What we should look to buy

CruisingSoon88

We are leaving to go on the Valor Western Caribbean two weeks from today.:D I have all of our excursions set, but I was just wondering if there were any "don't miss" shopping items at each port. You know like its really cheap to buy rum here or look for vanilla there. I'm not that interested in jewelry or clothes other than t-shirts. We will be stopping in Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, and Isla Roatan. Also, if you know of a good store to finds these items that would be great. Thanks for your help!

We are leaving to go on the Valor Western Caribbean two weeks from today.:D I have all of our excursions set, but I was just wondering if there were any "don't miss" shopping items at each port. You know like its really cheap to buy rum here or look for vanilla there. I'm not that interested in jewelry or clothes other than t-shirts. We will be stopping in Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, and Isla Roatan. Also, if you know of a good store to finds these items that would be great. Thanks for your help!

I'm not a shopper or a "souvenier" person and find booze too difficult to bring home with all the airline/TSA restrictions.

I have always looked for small watercolors or oils done by local artists. Usually no larger than 6x6". I find them in the smaller stores and sometimes can buy from the artist directly if there is an outdoor venue.

I have these lovely little pieces of art all over my house and everytime I look at them, I recall where it was purchased and what a great time I had.

This is also what I bring home as gifts for family. The prices are usually just great and I've never paid more than about 20-25.00 for one.....

Vanilla was dirt cheap in Cozumel..and oh yes, there is a difference compared to what we get here! 'Los Cinqo Soles' is a nice shop to browse thru..you can get it there. Actually there are several shops where you will find some interesting gift items..hand painted tequila glasses, vases, margarita and martini glasses. One guy made a friendship bracelet with our daughters name in about 3 minutes using aida floss and a strip of plastic... her name is uniquely spelled, so it is a treasured gift for her! I like to purchase Christmas ornaments made by local artisans...lots to choose from there!!!

I am not a jewelry person either, but recently I traveled with a friend that is and I ended up buying a Caymanite pendant that I absolutely love. It is unique to the Cayman Islands, and if I recall correctly I paid around $30 for it and I wear it daily. All I remember is that I bought it upstairs in the outlet section of a jewelry store. I wish I could remember the name of it for you.

Oh, I just checked and I still have the box and the bag! It was Island Companies Limited and here is the description of Caymanite that was in the box: "Caymanite is a multi-layered semi-precious gemstone found only in the Cayman Islands. Geologists believe it was formed between sixteen and twenty-five million years ago, during the Oligocene-Miocene epoch. The various colors result from different metals. Black from manganese, red from iron, blue and green from copper, and so on. This polished piece of the island was crafted in the workshop of Dr. JOSEPH JACKMAN, a world renowned craftsman residing in Cayman Islands."

In Cozumel several years ago, my boys each got a small hand carved chess set that they still treasure.

I also like to pick up calendars from the islands. I especially appreciate them in the dead of winter - like now!

I bought some beautiful carved items in Isla Roatan. They were made from mahogany. Very beautiful.

I agree with you Sherry. Belize and Roatan have some beautiful wooden bowls and carvings. I also bought some beautiful pottery made by Central American artisans in Roatan. There was a store called Yaba Ding Ding which was in Coxen Hole [not sure if it's still there now] that had the local pottery and wooden items. Directly across from that store is a locally owned store that is full of woodwork and other souveniers. They have the best prices and selection.

Vanilla was dirt cheap in Cozumel..and oh yes, there is a difference compared to what we get here! 'Los Cinqo Soles' is a nice shop to browse thru..you can get it there. Actually there are several shops where you will find some interesting gift items..hand painted tequila glasses, vases, margarita and martini glasses. One guy made a friendship bracelet with our daughters name in about 3 minutes using aida floss and a strip of plastic... her name is uniquely spelled, so it is a treasured gift for her! I like to purchase Christmas ornaments made by local artisans...lots to choose from there!!!

It is different because it's not often not real vanilla. Much of what is being sold as "real" vanilla is not. It's imitation vanilla that's had coumarin, which is an extract of the tonka bean, added to it to enhance the flavor. The biggest problem with this is that coumarin is an anti-coagulant, which means it can prevent your blood from clotting.

