Looks like Princess will have to wait LONGER for a new ship...

pseudochicken

Carnival Corp. ordered the first new build post-recession (kinda post anyway) for its main line, Carnival Cruise Line (a 3rd Dream Class ship):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3451-12109-new-130000-ton-ship-ordered-for-carnival-cruise-lines-unit-.html

No huge surprise other than the fact that it's been stated many times that Carnival wants to expand the fleet of Princess Cruises.

I was thinking that maybe Carnival Corp is holding back on new orders for Princess because they are designing a new class for Princess? Speculation on my part, but I am aloud to day dream, right?!

Ha ha anyway thought you all would like to know. :cool:

Carnival Corp. ordered the first new build post-recession (kinda post anyway) for its main line, Carnival Cruise Line (a 3rd Dream Class ship):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/3451-12109-new-130000-ton-ship-ordered-for-carnival-cruise-lines-unit-.html

No huge surprise other than the fact that it's been stated many times that Carnival wants to expand the fleet of Princess Cruises.

I was thinking that maybe Carnival Corp is holding back on new orders for Princess because they are designing a new class for Princess? Speculation on my part, but I am aloud to day dream, right?!

The news changes every day in this economy. :p

Hopefully, it'll be the first in a series of orders... Princess included.

It looks like a new class according to a newer article from the same source.

http://www.cruisecommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=910:featuredstories&layout=blog&Itemid=69

Carnival aims for Princess order by year’s end

Tuesday, 01 December 2009 15:47

When Carnival Corp. & plc placed an order for 2012 delivery with Fincantieri today, some were surprised the ship is for the Carnival brand.

Carnival Cruise Lines already has a newbuild coming in 2011, and corporate management had indicated a desire to build for Princess Cruises, which has no new capacity scheduled. The last Princess delivery was 2008’s Ruby Princess.

A Princess order may be imminent.

‘We are still working on Princess,’ a Carnival spokesman told Seatrade Insider. ‘It is a new class and design is taking slightly longer than anticipated.’

The company is still hopeful of placing that order before the end of the year for delivery in 2013, he added.

If that happens, it will be the cruise industry’s first newbuild on the books for 2013.

The 116,000gt Ruby Princess capped a three-ship series for Princess consisting of Emerald Princess in 2007 and Crown Princess in 2006.

A longer wait, but hopefully if it is a new build, it will be worth the wait.

I to was hoping for a new ship this coming year too.

It seems likely that any princess new build will be at least the size of the newer Grand Class ships, most likely bigger, and built from the same platform. I imagine the Piazza concept will be greatly expanded, possibly even gaining an addition such as the indoor/outdoor Promenade Deck seen on Carnival Dream. They will probably take the current Princess trademarks and expand them, while keeping the overall same aesthetic look.

I actually really look forward to a new Princess design (I'm imagining a 2014 launch for a first ship, 2015 launch for a second).

I fully expect a slightly larger version of the 'Gem' class vessels- somewhere around 130,000 tons with a strong family resemblance to the 'Grand' class, which has became the signature Princess look... expanded onboard facilities with the addition of new innovations.

How that will translate I cannot say- but I figure it will be more similar than different from what we have now- because it is more economically friendly to stay the course than throw a curve ball into the game.

I would love to see a larger and more elaborate Piazza area as well as a covered pool area.

I agree- the original design had the covered 'Crystal Dome' over one of the mid-ship pools and that fell by the wayside in favor of MUTS... a bad decision, IMO. When you have the worldwide itineraries that Princess offers, it needs the flexibility in its design to be able to offer all its amenities in all waters, both warm and cool.

I feel they may move toward a more adult-focused Solarium or 'Serenity' area of its own beyond The Sanctuary that includes an indoor garden type area with a pool or perhaps a T-Pool for adult guests only.

I, for one, hope Princess takes a few design cues from Celebrity Solstice as it designs its newest class of premium contemporary vessels.

It looks like a new class according to a newer article from the same source.

http://www.cruisecommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=910:featuredstories&layout=blog&Itemid=69

A longer wait, but hopefully if it is a new build, it will be worth the wait.

It'll probably be based on the Dream hull... with a Princess look.

It'll probably be based on the Dream hull... with a Princess look.

I don't think they will go totally with a Dream hull with a sea witch thrown on... I believe it will be a 130,000 ton vessel such as Dream, but will be a lengthened and wider version of their current Gem class.

That 'Princess look' is what sets their ships apart... galleon sterns and the forward protected promenade at the bow...

So, anyone who remembers when I was quite active on the Princess board may remember those MS Paint designs?

Well, this thread motivated me to do another.

This is about what I'd imagine from a Princess newbuild...

NewClass3-1.jpg

Longer and wider, added decks of balconies, that new lifeboat configuration where the lifeboats are suspended aside the ship (and have greater capacities). The original Promenade space has been freed up and extended over the lifeboats which now hang a deck below (like on Carnival Dream). Furthermore, I softened the harsh Grand class stern, repositioned Skywalkers a bit, and dedicated more space to an aft pool area (I was thinking something like Spice H2O on Epic).

