snorkel access on catamarans

jnc411

Hello , I posted this on the ports of call boards also , but thinking that I might get good information on this board also am posting it here as well. We are planning on snorkeling at a few ports on our cruise in Feb. and I have read through all the information on the ships tours and I can't find the information I need. We need to know the type of entry and exit on the catamarans, my DH love to snorkel but has a real difficult time with the ladder type of entry and exit on the catamarans. The type with the steps leading in and out of the water work so much easier for him. We especially are interested in the Barbados turtle excursions. the Turks Cacios snorkel excursions perhaps St Thomas (we did St John last time) and may be St Vincent . If you have been on one of these excursion and know that information , I would really appreciate anything you can tell me. I always get good information on this board. Thank You for your help.

Cori

Hello , I posted this on the ports of call boards also , but thinking that I might get good information on this board also am posting it here as well. We are planning on snorkeling at a few ports on our cruise in Feb. and I have read through all the information on the ships tours and I can't find the information I need. We need to know the type of entry and exit on the catamarans, my DH love to snorkel but has a real difficult time with the ladder type of entry and exit on the catamarans. The type with the steps leading in and out of the water work so much easier for him. We especially are interested in the Barbados turtle excursions. the Turks Cacios snorkel excursions perhaps St Thomas (we did St John last time) and may be St Vincent . If you have been on one of these excursion and know that information , I would really appreciate anything you can tell me. I always get good information on this board. Thank You for your help.

Cori

Your comments are a bit confusing. Catamarans have slanted entry steps leading in and out of the water.

They are relatively easy to negotiate. Here's a pictorial example (its also a good choice for Barbados):

http://silvermoonbarbados.com/

It's the smaller and the "Pirate" boats that often have vertical entry ladders.

Even though they lead in and out of the water, reentry is often difficult. Here are example pix of both:

http://www.cruiseshipexcursions.net/

http://www.oasisdivers.com/gibbs.html

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/

Try visiting different snorkel operators' web sites. You'll usually find boat pix.

I have been on cats all over the Caribbean/Bahamas and it is a mix.

I agree here, we have seen both the walk down steps and ladders. You might want to check the ports of call board for particular excursions you are interested in. Just keep in mind, although they usually run the excursions through the same providers in each port, this can change without notice (we have had this happen in the past).

Thanks for all the comments and information , am checking on it. We have been on several snorkel excursions over the years and have had both steps and ladders on the cats, so may be we just got the few that don't have steps. But the ones with steps are so much easier to navigate. As for getting help from the crew , bless their hearts I know they would try , but my DH is 6'6 and the size of a football offensive/defensive lineman, with size 15 feet, so it would take a lot of them to get him out of the water, never use to be a problem but since his illness it is more difficult, he doesn't have the strength he use to. The snorkeling is fine , its the climbing that is the problem. But I do appreciate your information and I am going to use it. Also checking the ports board and the snorkel board (but most of them are serious snorkel/divers) we just are recreational. As always CC people help. Appreciate it.

Cori

Wish we could give you a better answer, but the problem is the boat style may change. We've been on the Barbados Turtle / Wreck / Beach tour twice and once it was a nice dive boat and the next time it was a speedboat. Also we just had an experience (in Cabo San Lucas) with a sailing catamaran that had steps leading into the water but a long ladder on the opposite end of the boat (by the webbing) needed to get out of the water.

So read the excursion text carefully, then look at websites.

oops! I misspoke. I meant to say ladder, not steps in Roatan.They angled toward the boat and it was difficult to get in. You may want to check with the shore excursion desk once you are on board.

Thanks < I think we will book the excursions then check once we are onboard to see if they know, it just would be nice if the excursion information on the Princess site had a little note " steps access" or "ladder access".

Thanks again

Cori

Thanks < I think we will book the excursions then check once we are onboard to see if they know, it just would be nice if the excursion information on the Princess site had a little note " steps access" or "ladder access".

Thanks again

Cori

The people at the shorex desk won't have a clue. You'll need to do the research before leaving.

You don't have to take pot luck. You can insure you'll get what you need is by communicating and booking with independent operators.

There are a slew of them at St Thomas and Barbados.

The people at the shorex desk won't have a clue. You'll need to do the research before leaving.

You don't have to take pot luck. You can insure you'll get what you need is by communicating and booking with independent operators.

There are a slew of them at St Thomas and Barbados.

Thanks , I will check that out. Appreciate your help.

Cori

Archived