New Pet Peeve - robes in public areas.

FoxyTerrier

It could have been my DH you saw in Neptune Lounge in his robe. Our cabin is almost always right across from Neptune Lounge and sometimes he pops in to pick us up a cup of coffee. I don't imagine he is there more than 2 minutes and he's out the door.

I posted this here on this board in the past and many people said they saw nothing wrong with this.....as long as it's a quick in, get the coffee and gone.

Agree with you, in and out for a quick cut of coffee. We also love the suite directly across from the Neptune.

I've been to the Neptune several times in house shoes but fully dressed.

;) We've changed our thinking. :)

Won't see us in Neptune in a robe; not ever. :D

We've been given formal permission to change our mind and are ever so grateful for the waiver. What ever would we have done if permission to change our minds had been denied? :eek:

[ -- and this woman was in her 70's and really shouldn't even have worn a bathing suite.

Did I misunderstand you? Are you saying women in their 70's should never wear a bathing suit even if they are in the pool? :confused: Not arguing with you but that statement if true is not fair to us over 70. I wear a suit when I go into the pool at the gym. If I didn't, oh my.:eek: Maybe what you were saying and I misread is that she should not have had a bathing suit on in this place, that would make more sense.;) Barb

KK, having some fun with you,:) can I or can I not wear a bathing suit on our next cruise in the pool since I am over 70, not a great body but will cover it up properly.:D;) Barb

I agree that robes have no place outside the cabin. Same for house shoes/slippers. There was a woman on our Eurodam cruise who came into the NL often, in her robe and bare feet. I don't even walk around my HOUSE barefoot, much less a cruise ship cabin, hallway, or public lounge. We were totally bewildered by this.

We also saw a very sweaty post-workout woman in only a sports bra and shortshorts in the NL on one of the chairs enjoying a snack. It kind of grossed me out- bare sweaty skin on the chair? Ewww.:cool:

KK, having some fun with you,:) can I or can I not wear a bathing suit on our next cruise in the pool since I am over 70, not a great body but will cover it up properly.:D;) Barb

Hey I'm WELL under 70 and don't have a great body but I wear shorts over my bathing suit at all times. There was a guy on my last cruise that was well over 70 wearing a speedo. It was WAY too much information for most of us but he walked around like he was something hot. If you feel you want to do it why do you feel you need permission? So many here seem to thing it's fine and dandy to wear whatever you please so go for it.

I haven't seen anyone flame you (or anyone else) on this thread.

Disagreement does not equal flaming.

I vehemently disagree with those of you who feel that a robe is not appropriate, but the only person who I have seen writing anything really "flaming" was whoever wrote that thing about the Clampetts (which I hardly count, because it seemed to me that at least half of the show was spent mocking the lesser understand of the more "sophisticated" half of the cast). Otherwise, it seems to me that people have simply provided their opinion.

Maybe they were wearing a flame retardant robe!!!!

Hey I'm WELL under 70 and don't have a great body but I wear shorts over my bathing suit at all times. There was a guy on my last cruise that was well over 70 wearing a speedo. It was WAY too much information for most of us but he walked around like he was something hot. If you feel you want to do it why do you feel you need permission? So many here seem to thing it's fine and dandy to wear whatever you please so go for it.

OMG--You still haven't recovered from that Speedo!!!!! It must have been quite a sight. We'll have to have a contest in April to see who spots the best "over 70" in a Speedo. ;)

Agree with you, in and out for a quick cut of coffee. We also love the suite directly across from the Neptune.

I've been to the Neptune several times in house shoes but fully dressed.

I had to look to see where you were from - would have bet southern U.S. My grandparents were from Tennessee and I remember them saying "house shoes".

Putting on my flame retardant dress now.

I do not want to see ever see people in their PJs, slippers and robes in the Neptune Lounge ever again. We just got off the Zuiderdam and had a great cruise but I saw way too many people in the NL in what I think is a state of undress. I know people like to pop in for coffee, juice and a small breakfast. The last straw was a man sitting across from me eating breakfast with boxers and a loosely tied robe. His legs were spread apart and the robe was gaping open, while his wife was fully dressed. It only takes 2 minutes to pull on some shorts and a t-shirt. It also wasn't only men - I saw several women where gravity was no longer their friend.

For the record I've never seen people dressed this way in the public areas of a hotel.

Taking flame retardant dress off now.

Seriously? I cannot believe the refined people of the NL would be caught dead doing something like this?? I find it offensive to see it anywhere outside the spa or pool. There was a man that was ALWAYS in the buffet on our last cruise in his robe. I really really wanted to ask him if he was really that lazy? Can you NOT put something on?? No one should have to look at this. Not in the buffet, and not in the NL... and not even if you are just "popping" in. Most of these same people would be offended if you didn't dress in the appropriate formal wear.

We won't even walk to the T-Pool in our robes!

