clothing steamer

I just bought a new clothes steamer a couple weeks ago and took it onboard Mariner on Dec. 20th. Funny thing, though, it never got used. We pack in dry cleaner bags and never have wrinkles.

My steamer is all plastic with the exception of the enclosed heating coil, no metal plates or heat on the outside except where the steam comes out. It is quite similar to the one I have actually seen onboard the ship in the general store, both on Radiance and on Mariner. It's less than half the size of those pictured in the above post:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Voltage+Valet+CS2+Travel+Clothes+Steamer&pf_id=PAOHADEINFHJLNCC&dept_id=3268&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

The dry cleaner bags really keep the clothes from wrinkling. I also found that organizing my dinner outfits and bagging them really organizes my packing (I am a terrible packer).

I have a ConAir Fabric Steamer. Works great on just about anything, it was a life saver on our trip to IL....dear DIL doesn't iron...my steamer was used almost every day!

I would hate to have it confiscated on any of our cruises...I am an ironing fanatic! :eek: :D ;)

If you steam the clothes prior to packing, let them dry and then pack using cleaner bags, do the clothes stay unwrinkled? thanks

If you steam the clothes prior to packing, let them dry and then pack using cleaner bags, do the clothes stay unwrinkled? thanks

I think a lot depends on the material the garment is made of. I have two outfits that are 100% cotton and the will wrinkle if you look at them the wrong way.

I think a lot depends on the material the garment is made of. I have two outfits that are 100% cotton and the will wrinkle if you look at them the wrong way.

Have lots of clothes like that. I started ironing yesterday on the cottons -- they stay pretty well packed in a cleaner bag.

Clothing steamers are NOT allowed...they..along with irons and curling irons are considered fire hazzards..they can and will be confiscated at the pier and returned on disembarkation..I am a FORMER employee and know this to be fact

Maybe this is why you are a "former" employee. Have no clue as to procedures and giving out wrong information.

Maybe this is why you are a "former" employee. Have no clue as to procedures and giving out wrong information.
That's kind of a nasty post. The information "Cruisin Girl" gave is totally accurate as that is what happened to DD and SIL on the Aug. 30 FOS cruise.

We brought our Rowenta Ultra Handheld Steambrush with us on our Adventure of the Seas cruise last August. When I called RCI previous to our cruise I was told you are allowed to bring a steamer as long as it is in no way an iron. The Rowenta worked great on our clothes that I rolled and that I used dry cleaner bags on...the clothes still got some wrinkling. The Downy Wrinkle Releaser works OK...not great...and it is not easy to find from our experience.

We brought our Rowenta Ultra Handheld Steambrush with us on our Adventure of the Seas cruise last August. When I called RCI previous to our cruise I was told you are allowed to bring a steamer as long as it is in no way an iron. The Rowenta worked great on our clothes that I rolled and that I used dry cleaner bags on...the clothes still got some wrinkling. The Downy Wrinkle Releaser works OK...not great...and it is not easy to find from our experience.
The large bottles are all over in grocery stores in the laundry dept. Found a small travel size bottle that I refill in Target but any small travel size spray bottle will do.

Oreck Steamer

You can find one on eBay, as their stores/outlets only have a limited supply, if you can find one. Works great on Carnival and RCI with no problems.

These two are like the one I have. It replaced a Rowenta that wouldnt get hot enough and just spit warm water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORECK-GARMET-STEAMER-USED-1X-ONLY-must-see_W0QQitemZ160390795140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558094f84

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORECK-GARMENT-CLOTHING-STEAMER-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ260516647902QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca80093de

I have a cheap hand-help travel steamer which was purchased for work tavel at Staples. We took it on the Monarch in October...the bag was held and we simply had to take it out and show it to the staff. They looked at it and told us that it was okay...no wrinkles for us!

• 9 months later...

I read through all the replies and there still seems to be some yes or no. So, I emailed RCI and gave them the link to my travel steam iron that I just purchased:

http://www.amazon.ca/Sunbeam-GCSBHH01-033-Handheld-Garment-Steamer/dp/B002VECV14

I'll let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

Otherwise, I will return it.

It is interesting that Celebrity specifically states "No Clothes Steamers or irons allowed". It is answered in their "FAQ" section. I remember finding that info 2 weeks ago for my sister who was sailing on the Solstice. Her husband almost freaked because he irons everything! But they managed.

I searched RCCL and saw nothing but "iron". No mention whatsoever about steamers. It is just weird because aren't they owned and managed by the same company?

I am bringing my steamer next month. It is one of the all plastic lightweight steamers. I did buy some Downy Wrinkly reducer but I am very sensitive to smells and would rather not use it! So both are going in my suitcase!

Here's the latest link to an Oreck Steamer thats on eBay. These are hard to come by in their stores and outlet, and eBay seems to be the only place to get on. I've had mine for a few years now, and have used it on two cruises (RCI and Carnival) with no problems. I use it at home to touch up shirts, pants, curtains, and anything else with wrinkles. It has a crease adapter, but I have never used it.

I took my "Little Little Steamer Go Mini" on Freedom in September. It worked wonderful when needed. The "Go Mini" is small enough to do a couple of outfits, perfect for the formal night touch up. Additionally it is lightweight and packs in luggage great. A little piece of mind for a ironing gal. Enjoy your cruise!

I know we are to suppost to bring irons on the ship but I was looking into a portable steamer for my clothes does anyone have a suggestion of a brand they have and like?

I have to share this because I was cracking myself up. When I saw the header to this thread: "clothing steamer" I thought of those old steamer trunks that people used to bring when they traveled. My thought was good grief how much clothing is she bringing! LOL. Apparently I haven't had enough coffee yet! Have a great cruise.

Kimi

I just got an email back from RCI, no clothes steamers are permitted :(:(

Do I return mine, or take a chance on bringing it (others have said they didn't have a problem) and having it confiscated until I leave? And if they do take it, when do I get it back?

I know we are to suppost to bring irons on the ship but I was looking into a portable steamer for my clothes does anyone have a suggestion of a brand they have and like?

Wife and i just got back from the Majesty . We had a hand held steamer and had no problem at all. The brand we had was the Samsonite dual voltage one. It worked great

Archived