Weather warning alerts

RCCL site has the following posted this morning:

Weather Update

December 20, 2009 4:30 a.m. E.S.T

s.gif

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitoring the inclement weather in much of the East Coast, which is impacting travel in the region. Royal Caribbean will delay the departure time for the following sailings:

Adventure of the Seas will depart San Juan, Puerto Rico one hour later than originally scheduled. All guests should be onboard by 8:30 p.m. for a 9:30 p.m. departure.

Explorer of the Seas will depart Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey two hours later than originally scheduled. All guests should be onboard by 5:00 p.m. for a 6:00 p.m. departure.

Freedom of the Seas will depart Port Canaveral one hour later than originally scheduled. All guests should be onboard by 4:30 p.m. for a 5:30 p.m. departure.

Independence of the Seas will depart Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida one hour later than originally scheduled. All guests should be onboard by 5:00 p.m. for a 6:00 p.m. departure. Liberty of the Seas will depart Miami, Florida one hour later than originally scheduled. All guests should be onboard by 6:00 p.m. for a 7:00 p.m. departure.

The delayed departures will not impact the scheduled itinerary. At this time, all other Royal Caribbean ships are scheduled to depart as planned.

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information if there are any changes.

My guess is they are delaying the departures to allow guest who are flying in more time to make it. Many passengers will experience flight delays into the Florida area.

Ahhh, thank you. That should have clicked with me since we missed a flight to Reno from Denver last week by 10 minutes. Our flight from Orlando was an hour and a half late leaving due to snow storms in Chicago.

My husband and I talked about how stressful it must be for people flying in for cruises.

Kathy

Ahhh, thank you. That should have clicked with me since we missed a flight to Reno from Denver last week by 10 minutes. Our flight from Orlando was an hour and a half late leaving due to snow storms in Chicago.

My husband and I talked about how stressful it must be for people flying in for cruises.

Kathy

Being Northeast residents DW always insists on flying in to port of

embarkation the day before to eliminate the worry of missing the ship

This means flying out on Friday evening after work for a Saturday departure or Saturday morning for a Sunday departure. It costs more

but it's worth the relaxation.

Being Northeast residents DW always insists on flying in to port of

embarkation the day before to eliminate the worry of missing the ship

This means flying out on Friday evening after work for a Saturday departure or Saturday morning for a Sunday departure. It costs more

but it's worth the relaxation.

Unless of course, like this weekend, the storm hits on Saturday and you are due to sail on Sunday. Unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn't care about our cruise or flight schedules. Booking flights for the day before your cruise will reduce the worry but won't necessarily eliminate it. Good Travel Insurance will go a long way in eliminating the worry.:)

We got caught on the 19th when the blizzards hit the northeast, made it to Philadelphia only to be diverted to Charlotte as the Philadelphia airport closed. When the plane landed we were told the lines were four hours long at least to book new flights so we got off the plane and immediately started calling hotels and got lucky on the third try with Holiday Inn near the airport, which had a shuttle going back and forth to the airport. They only had a few rooms left. I passed this info on to some other passengers on our plane and we met up at the bar and continued the party. US Airways provided us with hotel discount coupons and a special phone number for rebooking. We were in our room within 45 minutes of landing and had new flights booked an hour later. Excellent handling of the situation by the airline. Got home 24 hours late but had a great time, no hassles.

Unless of course, like this weekend, the storm hits on Saturday and you are due to sail on Sunday. Unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn't care about our cruise or flight schedules. Booking flights for the day before your cruise will reduce the worry but won't necessarily eliminate it. Good Travel Insurance will go a long way in eliminating the worry.:)

Exactly why I bought travel insurance for my January 2 cruise. The weather was always a concern but that storm last week made me nervous. The news stations were saying Sunday that some travelers would be delayed until Thursday. Flying in a day early means squat at that point. :cool:

Archived