Piraeus to Athens step by step Please, Thanks

happy_travellers

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi from the port to the Platka? Also, what do the guides charge at the Acropolis? We hired a guide their 10 years ago. Thanks

Thinking of taking a taxi to Temple of Zeus, walk up to the Acropolis. Then to the roman Forum and Tower of Winds, Hadrians Library. Maybe the Angora and walk to the plaka for lunch. Is this do-able? Karen

Thinking of taking a taxi to Temple of Zeus, walk up to the Acropolis. Then to the roman Forum and Tower of Winds, Hadrians Library. Maybe the Angora and walk to the plaka for lunch. Is this do-able? Karen

I think it sounds very doable, although to avoid backtracking you might consider the following:

Take the Metro from Piraeus directly to Monasteriki stop. (Or if taking a taxi, take it directly to the Greek agora.) Do the Greek agora and Roman forum (including Tower of Winds and Hadrians Library) first. Walk up the Acropolis from this side (yes there are more steps but it's really not that bad). Then walk down toward the Acropolis museum side. This will put you close to the Temple of Zeus and a short walk from the Plaka.

I think it sounds very doable, although to avoid backtracking you might consider the following:

Take the Metro from Piraeus directly to Monasteriki stop. (Or if taking a taxi, take it directly to the Greek agora.) Do the Greek agora and Roman forum (including Tower of Winds and Hadrians Library) first. Walk up the Acropolis from this side (yes there are more steps but it's really not that bad). Then walk down toward the Acropolis museum side. This will put you close to the Temple of Zeus and a short walk from the Plaka.

I did think about that but was wondering if doing it that way would put me with the hordes of tourists at the Acropolis. I was planning on getting off the ship around 7-7:30 am and taking Taxi in to Athens. I wondered if beating the throngs of people was somehow better than a little back tracking? I was trying to end up in the Plaka for a late lunch. Karen

We were in Athens last August - DIY. The only thing I would differently is take a taxi from Piraeus port to the metro. We are walkers and it was a solid 25 minutes at a brisk pace. We enjoyed the walk but it was very hot...Of all the metro systems we've enjoyed, Athens' was the most challenging (lack of signage) but we managed just fine. We emerged at Symtagma in time for the changing of the guard then walked through the National Gardens (shade!!) towards the Acropolis. After walking to the top of the Acropolis we came down through the Agora and into the Plaka. W

We felt we had plenty of time in Athens and made it back to the ship no problem. We always feel like we get a better feel for a city when we travel as the locals do!

I did think about that but was wondering if doing it that way would put me with the hordes of tourists at the Acropolis. I was planning on getting off the ship around 7-7:30 am and taking Taxi in to Athens. I wondered if beating the throngs of people was somehow better than a little back tracking? I was trying to end up in the Plaka for a late lunch. Karen

I completely understand your dilemma about the crowds, and it's exactly the reason why I chose to do the Acropolis first. (Of course it helps that I'm not planning to go back to the Plaka....) In the end, a little backtracking may be worthwhile to have the Acropolis (relatively) to yourself in the morning.

• 1 month later...

There is a bus right outside the archeological museum, which takes you to syntagma square. You can see the guards in the little skirts (i am sorry, i don't know the proper name) and the pom pom's on their shoes. It is below the acropolis and the start of the plaka (shopping area) There is also a metro stop there too.

• 4 weeks later...

Cynthia Thank you for that valuable information you have shared. Very much appreciated. Do you have any other similar synopsis I could glean from you for Ephesus, Rhodes, Hafia, Ashod, Alexandria and Naples.

I notice you are on similar destinations in Sept this year. We depart on Celebrity Equinox 10 days earlier.

Many thanks i anticpation

Mark

Does anyone know the staus of construction on the Green Line? We will be there in about a month, end of May. I read about there being some construction, but could not find definitive confirmation.

Cynthia Thank you for that valuable information you have shared. Very much appreciated. Do you have any other similar synopsis I could glean from you for Ephesus, Rhodes, Hafia, Ashod, Alexandria and Naples.

I notice you are on similar destinations in Sept this year. We depart on Celebrity Equinox 10 days earlier.

