How many cruise and never leave the ship?

Arwenmark

I have done Mexico before and I was not impressed. BUT it is convenient, I am currently living in Encino CA [for the moment] and so San Pedro is close and easy. I am booked on the Star again in April. and I rather doubt we will leave the ship at all.

Just wondered how many of you out there cruise and don't get off in ports?

Me too. It is the combination of cruising and ports of call that appeals to me.

Thanks guys but if I get answers from everyone who DOES get off this will be a very long thread LOL

was hoping to get responses from those who do NOT get off or are unlikely to at least.

Thanks guys but if I get answers from everyone who DOES get off this will be a very long thread LOL

was hoping to get responses from those who do NOT get off or are unlikely to at least.

In that case, last time we took one of my kids, he never got off (which makes it the last time I pay for a cruise for him ;))

Why not try another place to leave from. The ports would be different and it would be a new experience. We have done both east and west coast cruises. You might find the Caribbean Islands more to your taste. We have enjoyed both.

I LOVE the Caribbean, hope to retire to Bonaire some day perhaps. I have sailed from many ports on many lines, but right now LA is very convenient and cheap. I travel in a Wheel chair or scooter and so if I have to fly to a port I have that to deal with too.

also of course there is the added expense of flying, hotel etc.

I cruise to CRUISE, to watch the ocean, to be at Sea, I don't really cruise to get somewhere or sightsee.

Many ports have nothing or little that is accessible in any case, and if you book your own accessible excursions they are very expensive. and may or may not meet our needs.

I was just curious if there were others out there that don't HAVE to get off the ship at all.

I was just curious if there were others out there that don't HAVE to get off the ship at all.

From time to time discussions such as this come up and quite a few say they prefer to just stay on board and 'have the ship to themselves' - IMO, sounds great. Nice thing about cruising is to do whatever floats your boat! :D Even more so when accessibility if a concern

Enjoy you future sailings!

I haven't yet, but I'm sure I could enjoy a cruise without leaving the ship. On the Star in October the weather was poor, we made only 2 ports, and we were off about two hours total. Good thing we liked the ship. On transatlantic cruises we have gone 6 blissful days without stepping off the ship. Given physical challenges, I can understand enjoying a half empty ship while others are ashore. Enjoy the journey.

I believe that you will find a boatload (pun intended :p) of them in the Roll Call thread for the Epic's TA coming up in June.

I don't see any of them getting off of the ship...:rolleyes:

Now that is funny if someone put me ON the EPIC I couldn't get off it quick enough, that is the most ugly ship I have ever seen.

You won't see me on the Oasis either or any of those of that ilk.

Now that is funny if someone put me ON the EPIC I couldn't get off it quick enough, that is the most ugly ship I have ever seen.

Don't forget though, when you're on it, you would have to get off to see the ugly :D

I too have cruised to Mexico many times and am tired of the same ports, but living in Cal it is just too easy to board in San Pedro. I would love a multi-day cruise to nowhere that of course meets Jones Act requirements. For me, the ship is the destination. If you really want to see the sights on land, by ship is not the way to go. The more sea days the better!

We're about to book another FL/Bahamas cruise on the Gem, and I probably won't get off the ship. I've done the itinerary several times and long ago ran out of things that interest me in those ports, so I'll probably just "hang out".

One might wonder why we would book this cruise again, but we need to take a vacation, can't go away for more than a week and don't feel like flying anywhere. I can drive to NY in about an hour...and then we're on our way.

On a 14 day on the Pearl, we skipped a few ports and loved basically having an uncrowded ship....great around the pool, great for the spa, great for our balcony....Now we're planning a 15 day through the Panama Canal....we're going for a break from No. California winter gloom, for being on the sea, for getting away. We're not interested in the Mexican ports....been there/done that too many times too many ways....so we treated ourselves to an aft penthouse where we plan to spend MUCH of our time ON the ship....watching the wake; listening to the sounds; watching the ports and people come and go; using the spa and sitting on those loungers.....we are people who are more interested in being ON water than ON land at many of the destinations. We've been to alot of places all over the world....and we love being on a ship.

I prefer not getting off at any ports. I come to cruise. I did a 10 day trans-

atlantic this year with only two stops. I got off at the first port to use a phone.

Went about two hundred yards and came back. I did not get off at the second port. Ten days with only twenty minutes on land. Love it!

We are cruising the 15th of January out of Long Beach, on the 3 day cruise to Ensenada, and have no intention of leaving the ship. We enjoy just hanging out, and it's a cheap, fun get away! It's the Paradise, but Elation is moving to AL soon, and supposedly it's also pretty cheap! You know what they say...Any day on a cruise is better than the best day at work! ;) Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide!!

We have skipped some ports. In some we just walk off a little ways, look at the stupid shops, and then go back to the ship.

It is great when folks want to see the local culture, etc. But, some people get off for nothing but the shopping - most of which is from China.

My mom considers the ship a destination. She stays on the ship many times when it docks. Sometimes she walks off and says "I'm here in such-&-such" and gets back on. On our most recent cruise to SA she stayed on the ship in Puerto Montt, Chacabucco and Montevideo. She got off the ship in Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, The Falklands and Puerta Madryn. On our weekend cruise on RC we did not get off the ship in Ensenada. On our Alaska cruise we skipped Valdez.

We loved our TA cruise with 6 sea days in a row. It was very peaceful. We did not feel the ship was that crowded. Loved it.

I wish I lived in a port city. I would cruise the same itinerary over and over and stay on the ship. Just to be able to cruise more.

We're about to book another FL/Bahamas cruise on the Gem, and I probably won't get off the ship. I've done the itinerary several times and long ago ran out of things that interest me in those ports, so I'll probably just "hang out".

One might wonder why we would book this cruise again, but we need to take a vacation, can't go away for more than a week and don't feel like flying anywhere. I can drive to NY in about an hour...and then we're on our way.

Yup--we booked our second Gem-Bahamas cruise also (for 12/2010)....and this time we also will just "hang out"...itinerary is weak..but we liked the ship and this cruise will be for total relaxation!!:D

Archived