Beware of Balcony!

somogirl

Thanks SomoGirl, I was on the ship watching you and I missed my excursion. Give me your address so that I can send you the $129.00 (cost of my excursion) bill for your inconsiderate behavior...... By the way, Nice Legs.:cool:

Thanks for making me laugh, that is what this is all about....a sense of humor.

I love the notion of sleeping with the balcony open but I do think it's the culprit for the semi functioning AC in a lot of cases. Oh well ...

I do remember a similar story when I woke up and we had already docked in Roatan, and I flung open the curtains in our deck 5ish oceanview room. I didn't realize I'd be exposing my undressed DH to the dock workers who were directly in front of us. I bet they've seen it all before!

We also love to leave the balcony door open. We actually take a bungee cord to help keep the door open. I am an early riser so I am always up before we get into ports. Plus you can push the curtains closed.
Why would you need a bungee cord? The door handle locks the door in position.

FYI, when you leave your balcony door open, it can affect the A/C for the cabins near you as your A/C attempts to cool off your cabin and draws from the others. How many times have we seen complaints about the A/C? Lots. My bet is that it's due to someone leaving their balcony door open without turning off the A/C.

Here's a photo of the request that's on every balcony door so it's not as if they don't warn you:

1609911528_Balconydooropenwarning.jpg.067d2538282233c61a34c1c5ef9a42f3.jpg

This sounds really familar. :cool:

That is because I put it in my review. Thanks again Colo. Cruiser for reassuring me that the Riviera deck would be a good choice, we loved it.

You were on the Riviera Deck? How was it? DH and I are going on the crown in January and have a balcony room on Riviera. I'm concerned with the possible noise from the Horizon court above us.

One night on my recent Star cruise, I was on my balcony talking with a friend at about 11:00 PM. Suddenly someone shouted "Can you keep it down over there?!" I was suprised that someone would have their door open while sleeping because of the A/C. Who was in the right here? Should I be able to use my balcony at night or should the other folks have the right to quiet with their door open?

Rick

It depends. How loud were you talking? If loud, they were right. If you were talking in a normal voice, you were right.

Once on a Celebrity cruise our OV cabin was at pier level. This ship (either the Zenith or Horizon) had a very large window. There were a large group of us on this cruise, and we'd all agreed to meet for breakfast early. So...I got up while it was still darkish, turned on the lights and opened the curtains, as I did every morning. We were scheduled to dock an hour after we actually did. After a luxurious shower (in a bathroom that two people could actually fit in), I emerged stark nekkid, with the towel wrapped around my head to dry my hair. Sat on my bed and began towel-drying my hair, only to look out of the window and see the leering faces of dock workers staring, cheering, and calling their buddies over. Well. I know for a fact that these dock workers were far more interested in looking at the pretty new Celebrity towels than at me! This incident became the joke of our cruising group, and I was called "towel head" before the term came into general use. When I retired, I was given a custom-made towel that said "Celebrity Cruiser". This had nothing to do with the cruise line! (I think this cruise was in 1993 or 1994.)

One night on my recent Star cruise, I was on my balcony talking with a friend at about 11:00 PM. Suddenly someone shouted "Can you keep it down over there?!" I was suprised that someone would have their door open while sleeping because of the A/C. Who was in the right here? Should I be able to use my balcony at night or should the other folks have the right to quiet with their door open?

Rick

that depends. were you smoking or not? :D

People do it all the time as evidenced by the responses on this thread. It's reasonable that at 11pm at night, whether someone has their door open or not, that if you're on your balcony, you are quiet and not talk in a loud voice. Technically, you were correct but even with the door closed, if people are too loud, it can disturb you. Everyone's "living" side-by-side for a few days (or longer) so it's important to respect others' rights.

You were on the Riviera Deck? How was it? DH and I are going on the crown in January and have a balcony room on Riviera. I'm concerned with the possible noise from the Horizon court above us.

I believe I answered your thread awhile back on this subject, we loved the Rivera Deck (R626). We didn't hear any noise and you are very close to everything.......adult pool, elevators,laundry room and one floor up to the horizon court.

Lesson learned....sleep with the door closed...

We recently got back from a wonderful cruise to the Caribbean. We like to sleep with our balcony door open so we can listen to the sound of the water, and the first view in the morning is the ocean or a beautiful island. One morning I woke up and thought I was in New York......there was a cruise ship parked directly across from us and people were sitting out on their decks, probably watching us sleeping.:eek:

1. Don't talk or laugh loudly after 10pm.

2. Turn off your balcony light when you're not using it!!!!

3. Don't chain-smoke constantly - give your neighbors a chance to use their balcony without the smell of smoke.

It's not too hard to be considerate of your neighbors. Many of us aren't used to such close-quarters so we all need to be aware of those around us and to "just be nice". ;)

3. Don't chain-smoke constantly - give your neighbors a chance to use their balcony without the smell of smoke.

It's not too hard to be considerate of your neighbors. Many of us aren't used to such close-quarters so we all need to be aware of those around us and to "just be nice". ;)

Should a non-smoker show the same consideration to a smoker with adjoining balcony cabins?

"It's not too hard to be considerate of your neighbors" Does this work both ways?

No idea which cruise this was on, but we experienced people using balconies as an intercom system.

One family was about 2-3 cabins to our left, another family 2-3 cabins to our right and up one level. One or the other would come out on the balcony and start yelling for the other family. People can be so self-centered can't they?

This thread could be used as an example of how to go from a balcony thread to a smoking thread in less than fifty posts. :(

It's still a valid question. Just responding to DrivesLikeMario.

On my two balcony cabins, I never left the door open overnight (way too hot!), never used a loud voice, and never had a problem with smokers. I'm just asking. But thanks anyway.

[

Rick

11pm?? What, they had to get up and go to work in the morning? Unless it was way after midnight, you were in the right and they were wrong. Sorry, but it's vacation, for crying out loud; people need to chill and realize that "bedtime" silence at 11pm is kind of a ridiculous expectation.

There are unwritten rules. People have a difficult time keeping up with the written suggestions/recommendations;) Going on vacation could be more work than it's worth.

At 10 pm I am usually waking up from my post dinner nap to start my night session til 2 am:D DH said if I happen to take a nap right after my second glass of wine, it's technically not called a nap:p

Too bad the cruise lines couldn't do somthing similar to the newer hotels. Once the door opens, the a/c goes off. But if more than one cabin is on the system, this wouldn't be possible. :cool:

We close our balcony door at night. Who knows what may fly in:eek:

..a flying fish of course!!!

Ciao for now!!!

Did you ever think of opening the door but shutting the curtains?

You may not have a view in the morning but either would anyone else! :eek: :D

Also, Marafun, this is your Roll Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=927445

If no one there has any excursion ideas go to the Ports of Call boards and look for each port you will be visiting for lots of really good, reliable excursion info .

Our practice is to leave the balcony door open about half way and draw the sheer curtain. We usually adjust the AC so that it isn't trying to compensate for the open door.

Regarding worrying about having the door open and piered up next to another ship in port, we never are in bed that late to worry about folks looking in.

Archived