Advice, please, on dressing for dinner on Noordam

We have only sailed previously with Cunard and I wore a Dinner Jacket (tux) on the formal evenings as did the overwhelming majority of men. Will that be the case on the Noordam in the Caribbean for 20 days in February? Or would most males be wearing simply a dark suit. I don't want to carry a dinner jacket across the Atlantic if I'm going to feel out of place wearing it.

Martin N

Just off a before Xmas cruise on Noordam and there were more men in suits on the formal nights. You certainly would not be out of place with a dinner jacket on formals nights nor would you be with a dark suit. Just enjoy yourself. We did!;)

My husband always wears a tuxedo or dinner jacket on formal evenings and has never felt out of place in the least. Our November Westerdam cruise, I'd say that at least 50% of the gentlemen for traditional, main seating wore tuxes. Probably 30% in dark suits and the rest a combination of blazers/ties and whatever.

[/b]

We were on the 20 day in November. My husband wore a tux, and I wore formals for six formal nights. I would say the majority of men wore tux's. There were men dressed in dark suits that had on beautiful ties, and shirts with french cuffs, which gave the suits a real evening dress look.

We did the Pinnacle Grill one formal night, and that was really a lot of fun.

Have a great cruise!

A gentleman should never feel out of place wearing a tux/dinner jacket on a formal night. After all, that is formal wear.

A dark suit is the fall-back dress for men who do not have a tux/dinner jacket. A sport coat w/tie is the fall-back dress for men who can't even manage a suit. Neither is really formal, though.

Wear the tux/dinner jacket and look smashing.

We have only sailed previously with Cunard and I wore a Dinner Jacket (tux) on the formal evenings as did the overwhelming majority of men. Will that be the case on the Noordam in the Caribbean for 20 days in February? Or would most males be wearing simply a dark suit. I don't want to carry a dinner jacket across the Atlantic if I'm going to feel out of place wearing it.

Martin N

You should be fine, Martin. My husband wears a dark suit...you'll see a combination of tuxes and suits on Formal Night.

Please sign up for our Roll Call for the Voyage of the Superbowl Beach Patrol sailing on February 3! :cool:

Archived