Enchantment vs Larger Ships

We've cruised on the Liberty and Explorer and are leaving on Sunday on Freedom. We really love these ships, and especially enjoy the Royal Promenade (we spend too much time on the pizza and cookies!). We've booked Enchantment for next summer, but are having second thoughts because of the age and size of the ship. We thought we'd try something different, and like being able to leave out of Baltimore, which is just 3 hours from us. Have any of you been on it lately, and what did you think? Will we miss the Cafe Promenade/Sorrento's, or is there anything comparable? Is the ship in good shape? Will there still be lots of other teens for our kids? Thanks, and Happy Holidays! :)

Only you will know what you would miss. I wouldn't worry about the age of the ship since RCCL maintains its fleet in excellent condition. Will you miss the Royal Promenade and ice shows? That's a question only you can answer.

Keep in mind that Enchantment is not just another Vision Class ship. With the stretch they did a couple of years ago, they upgraded the pool deck, and added a Chops Grill as well as some room upgrades in the new section. It is really a beutifull ship.

Mike and Lori

Only you will know what you would miss. I wouldn't worry about the age of the ship since RCCL maintains its fleet in excellent condition. Will you miss the Royal Promenade and ice shows? That's a question only you can answer.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I don't care about the ice shows, but we do like the Royal Promenade, and what I'm really asking is whether or not the Centrum is at all comparable.

In my opinion, enchantment is one of the best 'little' ships that royal has. the other poster was right about the stretch. Enchantment has the largest Chops in the fleet! The pool deck is much nicer now, as well as other areas being upgraded.

I've been on enchantment once before the stretch and once after. The only complaint I have about enchantment is that, because it is smaller, I have been seasick on it whereas I haven't ever been seasick on voyager class or higher. I still prefer voyager/freedom class over all others, though. Here are some perks/disadvantages I can think of on enchantment.

There are lots of great about enchantment (including more personal service, i think) but here are some of the things I miss from the bigger ships:

-windjammer (the windjammer on enchantment is small)

-promenade rooms and promenade

-larger rooms (overall, enchantment rooms are smaller)

-less movement on the ship (you can really feel enchantment move in rough waters)

-cafe promenade (none on enchantment)

-tv booking system (last time, enchantment was still pencil and paper for booking excursions)

I can not think of anyone who has complained about Enchantment being old or small. I sailed on her this past summer, and there are no complaints from me. Well one thing I think I noticed was that it was tougher to get seats in the theater. I attribute this to the fact that they added rooms and passenger capacity, but I don't think they expanded the theater. So it seemed a little more crowded in there. But just about everything else was expanded with the stretch, so there is plenty of room at the pool and in the lounges. I love the vision and radience ships. Most people who "size down" from the larger classes are pleasantly surprised. I'm sure you'll love it.

Here's another vote for Enchantment. We have sailed on her both pre- and post-stretch, most recently two years ago. She is lovely, in great shape, and we are planning on sailing again on Enchantment when she homeports in Baltimore next year.

I am not a big fan of the ships with Royal Promenades, don't care about ice rinks, or flow-riders. I love a ship that LOOKS like a ship and Enchantment does not disappoint. Happy sailing!

Karen

I have been on the Vision of the Seas, another vision class ship of RCI, and it suprises me just as much as a Voyager class ship. It gives you a different type of feeling than a Voyager class ship. There is still a lot to do, and you will have choices throughout your cruise. But you will have to decide for yourself.

Wife and I are Diamond, and of all the RCL Cruises, we still feel Enchantment was the most enjoyable. Because of it's smaller size, it is definitley more personal with staff and other guests.

However, we now cruise without kids, so for those with young ones I am not sure. We like the more laid back atmosphere.

