Cruise nightmare! Need help!

bobo29

And I agree(d) that RCI's error was correctable. I also think they did a great job correcting it for bobo29. In case I wasn't clear, I think bobo29's reaction and expectations were quite out of line...Please, a free cruise? I think not, especially not when RCI has made a very generous offer to make up for their error and made things much better all around, IMO.

I still maintain that it was a mutually beneficial arrangement and that RCI wasn't being charitable. They are a business; they had cabins left to fill last minute; Dawn passengers needed cabins last minute; win-win for everyone.

I agree(d) that $800 (and don't forget the upgrade to balcony cabins on a brand new ship!) was very generous to make up for RCI's overbooking error. But I disagree that it should be related in any way to NCL's problem, as in "bobo29 should be happy that RCI was willing to sell them cabins at all." After all, bobo29 or anyone else could have booked last minute with no NCL cruise problem in the interim and without RCI's "help." If I had booked that RCI cruise 2 weeks ago and RCI did the same thing to me due to overbooking, I would expect a similar offer of accomodating us on another ship; upgraded cabins would be nice, but not necessary; and an OBC for the loss of a cruise day and the inconvenience. That's exactly the kind of thing that RCI has done for passengers in similar situations, regardless of whether another cruise line had last minute problems.

beachchick

I think the OP was so stressed out-that perhaps he was not thinking clearly expecting RCI to give him a free crusie. I would be stressed out also if I spent 15 hours on the phone-but still it was not RCI he had booked originally, it was not their ship that lost power and caused a cruise to be canceled, they only goofed when they tried to accommodate so many PAX from the Dawn, as I said I am sure they profited by filling empty cabins, but it is not fair for the OP to think they are responsible for his 15 hours of phone calls, scrambling to find a cruise for his family last minute to replace the one that was canceled.

I do think he was treated fairly. I do understand his not wanting to share a stateroom with family members other than his wife as he wanted private time with her. I also understand his wanting a 5 day cruise not a four day, even if the other ship was not as nice. So I don't blame him for negotiating onboard credit. But $800 is fair- that is $100 per person, and my guess is that is about what he paid per night for the Dawn cruise-so in essence, he got the fifth night refunded AND got a balcony instead of an ocean view on a beter ship-he should be happy.

So you see, we actually agree. I also feel some had been unfair to the OP originally, BUT I also feel that he sort've proved them right in a way, after he said he should get a free cruise.

Holy cow! :eek: Where can I get that kind of bad luck and abuse by a cruise line???? :eek:

WOW! I don't know if I am in more shock that the OP is complaining about going from the NCL Dawn to the RCCL Oasis - on the inaugural sailing, on a balcony no less. :eek::eek::eek:

Or that Royal Caribbean allowed it.

Hey Royal, feel free to abuse me like that ANY TIME!

This is like ordering a steak for dinner and having the waiter serve you a pork chop - but be happy because you got something to eat IT IS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE!

Noooo, your situation is like ordering tuna noodle casserole and getting a Fillet Mignon with a side of lobster!

Some people just can't see a good deal when it smacks them upside the head and sits down on their lap. :eek:

Noooo, your situation is like ordering tuna noodle casserole and getting a Fillet Mignon with a side of lobster!

Some people just can't see a good deal when it smacks them upside the head and sits down on their lap. :eek:

I so agree with that statement. Even though I would not book a cruise on the Oasis, I would be happy that if my cruise was cancelled that I would still be able to cruise on a brand new ship with a balcony.

I don't see why people think RCI were doing the OP a massive favour by taking his booking on Navigator. As far as I can see RCI did not take the booking over from NCL. NCL cancelled and then the OP booked another cruise departing at the same time with RCI. RCI supposedly had the available cabins on Navigator and sold them to the OP - its business plain and simple. As far as I can see the booking with RCI is a totally seperate issue to the booking with NCL.

I can totally understand the OP being fed up. To have one cruise cancelled is bad enough but then to have hassle with the second one two would really wind you up!!!!!!

Glad that the OP managed to sort it out in the end and I hope they all have a great time

Sue

I don't see why people think RCI were doing the OP a massive favour by taking his booking on Navigator.

