Navigator of the Seas was AWFUL

bradleyd

Yes, I remember when you became an agent and you were so excited. And, just for the record I am an agent to, albeit a part time one as there isn't enough money to be made so I have to work at a full time job.

However, once you became an agent you should have refrained from passing judgement on any cruiselines. We all have our favourites but as a TA I do not post my opinion on any ship on any line as much I would like to at times.

It's only fair to those who cruise for TA's not to show the lean too much towards a particular cruiseline.

You are a strong advocate for RCI but in the process you have flamed other lines such as Carnival and that isn't right for someone in your position.

Why not? I ask for my travel agent's advice frequently with regard to cruises, hotels, etc. If she has a preference for one and a bias against another, I want to know about it. I want her to tell me why she loves one and dislikes another. She has many customers, and she bases her opinions on both her own and her clients' experiences. I may decide to disregard her advice, but her experience with these entities is vastly superior to my own. I really don't want her to withhold her true opinions, I want to know what she really thinks about a given cruise line, hotel, destination.

I never once felt nickel and dimed. I didn't really notice the cutbacks either. I never ate the chocolates, the coupon book was eh! But I found a few to use and it was no big deal not getting a gift. I felt bad that the assistant waiter had to run and get my drink since he had a very large demanding table next to ours, so I stopped at the Schooner Bar on the way and grabbed one to bring in with me. None of these things affected my overall feelings of the cruise or cruise line.

I think that you DID notice the cutbacks if you had to get your own drink before dinner. That's a result of RCI pulling the bar waiters out of the dining room. The more they pile on the waitstaff the more passengers will have to do for themselves.

And it's gone high tech - Oasis (we got off a 2-nighter yesterday) has wine dispensing machines outside the entrance to the MDR on decks 4 & 4 - you insert your Seapass, punch a button and your chosen wine comes out of the spigot. The selection was interesting, and they're in a fancy nitrogen preservative system, but the real effect is to force people into self-service wine drinking so they don't have to have a live person doing it. I assume that you could still order a bottle or a glass once inside, but what do you do if the wine has turned? It's all automated & there's nobody to complain to except for whoever is changing out the bottles.

There is no doubt that RCI (and perhaps other cruise lines as well) has very much declined in product offered in the past several years. Having cruised 15 years (not a long time compared to many on this site), we have definately experienced the decline. :( And will be giving other cruise lines a try in the future. We will sale on Freedom in Jan as we had $2400 off a cruise from RCI VISA card that we did not want to lose but that will be it for a while.

That being said, I think the problem is exaggerated on the shorter cruises. You tend to get a younger, more active crowd that is not always as careful of someone else's property (dare I say the "all about me" generation"? :eek::D) And the ships seem to take more of a beating with the frequent turnover of cruisers. We saw a real difference in the apprearance of Navigator just 8 months after she went to 4 and 5 night cruises. It was like night and day. Such a shame - we had always found her to be a lovely ship prior to the changes. :(

I'm sure that's part of the problem - we noticed that the crew on Radiance was exhausted from the 4/5 night itineraries that she was on - they were really looking forward to going back to longer itineraries.

And I think a lot of the best crew are on Oasis now - RCI has made a huge bet on the ship, and the service had better live up to expectations. They could send our cabin steward back to his old ship, though...

However, once you became an agent you should have refrained from passing judgement on any cruiselines. We all have our favourites but as a TA I do not post my opinion on any ship on any line as much I would like to at times.

I disagree with you (I'm also a TA, just part time, which is why I have time for CC). One of the things that our clients rely on is our judgment. But I do think it's important to be fair and acknowledge that tastes and expectations differ.

The more people shrug their shoulders and adapt to the deterioration of the product without advising RCI of their displeasure, the less incentive they will have to improve things and the more passengers will move on to other lines or other experiences with their precious vacation time. And for the record, I'm one of those "shills" referred to earlier. Guess I was a bad choice for the job.

