How many cruise and never leave the ship?

Arwenmark

I have done Mexico before and I was not impressed. BUT it is convenient, I am currently living in Encino CA [for the moment] and so San Pedro is close and easy. I am booked on the Star again in April. and I rather doubt we will leave the ship at all.

Just wondered how many of you out there cruise and don't get off in ports?

DW did an impromptu dive down the stairs in 2008 and broke a bunch of stuff, and while she was immobile, she stayed on the ship for several cruises. SHE LOVED IT !!! Now that she is getting around again, she still likes to be on the ship and only gets off if I can't handle her shopping for her, or if she wants to see something special.

That said, we did travel with a friend who used a motorized scooter, and I was really impressed by the assistance he was given by the ship's crew and the taxi drivers at the ports. They loaded and unloaded his scooter at every stop, and were happy to do it. The driver in Acapulco had a friend go with him so I didn't have to help with the scooter. That is impressive !!! Fernando didn't miss anything he wanted to do on the entire trip.

Thanks guys but if I get answers from everyone who DOES get off this will be a very long thread LOL

was hoping to get responses from those who do NOT get off or are unlikely to at least.

Humm....so are you looking for a hundred or so people to say " NO" WE DON'T GET OFF"??? ....and then what? What exactly do you want to get from those who don't get off....could be a very boring thread instead of a long one.

We go just for the ship! My husband and I aren't beach people nor are we tour group types, but we enjoy being able to kick back in a nice lounge and relax with each other. We love exploring and enjoying the ship, which is much easier to do when everyone else is on the beach or wandering the port.

It would depend on what itinerary and what ship I was on. If I was on a large ship with a lot to do on board, and cruising to a places I have either been to or just wasn't interested in, yes, I would stay aboard. Would be able to enjoy the relative calm on board of a mostly empty ship. Would also be able to not miss any staff organized activities in order to collect additional signatures for the 'prizes' at cruise end. We make a game of that in of itself.;)

My mom considers the ship a destination. She stays on the ship many times when it docks. Sometimes she walks off and says "I'm here in such-&-such" and gets back on. On our most recent cruise to SA she stayed on the ship in Puerto Montt, Chacabucco and Montevideo. She got off the ship in Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, The Falklands and Puerta Madryn. On our weekend cruise on RC we did not get off the ship in Ensenada. On our Alaska cruise we skipped Valdez.

We loved our TA cruise with 6 sea days in a row. It was very peaceful. We did not feel the ship was that crowded. Loved it.

I wish I lived in a port city. I would cruise the same itinerary over and over and stay on the ship. Just to be able to cruise more.

DH has family in Montevideo, so that is a destination for us. We fly there for family visits, but recommend it as a port of call worthy of getting off of the ship.

While recently on the repositioning Panama Canal cruise, we stayed on board for many of the ports, or just wandered close by. Sea days are my favorite part of a cruise. The ship is always the destination for me. DH prefers land trips, so we alternate.

Barb

DH has family in Montevideo, so that is a destination for us. We fly there for family visits, but recommend it as a port of call worthy of getting off of the ship.

While recently on the repositioning Panama Canal cruise, we stayed on board for many of the ports, or just wandered close by. Sea days are my favorite part of a cruise. The ship is always the destination for me. DH prefers land trips, so we alternate.

Barb

Barb - I adored Montevideo. Found the coolest little art gallery where I separated myself from a lot of my money! I loved going to the grill and having grilled meat and Cheese and the best wine. I loved it.

My mom is 75 and she has a few issues with walking. So sometimes she just prefers to take it easy. She might miss a really cool port, but sometimes she just wants to rest (at the spa or on the balcony) and I head off into port with someone else. Luckily we usually cruise with other friends or relatives on the ship. Then she loves to hear of my adventures.

Don't forget though, when you're on it, you would have to get off to see the ugly :D

True but the ships I mentioned are also too bloody big and some such as Epic poorly designed, IMHO.

Of course to be fair many of the NCL ships are horribly designed from an accessible point of view.

Humm....so are you looking for a hundred or so people to say " NO" WE DON'T GET OFF"??? ....and then what? What exactly do you want to get from those who don't get off....could be a very boring thread instead of a long one.

As a Long time poster on these boards I sometimes ask questions just out of curiosity. I already know MOST of what there is to know about cruising so I don't come to find out hard facts very often.

I was just curious how many people found the cruise or the ship itself to be the main reason they cruise and don't need or want to leave the ship in ports that's all.

No one is making anyone read this read if you find it boring, I find it interesting.

As a Long time poster on these boards I sometimes ask questions just out of curiosity. I already know MOST of what there is to know about cruising so I don't come to find out hard facts very often.

