New Pet Peeve - robes in public areas.

FoxyTerrier

Standin' on the corner, watchin' all the girls go by.

Standin' on the corner, giving all the girls the eye.

Brother, you don't know a nicer occupation.

Matter of fact, neither do I.

Than standin' on the corner, watchin' all the girls, watchin' all the girls, watchin' all the girls....go by.

(Four Lads, 1956)

Poky please post you picture, I'd love to see it!!

Wallgator, I have no clue how to post a picture and I don't want to break the camera.:DBut thanks for asking. Maybe on our next cruise I'll have DH take one and send it Joanie.:eek: Maybe.

Wallgator, I have no clue how to post a picture and I don't want to break the camera.:DBut thanks for asking. Maybe on our next cruise I'll have DH take one and send it Joanie.:eek: Maybe.

If you have a picture send it me Email bellow no secret and I'll post it for you. OK

HAL really needs to inform the dress codes.

I'm probably being picky but I'm not sure if you mean that HAL needs to ENFORCE the dress codes or if you mean that HAL needs to INFORM pax what the dress codes are.

Personally I think that ship personnel should gently remind those in robes who remain in public places (such as the Lido or NL) that the robes are for cabin use only.

Maybe HAL should put muumuu's in the cabins instead. But then I don't know what the guys would wear. :D

One of HAL's biggest mistakes was putting robes in every cabin for every passenger. It's a BATHrobe---to be worn in the BATH, and adjacent dressing, area. :rolleyes:
[

Good point!!

Maybe one of those detectors like in a department store. If you leave the cabin with the robe a "beep, beep, beep" sound keeps going off.

I LOVE this idea!! :) Especially if the 'beep,beep' sound continues the whole time they're out of their cabin in the robe. There's probably attention seekers though who'd like to beep wherever they go.

[

Good point!!

I LOVE this idea!! :) Especially if the 'beep,beep' sound continues the whole time they're out of their cabin in the robe. There's probably attention seekers though who'd like to beep wherever they go.

Please explain to the world why you are not happy by these actions? Is it they look good or nasty?

I have been off the boards for a good while busy with my upstart business, but in a quiet moment I decided to pop in and see what was being discussed.

What I found was the same discussion with the same participants as a year ago, or two years ago..... so glad to see that I haven't missed too much in the interim!!;):D

Good points, Ruth!

I think some people look at the robes as beach-type cover-ups, while others look at them as something you wear in the privacy of your cabin.

The people who view them as cover-ups probably have no hesitation in wearing them into the Neptune Lounge -- just as they wear their swimsuit cover-ups in the Lido.

Those who feel the robes are akin to sleepwear are most likely the ones appalled by seeing someone in the NL in a robe.

In my one-and-only time cruising in a suite, I did not see anyone in a robe in the NL. :eek:

What I did see in the NL was a man walking in barefoot and carrying his sneakers! He walked through to the table at the back of the lounge, sat down and put his sneakers on. On his feet -- not on the table! Not sure why he could not have put them on BEFORE he entered the NL.

We just came off the Ryndam and I noted a woman one day walking through the Lido buffet area wearing her white robe and a toque on her head!! I didn't know what that was all about. I suppose she was going to or coming from the spa but you don't have to walk THROUGH the eating area of the buffet dining room!! It looked totally out of place and stupid. I agree that these robes are meant for your cabin, as in housecoat, not for using out in public. Perhaps some people wear them to the salon and I see nothing wrong with that, or you pop out of your cabin to go to the laundry room (which I have done) although I did feel a bit uncomfortable if I ran into someone. But honestly......in the diningroom???? Just my opinion.

Please explain to the world why you are not happy by these actions? Is it they look good or nasty?

YIKES!!!!!

A remark like that started a riot at work a few weeks ago.

A young lady started here and the Lane Bryant/ orthopedic shoe crowd have been tearing her outfits apart like Joan Rivers on the red carpet.

I could care less if someone wears a bathrobe over their swimsuit on the pool deck or anywhere else for that matter. I never give it a moments thought. We are usually too busy enjoying ourselves or reading/sunning to be bothered about anything like this. I cannot control what others wear, don't want to either, and hence don't worry about it. I am on board to have a restful vacation, not to critique the behaviour/dress or customs of others on board. Life is too short for that.

I simply cannot understand all the fuss over how people dress. I would much rather be sitting next to a person in boxers and a robe on formal night that some of the "stuffed shirts" I have encountered on past cruises. Another person's dress or lack of is not hurting you - leave them be.

I am quite sure they are talking just as much about how they hate your superior attitude as you are about their dress.