Here is the FDA warning about it.

Be careful with what you are buying and how much you are using.

I agree, Los Cinco Soles is probably the best place to shop in Cozumel. On our first trip there, we spent hours going from store to store, and then we finally ended up at Cinco Soles. They seemed to have everything there that I was looking for. They have a website with photos, map/directions, etc. http://www.loscincosoles.com/home.htm

If you like to eat the local food, I highly recommend La Choza in Cozumel.

It's in San Miguel so you can walk to it. They used to have a website, but I can't find it now. Everytime I go there I buy their sauce that they serve with chips. I don't know what it's called, but it's very popular and they sell it at the front counter (it's yellow), but it's not hot sauce. I bring a couple bottles back home with me every time I go. Their food is awesome as well, especially the guacamole. The best I've ever had.

I also buy local prints from all the ports I go to. I'm still missing a few tho. I never could find one in Grand Cayman, but didn't have enough time to shop there. I want a print of Rum Point (Cayman). And, of course, I always buy a silly refrigerator magnet at each port.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I'm going to print this thread so I can remember to look for some of the things and stores that you suggested. Isn't it funny how we all collect different souvenirs for our trips. DH brings me snow globes for trips that he has to take without me (business) and we collect shot glasses for our trips together. Seeing your ideas makes me wish that we had thought of something a little more original. :rolleyes:

You won't find any "bargains" in GC--very expensive!

Amen....

however, if someone is ready to buy that Rolex you have always wanted...

Kirk's in Grand Cayman is the place to do it.

Also, if someone is into "antique coins"...the Island Market has a great selection (but you better know your stuff or you will pay to much).

Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I'm going to print this thread so I can remember to look for some of the things and stores that you suggested. Isn't it funny how we all collect different souvenirs for our trips. DH brings me snow globes for trips that he has to take without me (business) and we collect shot glasses for our trips together. Seeing your ideas makes me wish that we had thought of something a little more original. :rolleyes:

We got our DD a 'Caribbean snowglobe' on our trip! She loves them, too.

BTW..

CC'ers think they're 'ships on a stick'.... They're wrong! :)

Ah, the memories....!

We sailed the Valor on 11/29/09. We did the Best of Roatan with Victor Bodden and our awesome driver, Anna, took us to a grocery store. We purchased real vanilla...does not contain coumarin. It was 1/4 the price of the ones at souvenior shops we visited. They sold the identical item.

We collect the currency to display in our scrapbook. Again in Roatan, the lady at the grocery store exchanged $1 US for a $10, $5. $1's and coins. The rate was 1 us = 18.80 honduran. At a souvenior shop they were selling a $1 bill and 2 coins for $4 US dollars!!! Anna told us that coins really were worthless and reached into her purse and gave us what she had. Thankful, we gave her a few dollars on top of a generous tip for a wonderful excursion!

I agree with you Sherry. Belize and Roatan have some beautiful wooden bowls and carvings. I also bought some beautiful pottery made by Central American artisans in Roatan. There was a store called Yaba Ding Ding which was in Coxen Hole [not sure if it's still there now] that had the local pottery and wooden items. Directly across from that store is a locally owned store that is full of woodwork and other souveniers. They have the best prices and selection.

I too bought a wonderful carved elephant head in Belize. It was from wood that had been "chewed" by bugs completely through, and dropped in water. I forgot the name of the wood. It is just beautiful though.

I like to look for art work by local artists. Nothing too big, lots of great carved onyx in Mexico(probably from China LOL). I will definetly look for carved wood in Roatan.

I bought a great water color when I was down in ST. Augustine once, unfortunely I left it with my ex husband when I moved out. Never found the artist again. Too bad.

In Roatan there is a shop where artisans carve shells, it is called Scrimshaw and it is some of the best work you will ever see. It is not cheap, but if you want something special it is where to go. You can get a cab to take to and from for free, just a tip. Only about 10 minutes from the ship. I think if you run a google search you can find 411. I got a pendant of a Myan warrior profile that I really like. Got my Mom a little 3 D rose that was cased in gold for around $40. Have fun. Lydia of Ohio

Archived