Sue

OK, taking NCL Dawn out of this. RCI took a cheaper Navigator cruise and handed the Inaugural Oasis on a silver platter. You don't see that as a HUGE WIN for the OP?

I would have given a kidney to be on Oasis Inaug (and had considered it).

I don't see why people think RCI were doing the OP a massive favour by taking his booking on Navigator. As far as I can see RCI did not take the booking over from NCL. NCL cancelled and then the OP booked another cruise departing at the same time with RCI. RCI supposedly had the available cabins on Navigator and sold them to the OP - its business plain and simple. As far as I can see the booking with RCI is a totally seperate issue to the booking with NCL.

I can totally understand the OP being fed up. To have one cruise cancelled is bad enough but then to have hassle with the second one two would really wind you up!!!!!!

Glad that the OP managed to sort it out in the end and I hope they all have a great time

Sue

I suppose the op could have taken his refund from NCL and just went home.

Holy cow! :eek: Where can I get that kind of bad luck and abuse by a cruise line???? :eek:

WOW! I don't know if I am in more shock that the OP is complaining about going from the NCL Dawn to the RCCL Oasis - on the inaugural sailing, on a balcony no less. :eek::eek::eek:

Or that Royal Caribbean allowed it.

Hey Royal, feel free to abuse me like that ANY TIME!

Why wouldn't RCI allow bobo29 to book a cruise? RCI did not take over the NCL bookings; RCI did not book them whatever rate they paid on NCL. What happened was that the NCL cruise was cancelled. Some passengers likely cancelled their trip entirely (not what we'd do, but some might). Some passengers might have switched to a land trip or switched their cruise date. Some passengers decided to see what cruise lines/ships were available at the same time from the same or near port. Those passengers had a cancelled NCL cruise and rebooked an entirely separate and unrelated cruise with RCI because RCI had cabins left last minute on ships/itineraries/dates that suited those passengers. It matters not at all that bobo29 had been booked on NCL Dawn.

OK, taking NCL Dawn out of this. RCI took a cheaper Navigator cruise and handed the Inaugural Oasis on a silver platter. You don't see that as a HUGE WIN for the OP?

I think that it is exactly right. Taking NCL out of the equation: RCI overbooked Navigator and originally had simply moved moved eight passengers who paid for four cabins into two cabins (not two bedroom suites or anything, but family oceanviews with one bathroom each and a small "curtained" area with bunks intended for "the kids"). This was understandably unacceptable to bobo29 and family; we would not be okay with it, not a chance. So RCI decided to do the right thing and make it right by offering a cruise on a brand new, more expensive ship, in upgraded cabins and with a generous OBC to make up for the cruise being shorter by one day and for the inconvenience. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect RCI to do for passengers in a similar situation: RCI goofed; RCI made it right and made it better, IMO.

I suppose the op could have taken his refund from NCL and just went home.

That was a point I made earlier: NCL's refund and future cruise discount is not part of the RCI equation because all passengers from the cancelled cruise got the exact same thing regardless of whether they cancelled their trip, stayed with NCL on a different cruise date, or scouted around for last minute availability on other cruise lines/ships.

beachchick

No - not really - I have no desire to sail on her. But thats just me - it's down to personal choice. I would want the cruise I had booked and paid for. As the OP was really not happy about this -surely RCI could offer the deal to others who were on Navigator and see if anyone else would like the deal. It's seems to me from the response on this thread that most would have jumped at the chance. Therefore they would have had a win win situation with all parties happy.

Sue

Why wouldn't RCI allow bobo29 to book a cruise? beachchick

When I meant "allow" - I meant that I was shocked that Royal allowed a booking to be transferred from Navigator to Oasis with no additional charge and all of the OBC attached.

We don't usually see Royal being THAT generous. They could have said "Yep, we messed up. We overbooked. Take the two cabins on Nav and this gift of OBC or you can cancel the reservations and not cruise this week"

No - not really - I have no desire to sail on her. But thats just me - it's down to personal choice. I would want the cruise I had booked and paid for. As the OP was really not happy about this -surely RCI could offer the deal to others who were on Navigator and see if anyone else would like the deal. It's seems to me from the response on this thread that most would have jumped at the chance. Therefore they would have had a win win situation with all parties happy.

