Cost for children

cruisinsb

I would love to be able to do this, and maybe at some pont in our lives we will, but since I am a teacher, the only times I can reall go away are winter break and spring break and I know that prices are at least triple during this time period. That being said, our upcoming cruise over winter break probably is one of the only weeks the rate for a third person in the cabin is so high. I was just wondering if anyone knew any other cruise lines that do discount for kids. Thank you to everyone for your help, I will be looking into your suggestions for our next trip. It will most likely be a different cruise line since (so far) it seems that princess doesn't cater to kids as well as some other cruise lines. Hopefully this will not be the case and it will be different once we are on board!

I've done Princess and Carnival with my young kids and they both were wonderful. Of course, the minimum age is 3 for Princess before they can officially participate, but on Princess a parent can go with their kids (over OR under 3) to the kids area and play/participate in arts & crafts, etc. and my girls are always treated like royalty all over Princess ships, so I think you're going to be happy with your experience. Our next cruise is on NCL because they were having a $199 3rd passenger sale, so I always just choose where we want to go and then find the lowest overall price since we're all going to have a great time no matter which ship we're on.

Best,

Mia

One of my first cruises was on the celebrity millenium, it was our first and last on celebrity. Back then I was a teenager and my brother and sister were even younger, and we found that they did not cater to kids at all. We felt that there were so many unnecessary restrictions and the staff seemed "put out" when we asked them to accomodate to our needs.

Interesting! Did "whoever" that actually booked this cruise for you and your younger siblings actually check out the available amenities for younger cruisers like yourself? Who, exactly, decided to book a Celebrity cruise for a teenager with two younger siblings way back when you were a teenager? When, exactly was your first and only Celebrity cruise? Celebrity has not traditionally been known for their Kids' Programs. Sorry - just not buying into your post.

Well actually.....kids can be expensive. I spend twice the amount on excursions as any couple. I spend lots in the gift shops. And how many parents can say "no" to a picture of their kids? We can easily spend $500 for pictures per cruise. How many adults without kids do that? ;)

Parents are suckers for their kids pictures. :D

Oh and add MSC "Kids sail free - 17 and under" to the list. I forgot about them in my post above.

OMG - PICTURES?!!! I am so excited about getting pictures done on our upcoming cruise, but I know that I won't be able to say NO if there are good ones to buy! ;) So, not only have I paid for myself, but three children (one 14 month old!) at full price (not even 3/4 rates because they're in their own cabin, but it was a great rate :D ) - and now I have to factor in pictures too! :p Anyway, can you tell me what the pictures run? Do they have packages? Thanks, Michele!!!

On the Celebrity Millennium the Waiter was horrible. Couldn't even get a glass of milk waiting for us on the table, in fact most nights couldn't even get a glass of milk without asking several times. One day I went up to the Buffet and brought down food for him my self. Not only was he not the first one served he was usually the last. We lodged complaint after complaint after complaint. Gotta say that several years ago on a Carnival ship when all the orders kept getting mixed up (eg: med well with onions medium rare w/o had the onions come on the wrong burger and something like this happened every meal) there the maitre' D stepped in to help so I was surprised on the Millenium. We were often the first table seated and in our section (3 different waiters) we were consistently the last ones served and the last ones out of there. Well our friends were as either my husband or myself had already left with our son.

That waiter did not get full tip for my husband or myself and nothing for my son. And we gave nothing to the maitre' D But we did hand out tips to various wait staff who did actually take care of us. Including those we only saw in the Buffet area.

That makes sense. I'm sure sorry to hear that your son (and you) were treated that way and that no one took care of your complaints. That's just wrong!

beachchick

I would love to be able to do this, and maybe at some pont in our lives we will, but since I am a teacher, the only times I can reall go away are winter break and spring break and I know that prices are at least triple during this time period.

Yes, we are lucky in that the school district we live in actually allows "One Week Family Vacation" during the school year. :) And it's excused.

But it would be different if I were a teacher.

I think that's all the cruise lines that discount for kids. Disney, NCL, MSC....oh and we forgot Costa.

When does your school district officially close for the summer? Maybe you can beat the rush on one end or the other? Either early June or late August?

OMG - PICTURES?!!! Anyway, can you tell me what the pictures run? Do they have packages? Thanks, Michele!!!

No packages on Royal Caribbean! I WISH. The 8x10's run about $20 each. And the smaller 5x7's (my mind is failing me) but I think $14.97.