I was just curious how many people found the cruise or the ship itself to be the main reason they cruise and don't need or want to leave the ship in ports that's all.

No one is making anyone read this read if you find it boring, I find it interesting.

Touche'.:D

True but the ships I mentioned are also too bloody big and some such as Epic poorly designed, IMHO.

Of course to be fair many of the NCL ships are horribly designed from an accessible point of view.

Too bloody big for me also! BTW-my apologizies for the hijacking myself & some others took this on earlier. That wasn not my intent at all.

I thought I slid that one through LOL

Through? You had thought you'd slid it through? Hmmmm, I'd have thought a different adverb might have been in order.

As for your origninal repartee, I too had wondered if and when someone would catch on, but at the time, I had no opportunity to editorialize, since I was on the company clock. Here's the Shakespearean passage that came to mind when I read your original post, Mr. Bison:

Beatrice: Against my will, I am sent to bid you come into dinner.

Benedick: Fair Beatrice, thank you for your pains.

Beatrice: I took no more pains for those thanks than you take pains to thank me. If it had been painful, I would not have come.

Benedick: You take pleasure then in the message?

Beatrice: Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife's point. You have no stomach, signor? Fare you well.

Benedick: Ha! "Against my will I am sent to bid you come into dinner." There's a double meaning in that.

Like what you said, there's a double meaning in that. (Probably more than once! <ROFL>)

InThe

If you are thinking what I think you are thinking, you are BAD. I like you !!!

yes, that was what I was thinking...and thank you :D

I thought I slid that one through LOL

LOL...it didn't slide past me for a second :p

Don't change !!

I agree 100%!! :)

Too bloody big for me also! BTW-my apologizies for the hijacking myself & some others took this on earlier. That wasn not my intent at all.

well, it made things a bit interesting so don't apologize...and besides, technically, I hijacked it anyway.

Through? You had thought you'd slid it through? Hmmmm, I'd have thought a different adverb might have been in order.

As for your origninal repartee, I too had wondered if and when someone would catch on, but at the time, I had no opportunity to editorialize, since I was on the company clock. Here's the Shakespearean passage that came to mind when I read your original post, Mr. Bison:

Beatrice: Against my will, I am sent to bid you come into dinner.

Benedick: Fair Beatrice, thank you for your pains.

Beatrice: I took no more pains for those thanks than you take pains to thank me. If it had been painful, I would not have come.

Benedick: You take pleasure then in the message?

Beatrice: Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife's point. You have no stomach, signor? Fare you well.

Benedick: Ha! "Against my will I am sent to bid you come into dinner." There's a double meaning in that.

Like what you said, there's a double meaning in that. (Probably more than once! <ROFL>)

InThe

LOL!! Gotta love someone who thinks in Shakespeare!!!!! :D

I always try to stay on the ship. But' date=' they always find me and tell me that my cruise is over and I have to go home now. :D

PE[/color']

Now that's the right idea-but they keep finding me also LOL

About the topic though...we usually do go into the ports, but some of them that we've been to several times might just be for a quick bit of shopping and then back onto the ship :D

It is interesting.

Personally, I do get off the ship most of the time...but if I couldn't it would be perfectly fine. I cruise for the ship...for the cruise itself; to be out on the ocean.

My favotite thing to do when I get off the ship is to snorkel....so when I'm not ON the water, I like to be IN the water.

To me, it's all about the sea :)

LOL!! Gotta love someone who thinks in Shakespeare!!!!! :D

When I'm at the office, I think in hexadecimal. (I sling bits for a living.) As for matters Shakespearean, my "bucket list" requires seeing all 37 plays. It's okay if the production changes the setting, but it has to keep the original language. I recently saw a production of Comedy of Errors done in a Looney Toons style. Original language tossed in favor of Daffy Duckisms. Did NOT qualify to check off my bucket list. On the other hand, Ashland's recent production of Two Gentlemen from Verona, done in the style of Amish-country-bumpkins-go-to-New-York-City-during-the-Roaring-Twenties, with all the original language: that one qualifed. In spades.

I have done Mexico before and I was not impressed. BUT it is convenient, I am currently living in Encino CA [for the moment] and so San Pedro is close and easy. I am booked on the Star again in April. and I rather doubt we will leave the ship at all.

Just wondered how many of you out there cruise and don't get off in ports?

The 2nd time we had port stops in Cozumel and Cancun we stayed aboard ship. We've done that also for other ports we've been to before, especially if a tender is involved.

However, if it's the first time we've been to a port we always go ashore, even if all we do is get a beer at a nearby bar with outdoor tables.

Archived