I don't get anything additional from HAL by booking that category, except the Neptune Lounge, which isn't really a deal breaker for me - especially after the last cruise when requests seemed to be more "sorry, we can't" rather than "of course we can".

After our conversation about this, ekerr, I seriously considered booking a "SC" guarantee for our next Vista/Signature cruise and know we really would be unhappy far aft in that category cabin. I sure would like the savings and the chance for a low cost upsell but I listened to the advice I've written here so many times.

I always have maintained cruisers should book the lowest category in which they know they can be happy and then they won't be disappointed no matter the assignment. We sailed once far aft (on another cruise line) and really did not like it. In fact, DH was very unhappy with that location so in the end, I know that we'll book the category we know we enjoy and will cough up the money. I'd happily book a "SB" guarantee and take a chance on that as we could be happy in that category but I don't think there is such a thing. I think it has to be "SC" guarantee and I am so sure that is exactly where we'd end up.

I think the chances are excellent you will be upgraded or offered a low cost upsell and I hope that happens. Good luck.

Of course, for the Maasdam, if one wants a Deluxe Veranda it is best to book it as very, very often those cabins sell out on that ship. There are some upgrades but not that many I don't think.

We did SC guarantee - I am seriously debating on changing it to SZ -
Are you sure the SZ Guar is available? For the past year or so they've been keeping the bottom slots of each class (SZ, VH, HH, N/NN) closed until after final payment date. I think you'd have to go for a SY Guar.

Are you sure the SZ Guar is available? For the past year or so they've been keeping the bottom slots of each class (SZ, VH, HH, N/NN) closed until after final payment date. I think you'd have to go for a SY Guar.

Sorry, you're right - SY. :o

After our conversation about this, ekerr, I seriously considered booking a "SC" guarantee for our next Vista/Signature cruise and know we really would be unhappy far aft in that category cabin. I sure would like the savings and the chance for a low cost upsell but I listened to the advice I've written here so many times.

I always have maintained cruisers should book the lowest category in which they know they can be happy and then they won't be disappointed no matter the assignment. We sailed once far aft (on another cruise line) and really did not like it. In fact, DH was very unhappy with that location so in the end, I know that we'll book the category we know we enjoy and will cough up the money. I'd happily book a "SB" guarantee and take a chance on that as we could be happy in that category but I don't think there is such a thing. I think it has to be "SC" guarantee and I am so sure that is exactly where we'd end up.

I think the chances are excellent you will be upgraded or offered a low cost upsell and I hope that happens. Good luck.

Of course, for the Maasdam, if one wants a Deluxe Veranda it is best to book it as very, very often those cabins sell out on that ship. There are some upgrades but not that many I don't think.

Sail,

We are keeping our S on Maasdam. The only time I would consider it is on Vista and that is what were doing, so I think that is the March 2011 cruise? I can't keep them straight, lol!!

I am half tempted to book an off season cruise on a Vista and book verandah GTY and see what happens - just as an experiment!

I understand what you are saying about the SC - and you're right - you'd probably end up there, lol!! I'd be okay with it, but totally understand how you feel. ;)

... I always have maintained cruisers should book the lowest category in which they know they can be happy and then they won't be disappointed no matter the assignment...

You are absolutely right, Sail - we thought long and hard before we decided to book that SZ guarantee. We'd made up our minds we'd be perfectly happy with an SZ or SY, but when the upsell came along - we jumped on it.

As for the Maasdam ... since there is nothing between S and VA, we'll not be doing guarantees there. The Vista Class ships have a lot of room to move people around ... R and S class, not so much.

Laura,

I admit it's tempting. :D

Also, We enjoy Neptune Lounge a lot and trotting from "SC" to the Neptune in the morning for coffee just wouldn't work well for us. :o

Donna........ Yes, you're right. The "S" and "R" class ships have so many fewer veranda cabins and certainly many fewer deluxe veranda.