They take pictures of the kids every chance they get. They know we are suckers. :p Get on the ship - pictures. Get off the ship in port - more pictures. Oh and then I bought an 8x10 album just to hold the pictures. Yep, sucker! :D

No packages on Royal Caribbean! I WISH. The 8x10's run about $20 each. And the smaller 5x7's (my mind is failing me) but I think $14.97.

They take pictures of the kids every chance they get. They know we are suckers. :p Get on the ship - pictures. Get off the ship in port - more pictures. Oh and then I bought an 8x10 album just to hold the pictures. Yep, sucker! :D

I can deal with this. No, it's not "cheap," but I just paid $59.95 per 8X10 and $37.95 per 5X7 (or 42.95 for 2 of the same! what a "steal"!) at a local photographer (yes, I'm crazy, but what can I say? They were pictures of MY KIDS! lol).

Thanks for posting the prices. :)

We actually did run into a picture special on our last Mariner cruise. It was for 4 5x7 pictures for a flat rate. Unfortunately, they had camera problems and had lost Labadee pictures and some dining room pictures so we only had 3 5x7s. I asked if we could have one of our 8x10s instead since they had so many problems and one guy said no but the second guy I asked said yes.:D I will see if I still have the flyer for it since I can't remember how much it cost since it was 2008. I do remember it was midweek so it was before the end of week picture rush.

If you are spending big bucks on your kids pictures, then I would suggest that you invest in a camera and take your own and/or invest in a good scanner, a good photo quality printer (which has six or seven colors - not the standard four colors) and good photo quality paper, and at least only buy one of each picture (then scan and print how many other copies you need). The cruise ship photos are not copyrighted.

OK, I looked through my stuff from that cruise and found some information. There is a daily strip of specials that we got each day. On the day one strip it says:

Photo Gallery

Discounted Photo Pacakages Limited Offer

For the first time ever, discounted photo packages are now available. Great savings guaranteed. Visit us and get yours today!

From Sunday through Tuesday only.

Day two says:

Time is Running Out!

Come by and buy your fully refundable, prepaid photo package. Choose a package that is best for you and save up to $70! Only valid until Tuesday.

Day three says:

Last Day for Photo Package

Save lots of money and get all the pictures you want by buying a fully refundable, prepaid photo package. This is the last day for this limited offer!

I didn't find the receipt for the package we purchased but I will see if I come across it today. I keep thinking $42.95 for some reason but I really am not sure. Whether this was an experiment that they tried and never did it again or a Mariner thing only, I am not sure. Michele has cruised since then and has not seen it so maybe no other ship had it.

I would just keep your eyes open for it and maybe you will luck out.:)

If you are spending big bucks on your kids pictures, then I would suggest that you invest in a camera and take your own and/or invest in a good scanner, a good photo quality printer (which has six or seven colors - not the standard four colors) and good photo quality paper, and at least only buy one of each picture (then scan and print how many other copies you need). The cruise ship photos are not copyrighted.

We own a great camera - and rarely use it. :p:rolleyes: It's too big to lug around when we travel, but I love having the option of having it, kwim? Anyway, we've gotten some great shots from it, but I prefer a somewhat local photographer that we use - she captures the most amazing moments.

Is there a copyright release with the cruise photos? If so, I can take them to a photo processor and have copied. :D

We actually did run into a picture special on our last Mariner cruise. It was for 4 5x7 pictures for a flat rate. Unfortunately, they had camera problems and had lost Labadee pictures and some dining room pictures so we only had 3 5x7s. I asked if we could have one of our 8x10s instead since they had so many problems and one guy said no but the second guy I asked said yes.:D I will see if I still have the flyer for it since I can't remember how much it cost since it was 2008. I do remember it was midweek so it was before the end of week picture rush.

Thanks so much for looking into the package info. We'll see soon enough if we are offered package pricing. Can't wait!!!

Is there a copyright release with the cruise photos? If so, I can take them to a photo processor and have copied. :D

Here's a link to the Royal Photo Copyright page. Fill it in, print and take with you to your local photo shop. We got plenty of copies of my kids pics this way and much less expensive! and yes, the photo shop did ask for the form.

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

We spend alot with kids too. The gift shop, DD had to have the stuffed mermaid, funship freddy, blow up cruiseship, build a bear at camp carnival, babysitting, candy, arcade games etc. Also the photos, family, kids by themselves etc. Id say the cruise line is getting their money from our kids!

