Evening Purses for Formal Wear........

sail7seas

Any suggestions for high quality evening bags for formal nights..... ;) skip the Judith Leiber suggestions. I'd rather have jewelry than jeweled purses. :D

I looked in Neimans, Saks and Macy's. Can't find anything of high quality with any design other than the same old thing.

Don't need anything large, of course........ just to hold lipstick, room key card, tissues, breath mints and reading glasses. Just the usual things.

Thanks if you can help.

You don't need "high quality" for an evening bag....like you said...just something to carry lipstick and such! Evening bags are pretty much all the same....in different colors and materials!

Pick something that "goes with" your dress (outfit). They have plain, small velvet purses, or something in a satin-y fabric....no "jewels"!

Actually, it would be quite easy to make one yourself, if you can sew a seam!

I've been using the same three evening bags for over ten years now, so I haven't looked to see what's available new. Just now, I did some web surfing and found a lot of very ornate, expensive, but obnoxious bags.

I did see some Baggallini bags that I liked. They are plainer. There are also some "Bam" bags and J. Furmani. They look better to me than the "jeweled" or sequined things.

goes to eBags for almost every line you can think of. Try Mary Frances - the bags are small and absolutely gorgeous (but not cheap), and a lot less than Judith Lieber! I just bought 3 very small clutch bags at eBags - silver, gold, and navy - but they are not really jewelled; however, they were exactly what I was looking for and the price was right.

I went to Ross and got a $4 cosmetic bag, in a satin-ish material. I could have (but didn't) glued some kind of sparkly onto it, or pinned on a brooch. I don't necessarily equate quality with price; it did the job and I doubt that it horrified anyone. And it was $4. :D

You don't need "high quality" for an evening bag....like you said...just something to carry lipstick and such! Evening bags are pretty much all the same....in different colors and materials!

Pick something that "goes with" your dress (outfit). They have plain, small velvet purses, or something in a satin-y fabric....no "jewels"!

Actually, it would be quite easy to make one yourself, if you can sew a seam!

I agree. I will not spend a lot of money for something I will use very rarely. I do have a cute purse I bought at Butterfly World in Ft. Lauderdale. We went there after debarking a cruise in April 2008. It is a bronze color satin, and it has a few beads in silver and champagne colors that form butterflies, but it is NOT all over beads-just enough to make three butterflies. It is very pretty, in colors that blend with most of what I have, so it is almost a neutral, and I paid $14.99.

I've been using the same three evening bags for over ten years now, so I haven't looked to see what's available new. Just now, I did some web surfing and found a lot of very ornate, expensive, but obnoxious bags.

I did see some Baggallini bags that I liked. They are plainer. There are also some "Bam" bags and J. Furmani. They look better to me than the "jeweled" or sequined things.

If they do the job, why buy more? At least that is how I feel. I will not spend a lot of money-the only exception would be if I was to find a beautiful vintage bag from the 20's to 50's that was in excellent condition.

If they do the job, why buy more? At least that is how I feel. I will not spend a lot of money-the only exception would be if I was to find a beautiful vintage bag from the 20's to 50's that was in excellent condition.

Hi momofmeg...Haven't heard from you lately and just saw your post. Hope everything is well with you :)

Hi momofmeg...Haven't heard from you lately and just saw your post. Hope everything is well with you :)

Hi, I replied to you in the float-away. Enjoy your cruise this weekend. Are you taking a new evening purse for formal night? LOL! I had to bring it back on topic!

Steinmart seems to have pretty ones. But so does Dillards, Belks,

and JC Penney also carries evening bags.

I guess it depends on the style you are looking for..color and shape

as well......

I don't spend a lot of $ for them as they only serve one major

purpose for me;) formal nights on my cruises:D

Steinmart seems to have pretty ones. But so does Dillards, Belks,

and JC Penney also carries evening bags.

I guess it depends on the style you are looking for..color and shape

as well......

I don't spend a lot of $ for them as they only serve one major

purpose for me;) formal nights on my cruises:D

Sadly, we do not have Steinmart, Dillards or Belks in Boston.

We do have JC Penney but I haven't been there in ages. Might have to go have a 'look see'. :)

Whoa........ I agree it's REALLY cool but a little pricier than I'm interested in. The color is perfect. :) My preference is black. Thanks so much for trying to help.

I know we all spend different amounts for different items but 1495.00

is more than I can afford:rolleyes:. Even if I could? I would spend it on a

cruise:D and not a purse:eek:

One of my bags that I've had for over ten years is really much older than that. I bought it in a vintage/consignment shop in 1997, because it reminded me of one my mother had in about 1956. It is a silver mesh clutch, with a white taffeta lining. The frame is silver (or silver colored metal) and has no wear at all, nor does the mesh or the lining. The clasp is as sure as it was in 1997.

I might need or want new dresses or shoes, but I could go the rest of my life without buying another evening bag, as I truly enjoy using the ones that I have. I only use evening bags for about three to ten events per year, so they're not likely to wear out.

I have a variety of evening bags in assorted colors that I have purchased over the years. But my favorite is my MIL's beaded purse from the 40's...the one she used to carry when they would go out dancing during the big band era :) She let me carry it on our wedding day and when she passed, she left it to me, along with her pearls.

So I have to vote for looking in a vintage shop as well!

Archived