Is a little etiquette too much to ask for?

footzz

I agree wholeheartedly that common courtesy is sadly lacking everywhere these days, not just on cruise ships.

The selfish attitude of some folks on cruise is appaling. Manners come from the home as well as school. Unfortunately there may be a need to introduce it as a bona fide subject in schools, as the message is not getting though to some.

Just my thoughts....

Unfortunately' date=' some of the classtime gets devoted to teaching how to take those Leave No Child Behind tests. Lots of time.

[/quote']

If only. In this state it's the STATE mandated tests that are done every quarter, but then you have to take "practice tests" so you can determine how well you will do on the real tests.............

I read this thread with interest as I am recently off a B2B cruise on Carnival...I was disgusted/horrified with the behavior of a lot of the passengers. Here is a sampling of some of the incidents I witnessed:

- People picking through the food on the buffet line with bare hands

- One woman held up the buffet line for close to 10 minutes while she waited for a new batch of fried chicken to arrive. She then proceeded to pick through each piece until she found "her" pieces. If I had been closer to her, I would have asked her to step out of the line to avoid a huge backup.

- Men eating shirtless in the buffet...gross. Men and women barefoot in the buffet. Morbidly obese women in skimpy bikinis and barefoot in the buffet

- Extreme rudeness to the staff

- A women was eating sushi in the public bathroom over the sink and just threw a piece and her chopsticks around the sink, in front of a staff member

- Unsupervised children playing catch with food, diving into the whirlpools

- A man wore a wrestling mask to the main dining room one night and never took it off...I should have taken a picture!

There were many more examples, but these were just some that stand out to me. Thanks for letting me vent!!

I read this thread with interest as I am recently off a B2B cruise on Carnival...I was disgusted/horrified with the behavior of a lot of the passengers. Here is a sampling of some of the incidents I witnessed:

- One woman held up the buffet line for close to 10 minutes while she waited for a new batch of fried chicken to arrive. She then proceeded to pick through each piece until she found "her" pieces. If I had been closer to her, I would have asked her to step out of the line to avoid a huge backup.

- Men eating shirtless in the buffet...gross. Men and women barefoot in the buffet. Morbidly obese women in skimpy bikinis and barefoot in the buffet

- A women was eating sushi in the public bathroom over the sink and just threw a piece and her chopsticks around the sink, in front of a staff member

- A man wore a wrestling mask to the main dining room one night and never took it off...I should have taken a picture!

There were many more examples, but these were just some that stand out to me. Thanks for letting me vent!!

There's nothin' like travellin' on a Carny is there?

I've bookmarked this post for reference next time someone asks me why I haven't tried Carnival.....:D

Sorry to the parents who both work and think they are bringing their kids up propper. Most of you answering had your parents both working as well if you were born after 1970.

I avoid cruises anymore that sail in the summer, holidays or school breaks. I also like 14 day or longer cruises. I also now know which cruise lines get the dollar store types and who gets the Nordstrom types. I am not affaid to speak up if someone cuts in line. I get to shows early so there are plenty of seats that havn't been "saved" by clods. I don't swim anymore so I try to find lounge chairs that are away from the pool.

It's not up to the cruise lines to teach people manners, however maybe the first day they should have a manditory manners siminar. Todays generation wants everything right now, and their "it's all about me" attitude. Most are blind to other people and could care less about them.

If you are in a buffet line or ordering food on deck, know what you want. Look at the menu up on the board before you are at the front of the line, courtesy goes both ways. Don't make people wait behind you because you had your head up your a.. and weren't ready to order.:mad:

So, I guess you are saying that parents who both work and who think they are bringing up their children properly are wrong? (My parents, both teachers, must be cringing with shame at their foolish belief that they raised three good kids.)

BTW, it's possible to shop at the Dollar Store and shop at Nordstrom's. I know many people who do. Besides, shopping at Nordstrom's doesn't make someone better or even mean they have better manners; it means they are shopping at a store that sells generally more expensive things. (Plus, there is an arrogant attitude that I'm perceiving here, but may be wrong about that.)

You would like cruise lines to have mandatory manners seminars? Interesting. It could be right before the muster drill. What do you suggest they do? Remove passengers from the ship if they don't pass your arbitrary standard? Yes, many people today have an "all about me" attitude and many want instant gratification. The trouble with generalizing it as "today's generation" is that we see it with all ages of passengers and people in society. Ever gotten between certain 70 year olds and their food/desired lounge/preferred theater seat/elevator door? It can be an ugly thing to behold.

How do you propose that people standing in a buffet line "look at the menu on the board" considering that there usually isn't one? Should we all scout out the entire buffets in advance and decide exactly what we want so that you won't have to wait a minute or two...Oh, and isn't that kind of impatience an attitude of "I want what I want right now...you're in my way"? Maybe I'm not sure exactly what I want until I actually see it when I get to the front of the grill line. Perhaps the hamburger doesn't look as appetizing as I had hoped, so I might take a minute or two choosing something else. Courtesy goes both ways, as you say, so have a bit of patience with others. Just because I don't instantly know what I want doesn't mean I've had my head up my anything. (Pretty rude to assume that, IMO.)

BTW, it's certainly true that some people could not care less about others, but most of us do.

beachchick

We are in our 60s and have cruised extensively for about 40 years. Like the others, we have seen a steady degradation in the manners of fellow cruisers. However, our problem is not the younger cruisers (to us this would be under 40) but rather our fellow seniors who seem to have forgotten their manners. My favorite example was an elderly lady (probably about 80) who cut in front of a buffet line (that would be a queue jumper to you Brits) while on a recent Princess Cruise. I politely explained to the lady that there was a line for the buffet. She responded that she was old which meant she could cut in any line! We also noticed that on our recent Ruby Princess cruise (2 weeks ago) that many seniors had no problem smoking in no-smoking sections of the ship. One guy (in his 60s) sat down on a lounger near us and lit a large cigar. Now I will admit that is was a darn good cigar (a Cuban Cohiba) but it still was overpowering. I did have a chat with this guy about the cigar (I also like a good cigar) and than casually mentioned that there was only one place on-board where cigar smoking was permitted. He told me he was aware of the rules, didn't like those rules, and figured anywhere he sat was the appropriate place to smoke a cigar.

Hank

Archived