I have been off the boards for a good while busy with my upstart business, but in a quiet moment I decided to pop in and see what was being discussed.

What I found was the same discussion with the same participants as a year ago, or two years ago..... so glad to see that I haven't missed too much in the interim!!;):D

Hi, Sher. Kinda like missing some episodes of your favorite soap operah, eh?

Hope the business is going well. Miss you around here.

We're finding more and more that the line between private and public spaces is blurry for a number of people. But people watching is part of the joy of cruising, no? I agree that boxer shorts and an open robe paired with open legs is not something I want to sit across from in the NL but what good is saying anything to anyone that clueless anyhow? Last time we were in the Lido a guy was in my direct view line wearing a really baggy pair of shorts over, apparently, baggy boxers or nothing (fine) and shoes and black socks (fine) but had, for reasons known only to heaven, his legs apart and one leg braced against the side of his booth (not fine :eek:) so he could lean back and converse over his shoulder with people at the table behind him, I was tempted to take a picture. A woman I assume was with his party came into the booth area and whacked his leg with her hand. Then he looked over and sat up and that ended that show. Views of tramp-stamps, thongs, you name it: they all make for lively conversations with us. Bottom line: as long as we are fed and have a comfy place to sit bring on the parade! margretha

Hello Parrot57,

You say << I simply cannot understand all the fuss over how people dress. I would much rather be sitting next to a person in boxers and a robe on formal night that some of the "stuffed shirts" I have encountered on past cruises. Another person's dress or lack of is not hurting you - leave them be. >>

IMO, I'm afraid you're a little off the deep end on this one.

I can't imagine << sitting next to a person in boxers and a robe on formal night >> but if it happened (somewhere below the Lido deck), you can bet I'd say something. And it wouldn't be "have a nice evening".

Scott & Karen

Can you imagine how very boring it would be if everyone dressed in the same style of dress as expressed by the 'cruise officianados', 'fashion divas' and 'cruise etiquette experts' for all on

board activites/functions/locations? It would make people watching a very boring affair and the heated discussions would eventually make it down a level that focussed on the colour of one's socks.

Only slightly off topic; there was a picture circulated a couple of years ago that someone took of a ship from the dock. Several cruisers, on different decks, were standing by their Plexiglas railings drinking coffee and wearing nothing but their cruise robes. Guess it never occurred to any of them how the angle of the camera could affect the view:eek:...anyway, I've been very careful since seeing that picture!

I can't imagine << sitting next to a person in boxers and a robe on formal night >> but if it happened (somewhere below the Lido deck), you can bet I'd say something. And it wouldn't be "have a nice evening".

Scott & Karen

I'm not being facetious here: can I ask you why? Why would you feel the need to comment to someone on their dress?

Only slightly off topic; there was a picture circulated a couple of years ago that someone took of a ship from the dock. Several cruisers, on different decks, were standing by their Plexiglas railings drinking coffee and wearing nothing but their cruise robes. Guess it never occurred to any of them how the angle of the camera could affect the view:eek:...anyway, I've been very careful since seeing that picture!

Off topic here too. Hi Cheryl, I hope you had a nice trip visiting your parents. Actually you were only about 1 1/2 hrs. away from us. Can't wait to meet you on our cruise. I need sun, warmth, etc. The temps here are only in the high 20's, low 30's. :eek: Barb

We're finding more and more that the line between private and public spaces is blurry for a number of people. But people watching is part of the joy of cruising, no? I agree that boxer shorts and an open robe paired with open legs is not something I want to sit across from in the NL but what good is saying anything to anyone that clueless anyhow? Last time we were in the Lido a guy was in my direct view line wearing a really baggy pair of shorts over, apparently, baggy boxers or nothing (fine) and shoes and black socks (fine) but had, for reasons known only to heaven, his legs apart and one leg braced against the side of his booth (not fine :eek:) so he could lean back and converse over his shoulder with people at the table behind him, I was tempted to take a picture. A woman I assume was with his party came into the booth area and whacked his leg with her hand. Then he looked over and sat up and that ended that show. Views of tramp-stamps, thongs, you name it: they all make for lively conversations with us. Bottom line: as long as we are fed and have a comfy place to sit bring on the parade! margretha

LOL...that's conjuring up quite a mental image! :eek: ;) :eek:

I had to look to see where you were from - would have bet southern U.S. My grandparents were from Tennessee and I remember them saying "house shoes".

Correct about south, in fact I was born and raised in Texas. ;)

It must be a TN thing. My mother-in-law always said house shoes, too.

Not in my case. :)

Archived