SOLO LADIES please READ!!

zoncom

Just off 2 Celebrity cruises, first one solo. We at our singles table agreed not to talk, but I feel it is important to alert others. On first night our waiter(no names please), went around wth pen/paper to females only asking their cabin #. I remember an alert went off in my mind. I thought I declined but guy at table later said I responded with #. I recognized waiter from earlier cruises. Waiter with line 8 yrs. Went to Muranos by myself several nites later; next nite MaitreD comes by telling us our waiter had been called home by a family illness. (We were way South in Carib.). Guy at table says one of our female tablemates turned waiter in for calling 2 ladies asking to come to their cabins for sex & not to tell or he would be fired. Turned out both ladies turned him in. One lady mid 70s. Waiter probably 40s, movie star looks, head waiter material. Moral I guess is never give out your phone #. Celebrity kicked him off that day which I thought was the proper action and the classy way to handle it.

Just off 2 Celebrity cruises, first one solo. We at our singles table agreed not to talk, but I feel it is important to alert others. On first night our waiter(no names please), went around wth pen/paper to females only asking their cabin #. I remember an alert went off in my mind. I thought I declined but guy at table later said I responded with #. I recognized waiter from earlier cruises. Waiter with line 8 yrs. Went to Muranos by myself several nites later; next nite MaitreD comes by telling us our waiter had been called home by a family illness. (We were way South in Carib.). Guy at table says one of our female tablemates turned waiter in for calling 2 ladies asking to come to their cabins for sex & not to tell or he would be fired. Turned out both ladies turned him in. One lady mid 70s. Waiter probably 40s, movie star looks, head waiter material. Moral I guess is never give out your phone #. Celebrity kicked him off that day which I thought was the proper action and the classy way to handle it.

Hi,:) I have been sailing with Celebrity for almost 7 years now.

Your paragraph sort of runs together. I am trying ot understand the

situation. He asked the women for their cabin numbers? And they gave

it to him and then the waiter called those women?

I probably would have done the same thing as this is totally against policy,

besides being totally tacky (asking for the cabin numbers to begin

with).

I would not have given him my number to start with and after dinner I would have gone to the

Maitr'd and/or Restaurant Manager about this situation. I love how the waiter says not to say anything.

He knew he was in the wrong and did it anyway.

I am surprised though but I guess you get a bad apple:( in a normally

fabulous bunch:)...and you said he had worked for Celebrity for 8

years???:confused:....I am really surprised...they know better.

My first paragraph says I would have done the same thing....I want to be clear, I would have called someone about it...not given

him my cabin number.

This is not totally a "solo" problem. My husband and I were on a cruise and our one waiter was totally deficient in his service. We only went twice that week and the second time he questioned why we didn't come the other days. When we didn't give him a satisfactory answer, he asked for our cabin number and we promptly went after dinner to customer service and reported him. First of all, he didn't need our cabin number for any reason whatsoever and we considered it a threat from him. After the cruise, an RCCL representative called us at home to tell us the situation will NEVER happen again.

This is not totally a "solo" problem. My husband and I were on a cruise and our one waiter was totally deficient in his service. We only went twice that week and the second time he questioned why we didn't come the other days. When we didn't give him a satisfactory answer, he asked for our cabin number and we promptly went after dinner to customer service and reported him. First of all, he didn't need our cabin number for any reason whatsoever and we considered it a threat from him. After the cruise, an RCCL representative called us at home to tell us the situation will NEVER happen again.

P.S. No one should give out their cabin numbers to anyone, especially NOT on CC, for any reason!

Good advice. Thank you for sharing your experience, Zoncom.

My last couple of cruises, the waiters asked and wrote down everyone's cabin #s at their table. This happened at the end of the meal. I remembered thinking that it had something to do with tipping (anytime dining). I was wondering if they had your name whether they can determine your cabin number? Anyone know the answer?

Good advice. Thank you for sharing your experience, Zoncom.

My last couple of cruises, the waiters asked and wrote down everyone's cabin #s at their table. This happened at the end of the meal. I remembered thinking that it had something to do with tipping (anytime dining). I was wondering if they had your name whether they can determine your cabin number? Anyone know the answer?

Another good question. I only had that one incidence, but I still don't understand why they would need it for anything. That is sort of scarey really. I think I am going to inquire of several cruiselines and see the response and will come back here with the answers.

Another good question. I only had that one incidence, but I still don't understand why they would need it for anything. That is sort of scarey really. I think I am going to inquire of several cruiselines and see the response and will come back here with the answers.