The Lotus spa pool has been enclosed, which allows the Sanctuary to blend with the pool. The spa has also been lengthened.

This was put together rather quickly, so I'll try to dedicate some time to making it more complete.

What no one has mentioned is the biggest news of all regarding the new Carnival ship order: it's contracted for in US$, not Euros. That means that if shipyards are willing to contract for a ship in US$, the cruiselines don't have to worry about fluctuating, or increased, costs. If Carnival Corp. can complete a contract in US$, an order for Princess is not far behind.

So, anyone who remembers when I was quite active on the Princess board may remember those MS Paint designs?

Well, this thread motivated me to do another.

This is about what I'd imagine from a Princess newbuild...

NewClass3-1.jpg

Longer and wider, added decks of balconies, that new lifeboat configuration where the lifeboats are suspended aside the ship (and have greater capacities). The original Promenade space has been freed up and extended over the lifeboats which now hang a deck below (like on Carnival Dream). Furthermore, I softened the harsh Grand class stern, repositioned Skywalkers a bit, and dedicated more space to an aft pool area (I was thinking something like Spice H2O on Epic).

The Lotus spa pool has been enclosed, which allows the Sanctuary to blend with the pool. The spa has also been lengthened.

This was put together rather quickly, so I'll try to dedicate some time to making it more complete.

Wondered what happened to you, I enjoyed looking at your ship designs. ;)

A while back Princess announced they were going to a 2 year instead of 3 year dry dock schedule......I interpreted that to mean that they were investing more $ in existing ships vs planning a new build.That was several months ago though, and now that the one year celebration in California/ count-down to launch of Cunard's QE has passed they may be "thinking" in the new build direction, hope not a behemoth (sp)........I'm still not convinced the new build chatter is more than just hopeful speculation ( I am desperately hoping that a new build is not the usual Grand Class blueprint) . Supposedly an "annnouncemnent by the end of 2010" if i am not wrong???? still a long way off.

At our M & G on the 15th Nov 09 i asked the Captain who had kindly attended our meeting whether Princess had plans to order any new ships! ... his reply was that they are always looking to increase the number in the fleet but wasnt able to say when that would be.

But who knows what the future holds if they are paying in $... instead of Euros!

As for more orders for Costa .... Fincantieri still have 2 builds on their books up to 2012.

You can bet that they've got plans already made for new ships, including all of the engineering drawings, and are just waiting for the right time to order. It takes a long time (1 - 2 years?) to plan a new ship down to the smallest detail so they have to have them ready to go.

www.maritimematters.com, in an article confirming Carnival's new order, speculates that orders for Princess and Costa will be made soon.

I'm still hoping that Princess' order will be for something smaller, Panamax, for the Panama Canal run.

Smaller Panamax size vessels are popular with regular cruisers, but I think they the Grand class size vessels are most popular with the occasional cruisers, which make up the bulk of the market. Furthermore, with the widening project going on the Panama canal, even the Oasis of the Seas will be able to pass through. I think it's supposed to be done by 2013.

Smaller Panamax size vessels are popular with regular cruisers, but I think they the Grand class size vessels are most popular with the occasional cruisers, which make up the bulk of the market. Furthermore, with the widening project going on the Panama canal, even the Oasis of the Seas will be able to pass through. I think it's supposed to be done by 2013.

Actually 2014, and correct, Panamax will mean something entirely by then...

Actually 2014, and correct, Panamax will mean something entirely by then...

I think they will need to come up with new terminology for the when the Panama Canal widening project is done.

The old Panamax vessels can still be called: Panamax

Ships that can fit in the widened version could be called: Neopanamax

And ships too big for that can be called: Post-neopanamax. A mouthful.

I did some research and Oasis of the Seas will BARELY be able to fit into these new locks. The new locks fit a ship with the following dimensions: 1200 ft long, beam of 160 ft, draft of 50 ft. The oasis is 1181 ft long, has a beam of 154 feet at the waterline and a draft of 31 ft. WOW!!!

So should we be expecting some Panama Canal cruises on the Oasis come 2014? :D

If RCCL decides to make an extension of the Oasis class (much like the Freedom class is do the Voyager), then that would be the first Post-neopanamax size cruise vessel. :rolleyes:

Just found this interesting little snippet! from a well known and respected person in the cruise Industry.

However, Carnival insiders say another new ship, for delivery in 2013, may be ordered before this year is out – and it will definitely have Princess’s name on it.

http://travel.sky.com/inspiration/blogs/Cruise-Diary

Well I certainly hope Carnival Corp does order a new ship for Princess! It would be great if it was a new design! I really do think that the Princess vessels of the past 11 years have been the best aesthetically speaking. Though I do also like the Royal Caribbean design.

Disney would actually be my favorite if it weren't for the stupid mickey mouse logos all over. :eek: Disney ships look like a perfect blend of modernity and classic ocean liner design. :cool:

Archived