RCI gave us free upgrade from Freedom to Oasis

kahliasmom

Mom got a call from RCI today offering her and dad, my daughter and myself a free upgrade to the Oasis for 12/26/09 from the Freedom of the Seas 12/27/09. I had an interior room and now my daughter and I have a balcony room next to mom and dad on the twelve floor overlooking the boardwalk. We also recieved ship board credit. I guess they have empty rooms they want to fill? Are the higher prices keeping people away?

My eight year old has been dying to go on this ship so I was excited to receive this offer. I haven't told her about it. Want to keep it a surprise for as long as possible. I must admit though that I am not that excited about the itinerary. After what happened in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, I really don't want to go there. I have been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen before.

Don't mean to sound unappreciative though. I do appreciate the opportunity to see this beautiful new ship, especially for my daughter.

Strange that they did the so close to the cruise but I know that cruise lines do sometimes overbook and ask guests to take another date or ship. Not sure if this is the case. Seems odd this close to the sail date.

Edit to say that I just went and checked the 27th sail date for the Freedom and it's showing no cabins available. Not sure how many are available on the Oasis but with the prices they're asking for on the 26th sailing, not sure that they're trying to sell many cabins.

I can't believe either ship was "overbooked" - I am sure that the prices on OASIS are keeping people away......we booked OASIS for Sept 2011 and got a great price for an interior room on the 11th deck -$651 per person not including taxes and fees - book during the WOW sale and go through an agent that gives you amenities (or stateroom credit).

Mom got a call from RCI today offering her and dad, my daughter and myself a free upgrade to the Oasis for 12/26/09 from the Freedom of the Seas 12/27/09. I had an interior room and now my daughter and I have a balcony room next to mom and dad on the twelve floor overlooking the boardwalk. We also recieved ship board credit. I guess they have empty rooms they want to fill? Are the higher prices keeping people away?

My eight year old has been dying to go on this ship so I was excited to receive this offer. I haven't told her about it. Want to keep it a surprise for as long as possible. I must admit though that I am not that excited about the itinerary. After what happened in the Bahamas a few weeks ago, I really don't want to go there. I have been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen before.

Don't mean to sound unappreciative though. I do appreciate the opportunity to see this beautiful new ship, especially for my daughter.

Holy Almost Batman- you hit the jackpot!!!!! Congratulations to you and you family:) Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy---and know you are the envy of many that look forward to sailing on Oasis;)

]I can't believe either ship was "overbooked[/color]" - I am sure that the prices on OASIS are keeping people away......we booked OASIS for Sept 2011 and got a great price for an interior room on the 11th deck -$651 per person not including taxes and fees - book during the WOW sale and go through an agent that gives you amenities (or stateroom credit).

RCI just does not call up a guest and offer to move them to another ship plus give them an OBC just to put passengers on a ship. They needed those cabins for someone. Again, this is not something new. And as for filling up the ship, our cruise on 1/16 is almost full.

Congratulations on your 'upgrade' :D

Did RCCL include transfer costs?....because doesnt the Freedom go from Port Canaveral? I would guess at this late stage you would have arranged your transport to get to PC and as Oasis goes from Port Everglades I would guess you will need to rearrange your transport to get to the ship?

Congratulations on your 'upgrade' :D

Did RCCL include transfer costs?....because doesnt the Freedom go from Port Canaveral? I would guess at this late stage you would have arranged your transport to get to PC and as Oasis goes from Port Everglades I would guess you will need to rearrange your transport to get to the ship?

Mom and dad are in Fl, an hour north of Tampa. I'm leaving tommorrow to drive to Fl. I was just thinking, before the upgrade that I should have flown but now I'm glad I didn't. I am getting into FL on 12/25. We were driving to Port Canaveral on the 27th, now we'll just drive to Fort Lauderdale on the 26th instead. To go on the Oasis, we are flexible.

Someone else posted that they probably needed rooms for somebody. Interesting. My room was an interior cabin in the back of the ship. I don't think anybody would have wanted that. But mom and dad, did have a balcony on the 7th floor. Thanks for all the well wishes. And yes, I think I am going to work up the courage to try the zip line. Pretty excited here.

Mom and dad are in Fl, an hour north of Tampa. I'm leaving tommorrow to drive to Fl. I was just thinking, before the upgrade that I should have flown but now I'm glad I didn't. I am getting into FL on 12/25. We were driving to Port Canaveral on the 27th, now we'll just drive to Fort Lauderdale on the 26th instead. To go on the Oasis, we are flexible.

Someone else posted that they probably needed rooms for somebody. Interesting. My room was an interior cabin in the back of the ship. I don't think anybody would have wanted that. But mom and dad, did have a balcony on the 7th floor. Thanks for all the well wishes. And yes, I think I am going to work up the courage to try the zip line. Pretty excited here.

What wonderful serendipity! Enjoy this spectacular new ship...........and report here after your cruise!

What wonderful serendipity! Enjoy this spectacular new ship...........and report here after your cruise!

Will do. :)

Btw, I had just gone over to the meet and mingle thread for the Freedom sailing I was to go on and someone else from Fl had the same offer, but they declined. The person was told that the Freedom was overbooked and was asked if they would like to go on the Oasis instead.

Will do. :)

Btw, I had just gone over to the meet and mingle thread for the Freedom sailing I was to go on and someone else from Fl had the same offer, but they declined. The person was told that the Freedom was overbooked and was asked if they would like to go on the Oasis instead.

Just what I thought. :)

Hope the OP enjoys the Oasis. We look forward to our cruise in a few weeks.

I was just contemplating when would I turn an upgrade down? I have the balcony room I want on my next cruise to the destination I want. Would I turn down a great upgrade on the grounds that the destination is different or the room to the same destination is in a higher category?

Would dearly like the opportunity to have this dilemma.

OP have an amazing time. Over here, in a cold and icy UK reading everyone's cruise reviews and amazing tales I am tinged with more than a touch of jealousy.

Archived