"LIVE" from Celebrity Mercury / Jan 2, 2010

Radio

Radio,

Thank you so much for your great reports and wonderful pics! I LOVE the ones of the steaming ocean from the Gulf Stream! I appreciate the time you are taking to report to us.

Thanks Joe :) I love to do this. I do this on EVERY Cruise !

Thanks for the nice comments :rolleyes:

Radio

;);)

ship.

Tomorrow is Charleston, and my plan is to visit the City Market, go down to the Aquarium or Maritime Center (for a Harbor Tour or Ft Sumter tour). I will try to get to all 3, but it depends on the weather, and if I feel lazy or not~

Hi Radio,

We've been to Charleston, and you will love the City Market. We thought it was interesting and a lot of fun. That's on Market Street. If you have a chance, stop in at Scents of Charleston (right on Market Street) and tell Lou that Susan and Eddie say hi. It will blow his mind!!

Enjoy your day. Hope you have good weather.

Radio,

Many thanks for the pix. Those of the steaming ocean are something that few of us get to see - really gives you a sense of the power behind it. Thanks for your commitment to sharing your experience.

Barbara

Is that a VCR in your room or a DVD player? If a VCR, are there films to borrow somewhere on board (the library perhaps)?

LOVING the pics. Heading out on her in May and your pics are bringing her to life for me.

Have a great time!

Let us add our thanks for your reports and pictures. We are traveling with 2 "Vigins" and your pictures will show them what the ship looks like. We have a group of 10 for the February 1 sailing. Say Hi to Deltablue and Mr. RentACar for us. Gail and Ken

Thanks, Radio. I enjoy reading your "live from" reports and I especially enjoy this one as it brings back fun memories - we sailed Mercury in November - and are sailing her again October 2010. Thanks, again -- your pictures are spectacular!

u may not read this' date=' until After Charleston visit - we found a nice coffee shop w/WiFi, in that Warehouse-shops area. We also enjoyed a fabulous lunch at Sticky Fingers (walking distance of the Warehouse-shops).

Enjoying your posts w/pics! tnx![/quote']

Wow . . .Thanks ;)

I will try to find it. . .

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone. . .

We picked up the harbor Pilot very early today (630AM), and may our way into the Harbor.

It is still very cold (25F), and very sunny with light winds(7mph). It will be heating up today to around 39F by 3PM.

We pulled up to the pier at about 730AM, and were tied up by 8AM. They have cleared all passengers to go ashore at 815. The Gangway is on Deck 5 (Starboard)

I will be getting off by around 930, and make my way over to Starbucks (yum, yum), and go up to the Maritime Center for the Fort Sumter Cruise at 11AM. I will try to make it over to the City market if I have time before we leave toady at 5PM.

The Cruise should be about a 2 hour tour, and it has been highly recommended by many previous passengers.

They put the deck chairs out by the pool (1st time) I wonder how many people will be sunbathing? Brrrr. . . .

Thanks for the nice comments, and thanks for tuning in ! More pics later today. . .

Radio

Early Morning Sunrise in Charleston

C10.JPG

Charleston Harbor, and Cooper River (Ravenel) Bridge

C19.JPG

The Charleston Passenger Terminal

C7.JPG

Dockside looking north up the Harbor

C8.JPG

Pool Deck chairs going out today for the first time. . .

C16.JPG

Historic Charleston

C9.JPG

To "Radio":

This is Christina, Mindy & John's daughter. I just got my mom's note to check out this site for updates and pictures, and I read through every page--literally laughed out loud at my shout-out. Thank you for passing the "hello" along, and I'm sorry that my mom bugged you to do that, haha.

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful--and the steaming sea: wow! I'm glad to hear you all are having a nice time. I'm glad the water doesn't feel too rough; hopefully things smooth out nicely once you head a little further south. Enjoy Charleston, and have a wonderful trip! I'll be checking back for updates--I admire how informational you are! :)

Oh, and I suppose if you see my parents, pass on my hello. :) Or just nudge my mom and say, "Boo says 'What's up, woman?'" I dare you. Hehe.

Thanks, and have fun!

-Christina

Radio, thank you for all the great pictures and live posts. It is the highlight of my day when I get a chance to sit down and read your great live posts and look at all those great pictures.

keep up the good work

Joe Cadd

Radio---your picture of the escalator brought back a funny memory. We have sailed on X 30 times and it was not until the recent Mercury cruise that we found out the escalators have sensors to turn them on. We had never taken one because we thought they were not in working order. Red faces, you bet!

I am really enjoying your posts. The pictures are spectacular. Either you have a fancy camera, or you are a superb photographer. Are you Elite? Are you enjoying the great perks? Isn't Juliana a dear?

Hi Radio,

I'm so interested in your "Live" updates!

We have travelled on Mercury, twice over the last three months. First cruise was 10/23 San Diego to Baltimore thru Panama Canal-17 nights, great time .

Annie

My husband's brother David was on that cruise with his wife Kay. He seemed to like it. Our first cruise in 2004 was on his recommendation, so that's a good omen.

Hi Radio

What wonderful pictures and descriptions of the Mercury. We're a large family and group of friends who will be sailing her on March 29th from Charleston. Love the pictures of Charleston. We visited in October and went to the waterfront to dream. We're on the same sailing as Amber, we have a sky suite.

Thanks for posting these wonderful sites you are experiencing. We're following you with great enjoyment and envy that we're not with you.:D

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the warmth you should be feeling any time now.

Pat C

Hi Radio!

