Drydock Schedule?

iceman93

I have just returned from a cruise on the Volendam and found out from the Future Cruise Consultant on board that it is from March 31 to April 14 2011 in Singapore.

If you consult Volendam cruise schedules you will notice the gap set aside for the refit

I only have information for 2010. I have listed the ships in alphabetical order.

Amsterdam: 8-day dry dock scheduled in San Francisco, CA (Dec 14 - Dec 21)

Prinsendam: 9-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Jan 5 - Jan 12)

Ryndam: 14-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Feb 7 - Feb 23)

Statendam: 16-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Mar 27 - Apr 10)

Westerdam: 10-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Apr 5 - Apr 13)

While some knowledgeable folks will argue the difference between dry dock and wet dock, I am using the terms from HAL's own spreadsheet. Either way, these ships are scheduled to be out of service during the stated times.

Zaandam: 15-day dry dock scheduled in San Francisco, CA (Jan 7 - Jan 19)

Zuiderdam: 8-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Mar 24 - Mar 30)

As a side note...

also "out of service" in 2010 for reasons other than refurbishment

Oosterdam (Feb 1 - Mar 1) and Statendam (Jan 13 - Mar 7) for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia

Noordam (June 9 - July 11) and Westerdam (June 10 - July 11) for the FIFA Charters related to the World Cup Soccer (Futbol) Events. Both of these ships also have FIFA Charters as repositioning cruises to get to and from the necessary ports of call (before and after these posted dates).

As a side note...

Oosterdam (Feb 1 - Mar 1) and Statendam (Jan 13 - Mar 7) for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia

Noordam (June 9 - July 11) and Westerdam (June 10 - July 11) for the FIFA Charters related to the World Cup Soccer (Futbol) Events. Both of these ships also have FIFA Charters as repositioning cruises to get to and from the necessary ports of call (before and after these posted dates).

It seems to me they would do some upgrading/repairs or something on the Oosterdam if not sailing for a month? I hope???:)

Sounds like she goes in for her next Dry Dock right after I get off her in Singapore on March 31. Hmmmm.

I wonder if she's due for a Wet dock before then? A lot of refreshing-work can be done in wet-docks.

FYI these charters have nothing to do with FIFA (the International Football Association). They are being organised by One Ocean Club a German backed company. The only connection with FIFA is that the guests will be attending some of the matches at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

It seems to me they would do some upgrading/repairs or something on the Oosterdam if not sailing for a month? I hope???:)

The ships have been chartered as accommodation for military and police working the Olympic Games. I'm not sure if they would appreciate maintenance being done onboard especially for they are off duty after a long shift!!

Why would it be different than having "upgrading/repairs or something" done while you were on board? Would you want that going on while you were paying to be on the ship? :confused: Someone is paying to be on the Oosterdam then.

Bishop and ME...did not understand at first that others would be onboard during that time. Of course I would not want that for them. Its easy to get pounced on this board if you are not completely informed:)

Travalerie, my apologies for pouncing! I should have worded my reply better. You are right and its easy to forget that other members may not have seen the same information/news releases.

Its easy to get pounced on this board if you are not completely informed:)
I'm sorry you missed this information:
As a side note...

You wanted refurbishment. IMHO, trvlcrzy was clear this "out of service" wasn't for refurbishment. It was on this thread, not something I thought you might have seen elsewhere.

It has been widely discussed here that ships have been charted for accommodations during the Olympics. I can't think of any Olympics (near a port) that ships haven't been charted for such a reason.

Bishop and ME...did not understand at first that others would be onboard during that time. Of course I would not want that for them. Its easy to get pounced on this board if you are not completely informed:)

Ain't that the truth!!:eek:

Joanie

I'm sorry you missed this information:

You wanted refurbishment. IMHO, trvlcrzy was clear this "out of service" wasn't for refurbishment. It was on this thread, not something I thought you might have seen elsewhere.

It has been widely discussed here that ships have been charted for accommodations during the Olympics. I can't think of any Olympics (near a port) that ships haven't been charted for such a reason.

I read the original post, just kind of scanning it over, looking for the Oosterdam-the ship I will be on soon. I saw it being out of service during the olympics and just did not make the connection. For some reason I thought it was sailing in and out of Vancouver, but now after thinking about it, I know it has been going to Mexico from San Diego. So it just totally went over my head. I have not seen it discussed here or been a part of any threads talking about this, so it was just not on my radar. I usually concentrate on the sports and less about cruise ships when thinking of the Olympics! The last I heard about ships being chartered for people to stay there shore term in port was after Hurrican Katrina in NOLA.

Travalerie, my apologies for pouncing! I should have worded my reply better. You are right and its easy to forget that other members may not have seen the same information/news releases.

Hey Bishop! I honestly did not feel pounced on by you. No worries :)

I only have information for 2010. I have listed the ships in alphabetical order.

Amsterdam: 8-day dry dock scheduled in San Francisco, CA (Dec 14 - Dec 21)

Prinsendam: 9-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Jan 5 - Jan 12)

Ryndam: 14-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Feb 7 - Feb 23)

Statendam: 16-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Mar 27 - Apr 10)

Westerdam: 10-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Apr 5 - Apr 13)

While some knowledgeable folks will argue the difference between dry dock and wet dock, I am using the terms from HAL's own spreadsheet. Either way, these ships are scheduled to be out of service during the stated times.

Zaandam: 15-day dry dock scheduled in San Francisco, CA (Jan 7 - Jan 19)

Zuiderdam: 8-day dry dock scheduled in Freeport, Bahamas (Mar 24 - Mar 30)

Is there a link where one can see what will take place while in Drydock?

Is there a link where one can see what will take place while in Drydock?

I don't know of specifics except that the HAL site offers deck plans with dates showing the 'before' and 'after' plans. Someone else may have info from a press release or something.

I had read on here that the Ryndam would receive the aft changes already applied to Veendam... with one post saying that the change wouldn't happen in the next dry dock, but the following one.

... but while aboard the Ryndam in July 2009, our M&G group was told by the CD and HM that those aft changes were NOT going to occur on the Ryndam.

My best guess at this point is "Wait and see." (Very helpful, I know. :D)

• 4 weeks later...
Hoping someone cld clarify what happens during 'wet dock' & dry dock'..besides the obvious being that the ship is out of the water during 'dry' & in the water during 'wet' :)...

Thanks in advance.

Happy cruisin'!

Dry docking is required when the hull is being painted below the water line or when work is completed on the azipods/propulsion system

Wet docking is a period of 'lighter work' -- interior decorating, etc.

Others may know more specific info.

The HAL spreadsheet for 2010 does not include the word "wet" in it... only dry docks are listed, and I don't see any long stretches of inactivity except for the Olympics and the World Cup.

Hoping someone cld clarify what happens during 'wet dock' & dry dock'..besides the obvious being that the ship is out of the water during 'dry' & in the water during 'wet' :)...

Thanks in advance.

Happy cruisin'!

A dry-dock is a narrow basin or vessel (floating dry-dock) that can be flooded to allow a load, i.e. a ship, to be floated in, then drained to allow that load to come to rest on a dry platform. Drydocks are used for the construction, maintenance, and repair of ships, boats, and other watercraft.

A wet-dock is a dock where the level of water in the dock is maintained despite the raising and lowering of the tide. This makes transfer of cargo easier. It works like a lock which controls the water level and allows passage of ships.

A ship in dry-dock allows for the ship's hull, propellor(s) and rudder(s) (or Azipods) to be in inspected/repaired. It also allows for the ship's hull to be cleaned and repainted. You can't do that (painting below the waterline) in a wet-dock

Archived