Before you buy a dam mug.....

Imsulin.....

:) Those who are gasping at the 'dam' need to learn how to spell. :D

As long as you aren't wearing 'damn', what are they all nutty about?

But I certainly know what you mean!

I think those t-shirts/caps etc are funny and we have a few ourselves. :)

Hear ya! (I think our state public education system is rated #48 out of 50???) It's more about football than spelling! I love my DAM SHIPS T-shirt! (Hup onn. Hup too. Hup tree)

(Now I'm REALLY gonna get it!)

Well, I don't have the mugs, but I do have some tiles and by beloved "DAM SHIPS" T-shirt (which has held up well through many washings!)

My R-dam mug from winning "one hit wonder" trivia earlier this month on the Ryndam has made it through a few dishwasher washings so far with no ill effects.

My DAM SHIPS shirt however (that I bought and paid for!) was a "total wash" after a couple trips in the machine. The blue turned a weird pinky-orange in many spots around the seams... I almost thought it looked like it had been bleached but I don't even have any in the house... very disappointed.

My "dam good cook" apron is still looking good and always gets a laugh.

Those 'dam' mugs were the object of ridicule by most of us playing team trivia, when the staff member mentioned them as prizes. Some people had so many that they just gave them to anyone for the asking.

That said, I still treasure my 'collection' from the Ryndam, Rotterdam, Noordam, and Maasdam.:)

are probably too stupid to know how to spell.:rolleyes:

Have they added the Eurodam to the shirts yet?

The "dam ships" shirt I bought on the Eurodam in January 2008 does list the Eurodam (I just double checked.) Maybe shirts on other ships haven't gotten updated, but the E-dam has itself listed on its shirts.

• 2 weeks later...
Donna, I have several R mugs. Email me and I will send one to you. I tried your link to email you but it wouldn't work for some reason.

Oh My Gosh! She really DID it! I am now the proud owner of an "R" Mug, and am absolutely thrilled. Thank you, Trisha, from the bottom of my heart! CC folks can be amazing, and YOU are right up there!

We had this same thing happen with an Oosterdam shot glass we bought - all the markings totally washed off the first time it hit water. Total rip-off. We are now in the endless loop of getting palmed off from one entity to the next.

First we contacted the purveyor who palmed us off to ship relations who then palmed us back to the ship purveyor. A lot of bother for a $5 item. I would say this is a total breakdown in their pursuit of "excellence" theme.

HAL licenses their logos to this manufacturer. They remain on the top of the food chain if they sell defective logo goods. It is their job to take care of this once they have been notified; not mine.

Best response now is to boycott buying any HAL logo goods and let them know why.

BTW: we bought two other shot glasses on other trips with the Maasdam and Rotterdam logos and they are fine. Those were class objects - etched glass and lovely printing. This Oosterdam one was entirely different. Plain glass and really cheesy ship outline that was blurred but at least it had the name of thei ship on it ---- until the first time it got washed by hand with regular dish detergent. Now it is just a cheeesy, plain glass shot glass that cost $5!!!

The warning here is the shops have changed manufacturers, so it is buyer beware with any new purchases. Best to at least scratch this stuff with your finger nail or a wet napkin first to see what happens BEFORE you hand them your money.

Outrageous? Really?

Yes, when HAL puts its name on something this defective and intended to be a specific HAL souvenir, this material defectiveness leaves a very bad taste as a memory.

I am glad they at least still serve real butter. But watch out in the gift shop from now on. They are now selling margarine as butter, if you are not aware.

Better to not sell any HAL souvenirs if all they do is leave you mad at them. Damn, it.:mad:

I'm sorry about your total disappointment, SwissMyst - but I thought you vented all that frustration on your other thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1109651 This thread has turned into a relatively cheerful one.

The frustration grows as we just got the latest response from HAL to dump us back on the ship shop people. They washed their hands of this completely. They really should not have.

So it is important that this thread not be too cheerful and mislead people that past experiences are no longer operational now that several of us have had the exact same problems, yet with different goods. Not good.

Be warned when you NOW look at HAL logo products in the ship shops. Many of them are defective and it looks like you will get no easy satisfaction for your disappointment later with HAL logo goods.

Is this really the last memory HAL wants to leave for us? Naw. They need to shape up on this.

Archived