Can you bring favorite brand sodas on board?

SwissMyst

I love ginger ale and assume HAL will not be carrying my favorite Australian brand: Bundaberg. Nothing else will do.

Can I bring some of my own sodas on board. I know there are restrictions on wine etc, but what about sodas? Or, do I declare this is "medicinal" since I try to keep as much ginger in me as possible while cruising.

Thanks.

Edited by SwissMyst

I love ginger ale and assume HAL will not be carrying my favorite Australian brand: Bundaberg. Nothing else will do.

Can I bring some of my own sodas on board. I know there are restrictions on wine etc, but what about sodas? Or, do I declare this is "medicinal" since I try to keep as much ginger in me as possible while cruising.

Thanks.

YES!!! You can bring all the sodas and water you want!! No need to declare it as medicinal, though that is what hubby thinkls his Mountain Dew is.:D

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Yes, you can bring your own soda aboard. You don't have to claim it's medicinal :). I'm a Pepsi drinker, and usually pick some up in port(s) as HAL only serves Coke products.

You mentioned restrictions on "wine, etc.". Actually, there are no restrictions on bringing aboard wine (including champagne and fortified wines like sherry). You may bring unlimited amounts. You may enjoy the wine in your cabin, or if you take it to the MDR, the wine steward is supposed to charge you corkage of $18 per bottle. I've never been charged, however.

(Joanie beat me to the post! Sorry for the duplicate!)

Edited by fann1sh

Yes, you can bring your own soda aboard. You don't have to claim it's medicinal :). I'm a Pepsi drinker, and usually pick some up in port(s) as HAL only serves Coke products.

You mentioned restrictions on "wine, etc.". Actually, there are no restrictions on bringing aboard wine (including champagne and fortified wines like sherry). You may bring unlimited amounts. You may enjoy the wine in your cabin, or if you take it to the MDR, the wine steward is supposed to charge you corkage of $18 per bottle. I've never been charged, however.

(Joanie beat me to the post! Sorry for the duplicate!)

Not a duplicate at all Fannish!! I did not know for sure the wine restrictions, or lack of, so you were able to answer that:)

Joanie

Thanks all. Since we get to drive to this embarkation port, it will be easy to take on my weighty stash of Bundaberg. Also learned they sell it in Hong Kong so I can stock up when I depart on our next long cruise on "another" :eek: line. Though since that line caters more to British travellers, maybe I should wait and see what their house brand ginger ale is before I stock up there too, hoping they have the same policies.

We have a soda store out in Los Angeles, Galco's, that prides itself on carrying every old fashion brand name and esoterica soda ever put out. It is a trip down memory lane to just look at their inventory. http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm They also find the sugar based glass bottle versions of the same sodas that more typically now come in plastic with high fructose corn syrup sweetener. Only problem is they don't cost a dime and I don't think you can bring the bottles back for a refund.

Edited by SwissMyst

Ah ah ah so funny, i live within walking distance to Galco's. This is a really great store, the sandwiches are great too...

Are you positive about the unlimited wines and sparling wine onboard??

First cruise on HAL, Oosterdam 01/02/2010

Thanks!

Ah ah ah so funny, i live within walking distance to Galco's. This is a really great store, the sandwiches are great too...

Are you positive about the unlimited wines and sparling wine onboard??

First cruise on HAL, Oosterdam 01/02/2010

Thanks!

Welcome aboard Cruise Critic bestagent!!!

Joanie

I like to put it this way: you can bring as much as you like of any beverages except hard liquor and beer.

I had no problem with beer.

While in St Maarten, I picked up 4 different types of the local beer.

Since you're there, might as well sample each one. ;)

And seen a few people going back on board with 6 -packs, and they were let through without a hitch.

So I think a few bottles or cans is keen.

I'm sure if someone rolls a few kegs up the gangway, that might get a red flag. ;)

Try the 6 pack test in your next port. :cool:

THANKS for reminding me about HAL and Coke. I am a Pepsi Person.

My favorite Bundaberg brand of ginger beer also makes a root beer both of which are sold at Cost Plus International Market. If their root beer is as excellent as their ginger beer, I'd say IBC has some serious competition because it too is very good.

Edited by SwissMyst

• 1 month later...
Is soda an allowed carry-on in an embarkation port such as Auckland too?

Wine, champagne, soda, and water are allowed to be brought on board on every cruise. The port does not matter. It can be embarkation or a port stop.

Chug-a-lug!

• 4 years later...
I am aware that the wine policy has changed as of Jan 2014. Can I still bring onboard 6 or 12 pops/soda to enjoy in my room?

Yes.. No restrictions on soda pop, water, or other non-alcoholic beverages.

Where did you find this old thread?? It's all dusty and covered with cobwebs. :)

Edited by POA1