I also value Sue's replies and I appreciate helpful posts. I'm only platinum, never a loyalist (or whatever) but I really do enjoy my cruises with Royal. I'm sorry many of you don't and I guess I won't see you on my next cruise, huh? Please enjoy whatever line you end up on. I've sold 3 new people on Royal just taking them on the Majesty so 3 of you can go away without Adam Goldstein losing any sleep. So ... buh bye now!

Why isn't it fair? Isn't that the job of a good agent to give their clients the benefit of their expertise and tell what they like and don't like about a line?

I for one enjoy Sue L's opinions.

I agree. Where is it written that a TA can't offer opinions.

Marilyn shouldn't be telling anyone what they should and shouldn't do.

I've been reading all the reponses and find it fascinating that a number of people got so upset about criticism of the Navigator. I don't recall reading criticism of the entire line. It was only one ship and only some elements of some cruises. Keep it in perspective folks. :rolleyes:

2P.P1

we did 9 RC cruises in the past 5 years and, for the first time in a long time, we don't have another booked. we have watched (sadly) the rapid decline in food quality and service. once the diamond carpet was pulled out from under us, that was it, at least for a while. our vacation time is precious and their current offerings just don't cut it. see ya around, RC.

we did 9 RC cruises in the past 5 years and, for the first time in a long time, we don't have another booked. we have watched (sadly) the rapid decline in food quality and service. once the diamond carpet was pulled out from under us, that was it, at least for a while. our vacation time is precious and their current offerings just don't cut it. see ya around, RC.

Our letter to RC after our Nav TA cruise also talked about the loss of D benefits. That is fleetwide.

Don't be afraid to try Carnival. We did and were pleasantly surprised. We sailed on Carnival Valor in June and have been with them since. We took Navigator just to give Royal another chance. Today I am canceling my other bookings with Royal after my experience this weekend.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

This post says volumes! I've sailed both RCI and carnival rewcently, as far as sailing carnival, be afraid, be very afraid! Carnival is gaudy and cheap looking, not the beautiful ships that RCL has. The food is mediocre at best and the crew on 2 of the 5 carnival ships I was on acted as if they hated their jobs! I've been on 6 RCI cruises and have never seen that kind of apathy there! The lay out of carnival ships is bad, making them difficult to get around and causing problems with crowds. If you're willing to settle, try carnival, but don't expect much, maybe that way you won't be too disappointed.

cryovac sealed pre-prepared "PRime Rib", to the toilet system that broke down, to the lack of skating time,to the poorly trained service staff

Have other experienced the same perspective

Sir I sailed the transatlantic cruise on Navigator this year which would be the cruise prior to yours and found the staff plesant and curtious, The prime rib was excelent served rare so I how it can be pre-prepared did you send it back to the chef or just eat it and whined. If they dont know its broke they ain't gonna fix it.

The toilet system made it across the atlantic with no problems it only breaks down when idiots put things down that shouldn't go in there.

I've sailed the explorer,voyger and navigator and believe the navigator is the better ship.

I read before sailing that people were not happy with the food but we had lobster twice Escorgot, prime rib,lamb shank,sirlion steak what more do you want for your 2bucks.

Our waiter and assistant waiter were as good as any I've met the head waiters were always visable so if you had a problem you should have called one over thats what their paid for.

The only problem we had was queue jumpimg and getting off the ship because your imigration held things up

Yes I'm british and I call a spade a spade so if you find something wrong ask some-one to fix it, if they don't then tell some-one higher up and if that doesn't work then whine on here

DITTO! However, op seems to have an ax to grind with RCL. I hope he dose stay with carnival, he seems quite fitted to that line.

I have read complaints from long time RCI cruisers who insist that the quality of service, food, entertainment, etc. has declined in recent years.