Enchantment was nice,though we were bored as heck at night...Boleros is the nicest lounge on there.. did not like the Viking Crown Lounge,which doubled as a nightclub..missed the RP and there was no Pub,much to my dissappointment... Adult pool area much smaller..shopping area nice...theater for production shows pretty small...I found it like going from a Hyatt (Freedom ships) to a Holiday Inn re-furbished....I would only do the Navigator 4-5 nighter again...Chops was very nice..after the Freedom MDR,this one was so-so....I like options..also cabins MUCH smaller on EOS...our Jr. Suite was 245 sq. ft + 58 sq ft. balcony vs. Freedom 317 sq.ft and 101 balcony-big difference...)..and there was alot of rust on the balcony....good service and overall,a decent ship,but if you expect anything close to the Liberty,you will be dissappointed-expect the Holiday Inn,or AT best a Sheraton......

Big Al

We've cruised on the Liberty and Explorer and are leaving on Sunday on Freedom. We really love these ships, and especially enjoy the Royal Promenade (we spend too much time on the pizza and cookies!). We've booked Enchantment for next summer, but are having second thoughts because of the age and size of the ship. We thought we'd try something different, and like being able to leave out of Baltimore, which is just 3 hours from us. Have any of you been on it lately, and what did you think? Will we miss the Cafe Promenade/Sorrento's, or is there anything comparable? Is the ship in good shape? Will there still be lots of other teens for our kids? Thanks, and Happy Holidays! :)

We're cruising with you on Sunday!! Haven't cruised on the Enchantment but did do a Christmas Cruise on the Grandeur, which is the same as the Enchantment pre stretch. Had a great cruise on her and even though she hasn't got all the bells and whistles of the Voyager/Freedom class, would still cruise her again.

We did an EN B2B in the Fall of 2008. She, and her crew, were excellent. No, she can't compare with Liberty. She was never meant to.

An outstanding crew and dining staff. May we suggest that the service, dining and otherwise, was better than what we had on Oasis two weeks ago.

Guest Relations manager Rosa Torres on EN was at the top of her game when we did our B2B on EN. Rosa, Felice Navidad!

Without a doubt, book EN.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

The only RCI ship we've been on is the EOS. We thought she was a beautiful ship, the size was nice. We have no kids with us though and enjoy a laid back cruise. We're on the Independence of the Seas in February and are having the opposite concerns that you have. Will the IOS be too large, seem to enclosed, etc. But with all that it has going on, we shouldn't be bored for sure.

I think the EOS is very nice and would sail her again with the right itinerary.

I have more pictures :-) I love seeing other people's pics posted on the boards, so, I'll put some of mine up.

Cruise2007%20038.jpg

The Rock Wall...

Cruise2007%20044.jpg

The Theater

Cruise2007%20065.jpg

Another atrium view

Cruise2007%20069.jpg

Inside the Dining room.

keywestandcozumel%20014.jpg

Since It's Christmas, I thought this may be appropriate. this was taken in 2004, before the stretch. We went on a cruise the week before Christmas.

Hey!

I've sailed on Enchantment twice (Jan. 08 and Aug. 09) and both sails were awesome! I've been on 7 cruises and the Enchantment is my favorite ship. I've been on the Navigator and it was great but the Enchantment has a more cozy feel since it's smaller. I feel like the crew got to know me and my family more and would recognize us all over the ship since there weren't as many people.

My friends are thinking about booking the Enchantment of the Seas

the only RCCL ship I have been on is Explorer and they are asking me advice (LOL)

anyway one main question:

Does the Enchantment's Solarium pool have steps into it or ladder only?

Both

I cruised on Enchantment in November with my 12 and 13 year olds. We loved it. I can't say enough good things about the ship and about our vacation. The crew were outstanding and we thought the ship was beautiful, in really great shape for her age.

My kids absolutely loved the teen program and Sarah, who ran the program was wonderful. My daughter couldn't stop raving about her. There weren't a lot of kids when we sailed, probably because of the time of year, but they met a lot of people and had a fantastic time.

I guess it would have been nice to have the Cafe Promenade. After the activities ended in the evening, the kids often wanted a snack. The hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza were okay, but after a while it might have been nice to have a bit more variety for our late night snacks.

We truly had a wonderful vacation and I would sail Enchantment again in a heartbeat.

Archived