Big Screen Question...

stay_or_go

A question about the big screens on the lido decks on the ships that have them: it looks like the screens are on day and night, is the sound on day and night too?

Can you be on deck and not here the sound?

Do you need to go to the adults only desk to escape the noise?

I think they are great for concerts and for movies under the stars, but what is on all day long?

They had one of those giant screens on the Freedom when I cruised on her in September. At night, they showed some movies, or music concerts. During the day, they usually had some sort of music playing with generic screensavers playing on a slideshow of sorts. The music was not too loud, and was usually a nice background to sitting out by the pool. I could sit and read my book, so it wasn't too distracting.

The screen was also used during the day for Trivia games and such.

If you are looking for a quieter pool experience, go to the back of the ship and lay out by the Endless Pool (adults only).

Thanks!

We will need to be by the pool for the kids and I did not want to be blown out by the noise..

Seaside theater is a great improvement to cruising. I don't think it is overpowering at all and at sometimes it is just video without sound.

A question about the big screens on the lido decks on the ships that have them: it looks like the screens are on day and night, is the sound on day and night too?

Can you be on deck and not here the sound?

Do you need to go to the adults only desk to escape the noise?

I think they are great for concerts and for movies under the stars, but what is on all day long?

Being someone who tends to wander the ship at night I can tell you that the audio is muted during the night. The Sea Side theater is on but there's no audio just videos of ports that Carnival visits... beaches... ocean scenes... things of that nature.

:)

Being someone who tends to wander the ship at night I can tell you that the audio is muted during the night. The Sea Side theater is on but there's no audio just videos of ports that Carnival visits... beaches... ocean scenes... things of that nature.

LOL, Mach as I entered my comment I said to myself "myself, I bet Mach could respond and throw up a pic of the Seaside theater". I am batting .500, you must be slipping in your old age....:D

LOL, Mach as I entered my comment I said to myself "myself, I bet Mach could respond and throw up a pic of the Seaside theater". I am batting .500, you must be slipping in your old age....:D

No time to dig up the pic... gotta get to work!!!

Just for you, I'll add one later...

:D

I find them annoying and usually find a quieter place to lounge. I understand the attraction for many...just not my cup of tea. I hate "racket"..it interferes with my reading, daydreaming and peace of mind while on a ship.

I find them annoying and usually find a quieter place to lounge. I understand the attraction for many...just not my cup of tea. I hate "racket"..it interferes with my reading' date=' daydreaming and peace of mind while on a ship.[/quote']

I have to admit if I were deep in a book (which I do get into when cruising), sitting there during the day when the sound is on, would not be optimal. That is why there are choices on where to sit.

Seaside theater is a great improvement to cruising. I don't think it is overpowering at all and at sometimes it is just video without sound.

Just MHO, but I disagree. I can stay home and watch movies, when Im on the lido deck I would rather hear island music or steel drums. And sometimes during the non-movie times they have CNN or similar. Hey, Im on a cruise! A time of escape from the bad news of the world.

Just MHO, but I disagree. I can stay home and watch movies, when Im on the lido deck I would rather hear island music or steel drums. And sometimes during the non-movie times they have CNN or similar. Hey, Im on a cruise! A time of escape from the bad news of the world.

AMEN to that!!!!! Who cares about Paul Blart Mall Cop??? I want a jimmy buffet concert, or similiar type entertainment. I also dont want to know whats happening outside of the ship for the time being...if there is a serious problem..i will hear about it...if not, I'll be back in 7-8 days!

Jimbo...

From the Splendor...

IMG_2323.jpg

;)

Just off Triumph, and I too was worried about the screen interfering with our fun at sea... It really wasn't a problem, mostly "nature" videos (beaches, rivers, etc.) during the day, accompanied by the band of the moment that was playing on the lido deck anyway. They did some "live" shots of some of the games/contests that happened on Lido Deck, but not much replay (thank goodness) of the "Voyage Video". Wanted to see a movie, but didn't manage to get out on deck at the right time, if you are enjoying your cabin pre-dinner, and going to late dining in the MDR, you will mostly miss all movie and/or concert opportunties on the big screen. I wasn't very impressed with the movie choices either - "Mall Cop" - really????? would have like some 10pm movies, and I am pretty certain that popcorn & blankets aren't an option like on other cruises.

To answer your question, I don't think you'll be bothered by the video - the band is much louder than the sound from the broadcasts we heard.

Popcorn is an option. Available for a nominal charge at the adjacent bar.

As to the overall impact of the big screen, Carnival seems to have gotten it about right. Usually it's just a source of background music/video when the Lido band isn't playing. They will sometimes show the Cruise Director's daytime TV show for 30 minutes or so. Kind of entertaining. There are movies at night; didn't watch. And they use it as a video screen for the various contests that get held out on Lido so all can easily see. Book reading really isn't disturbed if you sit up the steps away from the pool a bit.

What ships have the Big Screen?

Will all of them get one sooner or later?

I doubt all of them will have it as it just does not fit in some (Fantasy and Spirit class) to name two that I don't think will ever have it. It is currently on Dream, Splendor and some of the Conquest class. Someone can correct me, but I think it is the Freedom, Liberty, Conquest, soon to be Glory. Not sure on the others in this class.

I doubt all of them will have it as it just does not fit in some (Fantasy and Spirit class) to name two that I don't think will ever have it. It is currently on Dream, Splendor and some of the Conquest class. Someone can correct me, but I think it is the Freedom, Liberty, Conquest, soon to be Glory. Not sure on the others in this class.

The only ship in the Conquest Class that doesn't currently have the Sea Side Theater is the Glory and she'll get it in her upcoming dry dock scheduled for next month...

I have to admit if I were deep in a book (which I do get into when cruising), sitting there during the day when the sound is on, would not be optimal. That is why there are choices on where to sit.

You betcha....those quiet places are great...and that's where you'll find me, book in hand.

I agree. It would be nice to have a steel band or some "local" type entertainment on Lido during the day.

Looks like that's gone the way of the horse and carriage.

I don't cruise to watch movies, listen to the news, catch up on world events or hear loud music blasting.

LOVE the Serenity......and my own balcony....where it's peaceful and quiet. Fortunately the newer ships are big enough so you can get away from it all.

I'm so looking forward to the "big screen" We love to watch movies and we love to be outside! At home we've set up a projector outside in our gazebo with a 60 inch screen and watch movies outside all summer!!!

I can't wait.

We have spa balcony cabin and I've heard reviews that some people think they are too far away from the food stations, but we don't care. We plan to spend time in hot tubs in serenity area and have spa treatments and then watch movies under the stars!!!

I've less than a year to go and I just can't wait.

And it's minus 15 celcius today so we definitly are not using our projector in the gazebo right now!!!!

Dreaming about the dream,

Debbie:)

Archived