They are going to say the wait staff has no reason to ask for your

cabin number.

I don't look at as scarey but that is just me. I won't be giving it out

is all and will let the Maitr'd know about it. I would say the particular

waiter is a flake:rolleyes:

In September Holland America also was asking for specific room numbers from our table and I certainly have had other lines do the same in my 30+ cruises. I always thought it was a way of keeping track for tipping automatically. How else could your tips go to the right waiter?

In September Holland America also was asking for specific room numbers from our table and I certainly have had other lines do the same in my 30+ cruises. I always thought it was a way of keeping track for tipping automatically. How else could your tips go to the right waiter?

That is what the envelope is for! Times apparently have changed since you started 30 cruises ago. I will not, under any circumstances, give out my cabin number. End of story.

Lois>>>I've had many flaky waiters, but also some great ones. This one in particular was beyond flaky! lol How is DAD??

I have sailed recently with auto tipping in place and my waiter never asked me for my cabin number.

He was so good and I did give him a bit extra on the last evening and I also let him know his regular tips were on my account. He

said he knew that, so management on board knows what cabins use the auto tipping and in turn the Restaurant management knows and informs

the wait staff.

Since the subject has been brought up, I want to relay something that happened to me on my Alaska cruise in May (HAL), although it has nothing to do with asking for my cabin number.

I always order room service every morning and this cruise was no exception. The same steward delivered my breakfast each morning and was very professional...he dropped off the tray, I tipped him and he left. One evening I ordered dinner from room service and this same steward delivered it. I mentioned his obviously long hours and all seemed normal when he left. About an hour later there was a knock at my door and there he was again, asking if he could pick up the tray. Kind of nice, I thought, because I'd had a hard time getting my tray picked up when I'd call and request it but this guy showed up all on his own. Anyway, I let him in and he started making small talk and wasn't making any moves toward getting the tray.

He wanted to see the pictures of my trip that I was downloading on my computer and just sort of stood around, asking where was I from, what did I like to do onboard, etc. Then, I got that creepy feeling that all of us get when we feel something isn't right. So, I quickly thanked him for getting the tray out of my room and showed him the door.

I've traveled solo (land and sea) a lot and am very self-confident, independent and savvy. And, I know when to listen to my gut instincts. Believe me, something just didn't feel right about this situation. I sure was glad after he left with the tray and the door was bolted again.

Who knows, maybe he was just reacting to my normally friendly demeanor and was lonely and wanted to chat? My gut told me that wasn't the case.

Ladies, please listen to that voice in your head and gut. Oprah says it's God talking to you and sending a warning....I agree.

Diane

I've traveled solo (land and sea) a lot and am very self-confident, independent and savvy. And, I know when to listen to my gut instincts. Believe me, something just didn't feel right about this situation. I sure was glad after he left with the tray and the door was bolted again.

Who knows, maybe he was just reacting to my normally friendly demeanor and was lonely and wanted to chat? My gut told me that wasn't the case.

I totally agree. Listen to your gut.

on princess, the waiters for dinner asked everyone their room number everynight. not just the ladies. They said it was policy. I think to keep track of anytime diners.

I didn't eat in the dining room on my last two cruises, but prior to that I've never had a waiter ask my cabin number in the dining room on Princess. I've had anytime dining since they started offering it and the maitre'd may have asked before seating, but never the waiter.

on princess, the waiters for dinner asked everyone their room number everynight. not just the ladies. They said it was policy. I think to keep track of anytime diners.

I think if my waiter said that I still wouldn't give him the room number. He could very well say that so it didn't look suspicious. He would gather all of the room numbers and discard those he didn't want.

Of course that is the paranoid part of me. :) But better safe than sorry especially since it won't hurt anything if you don't give him the number. If he has a problem with me not wanting to give my room number, he can take it up with management.

I'm sure wait staff all have access to cabin numbers for when they are charging for drinks at dining. I believe his intent was if you gave him your cabin no, it was in some twisted thinking that you were giving him consent to call you!!!!!

Lesson be careful who you give your cabin number to, this includes other passengers who want your telephone no, linked to cabin no on most ships.

Gwendy

Thanks for replies. The guy was a sex addict, plain & simple. He didnt hit on me because he knew I had been on X many times. One of ladies couldnt sleep for several nites. Left on second X cruise 4 nites after first with my BF. On ship, He awoke me from sleep saying I was having a nightmare, screaming get away from me. May have been connected to waiter incident??

Archived