I guess I'll done the flame retardant suit also because I just think this practice is WRONG! Hopefully the ones that do do this will read all these posts and decide that they need to get their lazy a$$es dressed to leave their own room. It really does only take a few seconds.

One of HAL's biggest mistakes was putting robes in every cabin for every passenger. It's a BATHrobe---to be worn in the BATH, and adjacent dressing, area. :rolleyes:

At least HAL should put one of those leashes through the arm---you know, like you see in a fur salon, or leather goods store. Or maybe one of those detectors like in a department store. If you leave the cabin with the robe a "beep, beep, beep" sound keeps going off.

Good points, Ruth!

I think some people look at the robes as beach-type cover-ups, while others look at them as something you wear in the privacy of your cabin.

The people who view them as cover-ups probably have no hesitation in wearing them into the Neptune Lounge -- just as they wear their swimsuit cover-ups in the Lido.

Those who feel the robes are akin to sleepwear are most likely the ones appalled by seeing someone in the NL in a robe.

In my one-and-only time cruising in a suite, I did not see anyone in a robe in the NL. :eek:

What I did see in the NL was a man walking in barefoot and carrying his sneakers! He walked through to the table at the back of the lounge, sat down and put his sneakers on. On his feet -- not on the table! Not sure why he could not have put them on BEFORE he entered the NL.

One of HAL's biggest mistakes was putting robes in every cabin for every passenger. It's a BATHrobe---to be worn in the BATH, and adjacent dressing, area. :rolleyes:

At least HAL should put one of those leashes through the arm---you know, like you see in a fur salon, or leather goods store. Or maybe one of those detectors like in a department store. If you leave the cabin with the robe a "beep, beep, beep" sound keeps going off.

That is too funny :D.

OMG--You still haven't recovered from that Speedo!!!!! It must have been quite a sight. We'll have to have a contest in April to see who spots the best "over 70" in a Speedo. ;)

This was another one. I think the one you are referring to was a silver lame one we spotted on the Statendam last November. The guy was much younger wearing that one....but still....TMI:D.

My grandmother used to wear what she called a "house dress." It looked more like a robe to me because it buttoned all the way up the front and was made of a thin cotton floral print material. Just wondering if her "house dress" would have been considered a robe in the NL?

Your post gave me a warm smile. After mom passed away, I find myself wearing her "house dresses" all of the time. (inside my home)

I'd never think of wearing one of them or a robe out of my home, though... heck.... I wouldn't go to the mail box undressed! :)

OK, for all of you who say never to wear the robes outside the cabin, what is the "Miss Manners" way to get from your cabin to the Lido Pool, have a swim, and then go back to your cabin?

Please be specific, we are really ignorant around here...:D

To heck with the robe....just wear the speedo:D.

Zappa Fan said:

Your post gave me a warm smile. After mom passed away, I find myself wearing her "house dresses" all of the time.

In many ways feels like getting a hug from her, doesn't it? I have a jacket of my mom's that I'd wear when I needed comfort. And a shirt of my DH's. And even now, when I miss my dad terribly, I pull out one of his hand-written recipes.... I feel better just seeing his writing.

Back on topic: lorekauf, sounds as though you've had a couple of encounters that made you want to wash your eyeballs :eek:

OK, for all of you who say never to wear the robes outside the cabin, what is the "Miss Manners" way to get from your cabin to the Lido Pool, have a swim, and then go back to your cabin?

My husband's swim trunks can pass for walking shorts. He simply throws on a polo shirt and flip flops. You wouldn't know if he just went for a walk or came from the pool.

Ruth, I like your comment ... some people forget the word "bath" in bathrobes. :)

P.S. Did I mention the suite brunch during the 10/25-11/1 Westerdam cruise? A woman who had more guts to wear a bikini than I showed up in one to the suite brunch in the Pinnacle Grill. Sure, she wore a cover-up. Teal, if you're reading. But it was completely sheer and barely covered her bottom. She raised a lot of eyebrows in the food line and not in a good way. Perhaps this would pass for passing through the lido, but a sit-down brunch in the Pinnacle? :eek:

So far we haven't seen anyone running around wearing just a towel or two.

Wow to see a attractive lady with a great shape runing or walking around with a towel I'd be smiling as my wife poked her umbrella into my ribs.:):cool:

You wear a swimsuit cover-up. They really don't look like bathrobes. Or, try shorts and t-shirt, or (for women), a muumuu or sundress.

It's not hard.

People do this because they really don't know any better or they don't care. Either way they are slobs and in some cases probably exhibitionists too :eek:

Define "slob".

If you are using the word to mean someone who is slovenly, I take exception, as my robes are GORGEOUS, and look quite lovely.

If you are using the word to mean someone who is boorish, I can't argue with the criteria that anyone uses as a basis for that opinion, as they have a right to use whatever they want. However, personally, I base my labels of "boorish" on (what I consider) more significant things than what they wear, such as how they treat the staff or their spouses.

I've said many times on here, to each his own.

I"ll still wave and say good morning to y'all as I go by. :-)

Archived