Many thanks i anticpation

Mark

Yes, I'm headed to Israel (Haifa, Ashdod), Kusadasi (Ephesus) and Alexandria in September. I have been to Kusadasi twice so far and highly recommend a private tour there; guides in Turkey are relatively inexpensive, although the prices go up as the destination gets increasingly popular... There are several agencies that are often recommended on the boards here. I have been with Ekol twice and have been very happy each time. (First time: Ephesus, Terrace Houses, St John's Basilica; Second time: Priene, Didyma, Miletus.)

Having not yet been to Israel, I would hesitate to recommend anything there and I am just starting to compile my own notes.

As to Naples, if you are interested in doing Pompeii, I have some step-by-step instructions that are pretty similar to the ones for Athens. Since this is the Greece board, however, I'm not sure that it's best to post that here..... Why don't you post a query on the Italy ports of call board, and I'll respond there.

The rail replacement shuttle bus is still operational, I'm afraid! I was there just 2 days ago. Mum and I started walking from our ship in Piraeus port but had to give in and get a 1 Euro ticket, catching a bus to the Metro. From there we could only go one stop to then catch the X13 bus to Kallifera (sp?) station, then back onto the line to continue the journey. Once in central Athens we then bought the all day pass.

We first watched the changing of the guard, then back onto the Metro to get to the Acropolis station. Started walking up the hill then a road train stopped beside us. For 5 Euros we got a great 40 minute ride round the roads and alleyways, with good views of the Acropolis, passing restaurant tables and diners by just inches! It was very entertaining and certainly took the strain off the sightseeing (Mum is quite frail now).

We started making our way back to ship at 2pm, once off the road train, and it was an easy 1hr 45 minutes back (as was our journey in) because of the shuttle bus. It does add time on your journey, unfortunately!

Goodmorning:

We will be in arriving on the NCL Gem to Athens Tuesday May 18th/2010. We did Rome on our own last year arriving by train and would like to have a similar day in Athens. I am looking for a day that would include the highlights and some time just soaking in the culture.

Could some one please give me "step by step" instructions on getting from the port to Athens? Which metro stop to arrive at ect. Would like to do the Acropolis first then whatever you guys recommend in an orderly fashion. We are avid photographers and good walkers so we can take in quite a bit in a day. Thanks for all your help. Karen

After all we are going to join another group of CC and do a TAXI tour to Athens and Cape Sounion. Very reasonable price of $53.00 each and the day we are there May 18th is a national free musuem and site day.

Karen

Hi guys , I know it is still 15 days to go but I found a 15 day weather forecast for most of our ports.

http://www.accuweather.com/world-index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&loccode=EUR|IT|IT020|VENICE

To early to really worry about the weather but you can see trends in the temps to guide your packing. I am going to Bookmark the site so I can find it easily when on on our journey.

Take care Karen

The rail replacement shuttle bus is still operational, I'm afraid! I was there just 2 days ago. ....

We started making our way back to ship at 2pm, once off the road train, and it was an easy 1hr 45 minutes back (as was our journey in) because of the shuttle bus. It does add time on your journey, unfortunately!

Yikes it takes that long to get into 'town' from the Port using public transportation. Hmmmm, maybe a private tour would be a good idea. There are 8 of us afterall.

we just visited Athen last week of April

after one stop I believe, we had to get off the metro and board the X13 bus. follow the locals as they make their way along the sidewalk, past the shops, go up some stairs and then board the metro again. Reverse of course when you are coming back from Athens to Piraeus.

we did not know of the construction on the Green line before the trip and this info would have been useful to all of us off the Eurodam who were using public transportation

from the cruise terminal, for 1 euro, you can board the 843 bus which takes you to the metro station and to Athens (the ticket is good for 90 minutes after validation) or you can decide to walk for approx. 30 minutes from the terminal to the metro station.

we were surprised at the number of taxi operators; the numbers have definitely gone up in 2 years (Greek economy?)

we saw one group demonstrating near the port and then some more milling about Sy. Square where they had military police, city police, and a black bus (military?) all about. we bypassed the area after seeing this.

Archived