As I'm not married to any one cruise line (no matter how wonderful an experience, I love to try new things), I've been researching various other cruise lines. Unfortunately, I have not found ONE cruise line on these boards which does not have the same thread running through the forums: Every one of them seem to have "declined" in recent years. It's a little frustrating to try to decide which cruise line to try next when all I read here from people who have a lot of cruises under their belts are complaints about the cruising experience now relative to how it used to be. CCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, doesn't seem to matter. Long time loyalists are bemoaning the current climate on those lines.:(

I have read complaints from long time RCI cruisers who insist that the quality of service, food, entertainment, etc. has declined in recent years.

As I'm not married to any one cruise line (no matter how wonderful an experience, I love to try new things), I've been researching various other cruise lines. Unfortunately, I have not found ONE cruise line on these boards which does not have the same thread running through the forums: Every one of them seem to have "declined" in recent years. It's a little frustrating to try to decide which cruise line to try next when all I read here from people who have a lot of cruises under their belts are complaints about the cruising experience now relative to how it used to be. CCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, doesn't seem to matter. Long time loyalists are bemoaning the current climate on those lines.:(

You got that right.

All the lines have to keep the basic fares low, to attract passengers. They all have created extra revenue streams on board such as premium restaurants, fancy events (ship's tours, balcony dining, chef's table, B & J ice cream, etc etc. etc.).

Watch for a rerun on CNBC of the show on the business of cruising. It focuses on NCL but the point is the same for all the lines - they lose money on the base fare and make it up on extras.

for us, it might be worth the incremental cost to move up to a "premium" line, even though their loyalists may be crying about cutbacks, too! only thing i know for sure is i won't know until i try. ;)

We are going to cruise on Royal one more time and then we are going to branch out and try other lines since they have done away with alot of the extras. However, I am going to do this last cruise and see how it goes because we have always received great service.

This post says volumes! I've sailed both RCI and carnival rewcently, as far as sailing carnival, be afraid, be very afraid! Carnival is gaudy and cheap looking, not the beautiful ships that RCL has. The food is mediocre at best and the crew on 2 of the 5 carnival ships I was on acted as if they hated their jobs! I've been on 6 RCI cruises and have never seen that kind of apathy there! The lay out of carnival ships is bad, making them difficult to get around and causing problems with crowds. If you're willing to settle, try carnival, but don't expect much, maybe that way you won't be too disappointed.

That sir, is complete garbage

Why did you sail on Carnival 5 times, then?

I agree that the ships are gaudy; that's part of the Carnival schtick and I don't care for the decor. But I found the food on the Paradise to be superior to that on Monarch (it's not fair to compare an older ship to a new one), and the service to be very good in most areas. I have had some mediocre service on RCI, and have found myself in plenty of crowds on their ships as well.

Well I shared, I am saying what I experienced as a traveler not as an agent. I booked this cruise before I was one. I had a wonderful cruise and I said that . You know me for a long time and this attack is one of the reasons I am no longer enjoying this site. I book all cruise lines but I prefer RCCL as a cruiser and I shared my views.

This site used to have the reputation that if you said anything bad about a cruise line you'd be slammed. Now it seems like if you dare say anything nice, your motives are immediately questioned.

We cruised Explorer OTS last January, just got off the ship again yesterday. Although it may not be nickel and dimeing there has been a significant decrease in service over the 3 cruises we have taken on Explorer. Our wait staff, late seating was excellent, no complaint. Quality of the menu and food has suffered big time. At least they finally changed the shows since our two previous cruises, but not the ice show.

The furniture in our room was highly stained to the point of looking dirty. Sections of the assembly holding windows in place on deck 11 were falling off. Speaker hanging by their wires. The ship is very worn and needs the January dry dock. I don't think they do much maintenance any more, fix it with bandaids until the next drydock.

Sad thing to watch almost a dozen staff members putting up the Christmas tree the day before Thanksgiving. Dislodge most of the Cafe Promenade seating while staff beats on the metal frame work with hammers to put the tree together. Supervision and direction of this operation was a joke.

We won't stop cruising on Royal (we are diamond level), but plan to shop very wisely. We are not totally disappointed but I hope that RCCL management starts to take a hard look at the way they do business, or is their goal to be another "Carnival"????

Archived