OK, I looked through my stuff from that cruise and found some information. There is a daily strip of specials that we got each day. On the day one strip it says:

Photo Gallery

Discounted Photo Pacakages Limited Offer

For the first time ever, discounted photo packages are now available. Great savings guaranteed. Visit us and get yours today!

From Sunday through Tuesday only.

Day two says:

Time is Running Out!

Come by and buy your fully refundable, prepaid photo package. Choose a package that is best for you and save up to $70! Only valid until Tuesday.

Day three says:

Last Day for Photo Package

Save lots of money and get all the pictures you want by buying a fully refundable, prepaid photo package. This is the last day for this limited offer!

I didn't find the receipt for the package we purchased but I will see if I come across it today. I keep thinking $42.95 for some reason but I really am not sure. Whether this was an experiment that they tried and never did it again or a Mariner thing only, I am not sure. Michele has cruised since then and has not seen it so maybe no other ship had it.

I would just keep your eyes open for it and maybe you will luck out.:)

I did a little more digging and found the receipt for our package. I was really close, I got both the size of the pictures and the price wrong.:cool::o

We bought a package that included 4 6x8s for $29. We ended up with 3 6x8s and 1 8x10 due to them losing so many pictures because of memory card issues. They also had an 8x10 special so maybe that was where I got the other price from, I do not have the package form, unfortunately.

I own a media company. ;) So I have all of those things. I just like someone else to do the work for once. :D

Reallyitsmema - :eek: Figures!!!! Did you see the part that says "For the first time ever, discounted photo packages are now available."

Just my luck! :p

I own a media company. ;) So I have all of those things. I just like someone else to do the work for once. :D

Reallyitsmema - :eek: Figures!!!! Did you see the part that says "For the first time ever, discounted photo packages are now available."

Just my luck! :p

I wonder if it was a one time only thing that they lost too much money on or what because I have never seen anyone talk about it since then. Maybe they were testing it like they did my time dining on some ships. Was back on June 2008 so you would think they would have introduced it fleet wide if they were going to. I will look through my stuff again if I have time later. Should be packing to drive to PA tomorrow. Hope it isn't going to snow down there tomorrow.:eek::p

Interesting! Did "whoever" that actually booked this cruise for you and your younger siblings actually check out the available amenities for younger cruisers like yourself? Who, exactly, decided to book a Celebrity cruise for a teenager with two younger siblings way back when you were a teenager? When, exactly was your first and only Celebrity cruise? Celebrity has not traditionally been known for their Kids' Programs. Sorry - just not buying into your post.

You don't have to buy into it, I was just responding to a previous post about the same ship. Things may have changed since 1995, however, as a 16 year old I was not into the kids club, and there were not many other teenagers on the ship to hang out with. Now that we are more experienced cruisers, we are aware of the fact that celebrity is not known for their kids programs, which is why we have not sailed on that line again!

We own a great camera - and rarely use it. :p:rolleyes: It's too big to lug around when we travel, but I love having the option of having it, kwim? Anyway, we've gotten some great shots from it, but I prefer a somewhat local photographer that we use - she captures the most amazing moments.

I own a DSLR, but only take it when I can drive to the port. Even then, I still take my travel camera, a Canon A590IS, which can fit in my pocket. Get a small travel camera that you can easily carry. Eight 8x10s cost $160. You can get some very good pocket sized cameras for that price, and it only takes about 10 pictures to break even.

Each of the cruise lines will give you a copyright release. The next post after yours provided a link to the Royal Caribbean copyright release. Of course, if you have a scanner and printer, all you need is some good quality photo paper (about $1 per 8x10) and you don't even need the photo release (your own scanner will not ask for it).

Here's a link to the Royal Photo Copyright page. Fill it in, print and take with you to your local photo shop. We got plenty of copies of my kids pics this way and much less expensive! and yes, the photo shop did ask for the form.

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Thanks for the link!

I don't own (or work for!) a media company and I still like someone else to do the work for me!!! :D ;) lol

Just had to add- Holland America offers occassional deals on kids/ 3rd passenger. Depending on your cruise style, it may work for you. Typically very polite passengers and crew, I think a well mannered family would enjoy a cruise (although I do not imagined children gone wild would be tolerated).

Archived