I want to thank you, too, for keeping everyone informed about this cruise! I wrote to you yesterday about my son and his girlfriend being on the Mercury with you. I am wondering if you will tell us (since we can't talk to them right now) how the sailing has been (terrribly rough?), and what the weather was like in Charleston today? Did you go on the walking tour? In a roundabout way, you are a link to what is going on with our son's cruise. I really appreciate your doing this, and I will continue checking your reports daily. Cheers! :)

Hi Radio!

I want to thank you, too, for keeping everyone informed about this cruise! I wrote to you yesterday about my son and his girlfriend being on the Mercury with you. I am wondering if you will tell us (since we can't talk to them right now) how the sailing has been (terrribly rough?), and what the weather was like in Charleston today? Did you go on the walking tour? In a roundabout way, you are a link to what is going on with our son's cruise. I really appreciate your doing this, and I will continue checking your reports daily. Cheers!

The weather was Sunny, and a little cold.(It made it up 42F), with light winds.

My post will follow soon. . . Thanks for the nice comments.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hello everyone. . . I had a great day in Charleston today. I didn’t have enough time to do everything I wanted to do, but I had a lot of fun.

I started by going over to Liberty Square. It was only about a mile, but it was very cold (in the 20's)this morning and I was able to get a cab ($5 /One Way)

I went into the National Park Service Visitor information center, which is right next to the South Carolina Aquarium. I decide to do the Ft Sumter Tour ($16.PP). The next tour was at 11AM, and I walked around in the Museum that was there to learn about Ft Sumter, and the Civil War.

The trip over to Ft Sumter was about 30min, and it was still very cold and windy. They offered Coffee and snacks on the way over. (The staff was very busy at the snack counter)

Fort Sumter was very interesting. The National Park Service is renovating the Museum at the Fort, so later this year it will be much better.

We stayed there for about an hour, and came back to Liberty Square. The cruise portion of the tour was narrated, and provided a lot of information about the Harbor, and other attractions to see in Charleston. We saw a lot of dolphins on the way back. . .they seemed to be attracted by the tour boat.

When I got back to Liberty Square, I decide to walk back to the City Market (I’m a big boy, and I know I could use the exercise)

During the walk back I happened to walk by a Harris Tweeter (a grocery chain, for those in the Northeast) Son of a gun. . . There was a Starbucks inside. I had to stop in for a delicious fresh brewed cup (and a newspaper)

The City Market has a lot of vendor stalls, and the prices seemed to be very good. It seemed that there were a lot of Cruise Ship passengers there as well (I saw a lot of Celebrity Tote bags).They have a lot of restaurants, and bars in this 4 block area of Market Street.

I thought it would be a good time to make my way back to the ship. The terminal workers were very excited that the Mercury will home port from Charleston next month. The locals also seemed very friendly to offer advice for tours, transportation, etc.

I made it back to the ship, and we have a little time before we leave for Key West at 5PM.

Here are a few pics from today. . .

The comments have all been very nice. Thanks to all for tuning in !

Radio

Welcome to Charleston, SC

C39.JPG

Charleston Passenger Terminal Gangway

C20.JPG

Inside the Terminal

C24.JPG

Mercury docked at the Pier

C25.JPG

South Carolina Aquarium at Liberty Square

C26.JPG

The Spirit of Charleston was waiting for us. . .

C27.JPG

Hello everyone. . . Here are a few more pics. . .

Radio

The Beautiful Celebrity Mercury

C30.JPG

Fort Sumter National Monument

C31.JPG

You can still see Mercury off in the distance from the Fort

C32.JPG

The Spirit of Charleston is ready to take us back

C35.JPG

The USS Yorktown over at Patriots Point

C38.JPG

We make it back to Liberty Square

C45.JPG

Just a few more pics, then it will be time to get some Sushi !

I am READY for Key West ! :rolleyes:

Radio

Carriage Rides in Charleston

C37.JPG

Inside the City Market (near the Ship)

C33.JPG

The shops are all very close to the ship

C42.JPG

We are almost back. . .

C43.JPG

We are back to our Home !

C41.JPG

I have enjoyed many of your "Live" reports and have cruised on several of the same ships: Norwegian Majesty and Grandeur of the Seas. I'll be on the Mercury for the Feb. 1 cruise out of Baltimore, so I'm enjoying all the pictures of the ship and all the good information.

I have a couple questions. You mentioned the alternative, casual dining for the evening meal. Is a buffet available, or must you have the meal served to you in the Palm Springs Cafe? Also, what are the times for the buffet and dining room for breakfast and lunch?

Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

I have enjoyed many of your "Live" reports and have cruised on several of the same ships: Norwegian Majesty and Grandeur of the Seas. I'll be on the Mercury for the Feb. 1 cruise out of Baltimore, so I'm enjoying all the pictures of the ship and all the good information.

I have a couple questions. You mentioned the alternative, casual dining for the evening meal. Is a buffet available, or must you have the meal served to you in the Palm Springs Cafe? Also, what are the times for the buffet and dining room for breakfast and lunch?

Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Only the Palm Springs “Order off the Menu” Dining Bistro suggests a gratuity.

You can still have dinner in the Palm Springs Café with Sushi and Stir Fry (5-9PM) and Pizza, and Italian favorites like pasta, lasagna, calzone in the Palm Springs Pool Grill (11AM-11PM) Both are Buffet Style

Thanks for the nice comments. . . ;)

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Radio

The pictures are awesome. We are booked on Mercury 3 times in the next 13 months. The 12-night Caribbean in Feb 2010 and 2011, and the 10-night that you are doing right now, for October 2010.

I am so GREEN with envy I can't stand myself.

The pictures are awesome. Can you add some pictures of Michaels Club and the Cova. The COVA is usually our home away from home.

Also any bartenders, barservers in these areas.

Thanks.

Archived