Sue

This all had to happen in what, 1-2 days? You think Royal Caribbean should have called others on the Nav and asked them to transfer to Oasis? The OP won the cruise lottory. And they still weren't satisfied. The price they paid is actually a slap in the face to everyone else onboard Oasis who paid the full price. Maybe they should have gone back to everyone on Oasis and offered them a free cruise on Navigator.

If you gave some people a one kilo gold bar they would complain it was too heavy to carry back home. :D

Sometimes ire and the desire for retribution clouds one's perception and ability to see that they have been blessed with a good deal.

When I meant "allow" - I meant that I was shocked that Royal allowed a booking to be transferred from Navigator to Oasis with no additional charge and all of the OBC attached.

We don't usually see Royal being THAT generous. They could have said "Yep, we messed up. We overbooked. Take the two cabins on Nav and this gift of OBC or you can cancel the reservations and not cruise this week"

This all had to happen in what, 1-2 days? You think Royal Caribbean should have called others on the Nav and asked them to transfer to Oasis? The OP won the cruise lottory. And they still weren't satisfied. The price they paid is actually a slap in the face to everyone else onboard Oasis who paid the full price. Maybe they should have gone back to everyone on Oasis and offered them a free cruise on Navigator.

How long does a phonecall take - if you reckon they had won the cruise lottery i'm sure they would only have had to make one phone call and someone would have jumped at the offer. Therefore saving themselves 15 hours worth of aggro with the OP!!!!!! Going on Oasis sounds like the booby prize to me!!! lol

Sue

Sue

It would not be my first choice to sail on the Oasis, however, it was still a good alternative to not cruising and going home.

you had a contract with the cruise line, they blew the contract, greatful nothing, they owe you 100% $, no matter what they gave you as a bribe to go away, lawyers are your friends, even without insurance, imho

you had a contract with the cruise line, they blew the contract, greatful nothing, they owe you 100% $, no matter what they gave you as a bribe to go away, lawyers are your friends, even without insurance, imho

You must be a lawyer.

<snip>

Oh, got it now. I guess they allowed it because it was their own offer to bobo29? I took it to be that RCI made the offer to move bobo29's traveling group from two cabins on Navigator to four upgraded cabins on Oasis because RCI's other option was to simply allow bobo29 to cancel with no penalty, as you mention. RCI obviously couldn't call around and ask other Navigator passengers if they'd like a free cruise on Oasis and some OBC to go with it...which we'd jump at even though we have no interest in going on Oasis. Neither could they call around and ask other Navigator multi-cabin passengers if they'd mind cramming everyone into fewer cabins than they paid for. RCI could certainly have not ultimately made such a generous offer and could have told bobo29 "too bad." OTOH, they shouldn't have arbitrarily moved eight passengers from the four cabins they paid for into two cabins.

I find myself wondering, somewhat pruriently, if they worked out a deal with mom, something like a tie on the door signal. I guess an adaptation of the old bumper sticker "if this cabin's rocking, don't bothering knocking" wouldn't have worked.

Not the point, IMO, and not a chance that would work in our family. It's not a matter of just the "intimate" moments. It's a matter of overall privacy and space. Plus there's the fact that if I book and pay for four cabins, then I expect that is what I shall have.

beachchick

Oh, got it now. I guess they allowed it because it was their own offer to bobo29? I took it to be that RCI made the offer to move bobo29's traveling group from two cabins on Navigator to four upgraded cabins on Oasis because RCI's other option was to simply allow bobo29 to cancel with no penalty, as you mention. RCI obviously couldn't call around and ask other Navigator passengers if they'd like a free cruise on Oasis and some OBC to go with it...which we'd jump at even though we have no interest in going on Oasis. Neither could they call around and ask other Navigator multi-cabin passengers if they'd mind cramming everyone into fewer cabins than they paid for. RCI could certainly have not ultimately made such a generous offer and could have told bobo29 "too bad." OTOH, they shouldn't have arbitrarily moved eight passengers from the four cabins they paid for into two cabins.