Just checked my email from TA and SZ is available for our sailing... maybe because it's so far out. It's a great deal. :)

Laura,

I admit it's tempting. :D

Also, We enjoy Neptune Lounge a lot and trotting from "SC" to the Neptune in the morning for coffee just wouldn't work well for us. :o

Donna........ Yes, you're right. The "S" and "R" class ships have so many fewer veranda cabins and certainly many fewer deluxe veranda.

I'd only consider it on Vista. :) Not really willing to take a chance on R or S - unless the price was fabulous.

I did a guarantee for the first time for my January cruise from Tampa on the Veendam (pre-Upgrades). I was pleasantly surprised that my FF guarantee got me a BA cabin. I also found it interesting that my upgrade was given with no further upsell, though my parents (with the same FF guarantee) were asked to pay for an upgrade. At the pier, my parents were assigned a BA as well, with no additional charge.

Both my parents and I have booked an FF guarantee cabin on my cruise in May, but do not expect such a category jump again. So we shall see what I end up with on the Maasdam then.

On my ventures to Vista and Signature class ships, I have selected specific cabins and will continue to do so. I loved the cabin I had on the Eurodam, and even though it was a standard outside ocean view cabin, I have no desire to move from it on future cruises. My dad really enjoyed the balcony on the BA upgrade and we may not be able to get him back to a regular cabin again.

My dad really enjoyed the balcony on the BA upgrade and we may not be able to get him back to a regular cabin again.

Ah, that is the problem, isn't it? We have such a hard time going back. :)

You got some very nice upgrades - I'm glad you enjoyed them. :) Especially your Dad.

Laura, I totally agree only on the Vista and Signature Class. I have done this my last 5 or 6 sailings that I booked several months in advance. I would book a SY Guarantee or even a Verandah Guarantee:D and had been offered upgrade offers. The best was when I booked very last minute this past May to sail on the Westerdam to Alaska, we had only been home a few days from our Statendam cruise and we booked an HH Guarantee just wanted to get on the ship for very little money we moved up to a Port side SA cabin right across the hall from the Neptune.

But with that being said on being a Vista or Signature class only, that Statendam cruise we also booked a HH Gurantee and was offered a good price to move up to a Verandah and ended up with an A category on the Navigation Deck ;)

Obviously there is never a guarantee, you do not know how well the cruise is going to sell out or in what categories but recent history of bookings tell us that the S Suites are not selling as well as the Verandahs and Superior Verandahs do, it is likely with your Mariner status you will receive an offer. But having stayed in a SY cabin I will say that it really is every bit as nice as a SA with the exception of having the dressing area and use of the Neptune. To me size wise it reminds me of the corner afts. I think for the money these cabins are great and put many other cruise lines Mini Suites to shame. So if you are thinking of moving to the SY/SZ guarantee I say "Go For It" ;)

Laura, I totally agree only on the Vista and Signature Class. I have done this my last 5 or 6 sailings that I booked several months in advance. I would book a SY Guarantee or even a Verandah Guarantee:D and had been offered upgrade offers. The best was when I booked very last minute this past May to sail on the Westerdam to Alaska, we had only been home a few days from our Statendam cruise and we booked an HH Guarantee just wanted to get on the ship for very little money we moved up to a Port side SA cabin right across the hall from the Neptune.

But with that being said on being a Vista or Signature class only, that Statendam cruise we also booked a HH Gurantee and was offered a good price to move up to a Verandah and ended up with an A category on the Navigation Deck ;)

Obviously there is never a guarantee, you do not know how well the cruise is going to sell out or in what categories but recent history of bookings tell us that the S Suites are not selling as well as the Verandahs and Superior Verandahs do, it is likely with your Mariner status you will receive an offer. But having stayed in a SY cabin I will say that it really is every bit as nice as a SA with the exception of having the dressing area and use of the Neptune. To me size wise it reminds me of the corner afts. I think for the money these cabins are great and put many other cruise lines Mini Suites to shame. So if you are thinking of moving to the SY/SZ guarantee I say "Go For It" ;)

Lisa - we have talked about you so often since our first cruise on the Oosterdam for my 50th BD, Dec., 2007. You instilled such confidence in us and we are hooked now. Just wanted to say a big thank you!

Carol and Ed

Archived