Not the point, IMO, and not a chance that would work in our family. It's not a matter of just the "intimate" moments. It's a matter of overall privacy and space. Plus there's the fact that if I book and pay for four cabins, then I expect that is what I shall have.

beachchick

LOL! Beachchick-it seems you and I are the only ones who are reasonable here-the OP feels he should have got a free cruise, and others feel he should have been satisfied for 8 people to be crammed in 2 cabins, or else be ready to bow down in worship to RCI that he was given a 4 day cruise instead of a 5 day, since he was put on the Oasis maiden voyage.

They seem to forget he had no interest in cruising the Oasis. Or that the first voyage on a ship with 6000 PAX,the biggest yet, may have some major kinks to work out.

My last post on this thread! I am bored with this.

The OP tried to make a reservation on Navigator the day before sailing. It's not like he HAD a reservation! They said, no we're full - would you like 2 FOV's? He didn't want those, so they offered him 4 balconies on the Oasis for $199 pp. I don't see where RCI had made a huge blunder.

I really wish RCI had called me and offered me this terrible deal. I had been watching this sailing for weeks. :mad:

The OP tried to make a reservation on Navigator the day before sailing. It's not like he HAD a reservation! They said, no we're full - would you like 2 FOV's? He didn't want those, so they offered him 4 balconies on the Oasis for $199 pp. I don't see where RCI had made a huge blunder.

I really wish RCI had called me and offered me this terrible deal. I had been watching this sailing for weeks. :mad:

If you read the OP first post he did actually make a booking for 4 cabins. After he made this booking he then found out that they had overbooked and his booking had changed to 2 cabins instead of 4!!!!!!! Nowhere does it say that he tried to book 4 cabins but they were full and offered him 2 family cabins instead. If they couldn't accomodate him then they shouldn't have taken the booking.

Sue

Sue

From the OP

Long story short, I had four cabins on the the NCL Dawn which was supposed to leave yesterday. The cruise was cancelled and we were lucky enough to rebook on RCCL Navigator of the Seas, leaving today. Lucky we thought, last night we found out that RCCL placed our four cabins into two because they accidentally overbooked.

Based on the OP's statement, if he indeed had a booking, it was only for a very short time, maximum a few hours. I'm sure many other NCL pax, who were informed of the cancellation of their cruise around noon on Nov. 29, were scrambling to book the Navigator, which was leaving on Nov. 30. OP states that he found out they had 2 FOV's on Navigator the night of Nov. 29 which would have been less than 12 hours after their NCL cruise was cancelled. Did he or his TA call up RCI and ask them to book 8 people in oceanview staterooms or did they ask for 4 oceanviews? I don't know and the OP was kind of vague. In any case, RCI did inform him of what he had promptly, and it was not OK with the OP. He had the option to not go. No one forced him. Like going shopping on Black Friday, if everyone is trying to get the same item, don't count on it being yours until you've got it in hand and paid for.

What really annoys me is that RCI offered him balconies on Oasis at a giveaway price. There are many, including me, who would have booked at that price, but were not offered it. And he complains.

LOL! Beachchick-it seems you and I are the only ones who are reasonable here-the OP feels he should have got a free cruise, and others feel he should have been satisfied for 8 people to be crammed in 2 cabins, or else be ready to bow down in worship to RCI that he was given a 4 day cruise instead of a 5 day, since he was put on the Oasis maiden voyage.

They seem to forget he had no interest in cruising the Oasis. Or that the first voyage on a ship with 6000 PAX,the biggest yet, may have some major kinks to work out.

My last post on this thread! I am bored with this.

I think you're right!:p There really does seem to be a middle ground argument here, but maybe we're the only ones really seeing it. A few other members have mentioned the fact that switching to Oasis from Navigator could be a huge deal. I have to admit that the only way we'd cruise on Oasis would be if we won the cruise or something (and it would have to be a balcony cabin or better). That's a good point that maiden voyages in general have kinks to be worked out and that on Oasis those issues are likely to be magnified. I do hope bobo29 and family have a good time. They deserve it...they just don't deserve a free cruise, IMO.

beachchick

Archived