Jewel of the Sea

We are thinking about taking a 10 cruise out of Miami in April on the Jewel of the Sea. I haven't been following in here as close as I used to because we didn't have a cruise booked until November of this year. Can anybody tell me just a bit about the Jewell? I understand it's a Radiance class. Our favorite ship of all the cruises we have taken is the Rhapsody of the Sea. Would appreciate just somebody's impression of the Jewell of the Sea.

We are thinking about taking a 10 cruise out of Miami in April on the Jewel of the Sea. I haven't been following in here as close as I used to because we didn't have a cruise booked until November of this year. Can anybody tell me just a bit about the Jewell? I understand it's a Radiance class. Our favorite ship of all the cruises we have taken is the Rhapsody of the Sea. Would appreciate just somebody's impression of the Jewell of the Sea.

We are doing the 11 day cruise on april 5, 2010 on the Jewel and in Sept we are doing a Sept cruise on the Radiance. We have already sailed on the Brilliance and Serenade as well as the Rhapsody. Although we loved the Rhapsody we liked the Serenade class a little better. We found that the theatre on the Rhapsody was nicer due to the love seat arrangement but everything else was better on the Radiance class. The glass elevators are great as is the outside dining area in the Windjammer.

The Seaview Cafe is a real find and there is a Thermal suite that I can't say enough about. The Radiance class gives you the feel of a small ship but has the amenities of a big ship.

We took a 7-day cruise on Jewel last fall. Beautiful ship. They were very conscientious in some areas: wiping the grab bars in the stairwells, anti-bacterial gel in the dining rooms. And sloppy in other areas: forgetting orders at Breakfast, 1 tsp. of old Hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict. Slow service at lunch (and blaming the kitchen) and really slow service at dinner. I think the slow service was due to our waiter. Our Assistant Waiter was top notch, but at dinner each night, we were served last and the last out the door every night! Our cabin steward left his cart outside our stateroom all the time, even when he was off duty.

Guest relations didn't know what they were doing except for the easiest tasks. If you have to use guest relations, get it in writing, and get their name.

We were on shore excursions in 4 ports, and so we were not on the ship much.

I'm looking to returning to the Jewel in April of 2011 for a ten day. I've been on five ships so far and she's may favorite. I love the solariums (solaria?) on the Radiance Class ships. All the bells and whistles and skating rinks, and royal promanades on the bigger ships are nice, but the Jewel is precious.

It's a very nice ship. The only thing I didn't like was the enclosed Solarium....I like being able to lie by the pool and tan in an "adult only" atmosphere...and with the covered roof, you really can't tan....big negative, for me.

Aside from that, the rest of the ship is a beauty!

Come join us on April 5, 11 nights on the Jewel. We chose the 11 over the 10 for the ports. The 10 night does Labadee ( RC private island ) the 11 nighter does Aruba. We have been to Labadee several times an had not been to Aruba. This will be our first time on a Radiance class, We have sailed all the other classes except for the Oasis. There is a lot of info on thsed boards tho.;)

Did the 11 night on Jewel, Jan/09. Had a very good cruise. Food was good but many in the kitchens had very heavy hands with salt. Ship was in good shape and well maintained. By and large a very attentive and pleasant crew.

I haven't sailed a Vision class ship so I can't compare Jewel to Rhapsody. What I really liked about Jewel and Radiance is the al fresco aft section of the Windjammer. Breakfast on sea day watching the sun rise. Lunch watching all the port activity. Sunset dinners watching the lights of your most recent port recede.

Cartagena was a very nice surprise. Don't stay aboard in this port.

If you want to watch the canal entry get to the prow early. You may have to wait just outside the theater for a bit before they let you forward. It's well worth the trouble as only a few people (30 - 40) will get good views from the very front of the ship. I doubt that I'll ever forget sailing towards the Gatun locks in the pre-dawn light. Daylight increased the closer we got to the lock entrance. I don't know if this was planned or luck of the draw. All I can say is wow!

There was a huge car carrier traversing on our port side, just ahead of us. As we got closer that ship got bigger and bigger and I started to get a real appreciation for just how big the locks are. As we pulled even with the carrier I was stunned to see that we were even larger.

Did the 11 night on Jewel, Jan/09. Had a very good cruise. Food was good but many in the kitchens had very heavy hands with salt. Ship was in good shape and well maintained. By and large a very attentive and pleasant crew.

I haven't sailed a Vision class ship so I can't compare Jewel to Rhapsody. What I really liked about Jewel and Radiance is the al fresco aft section of the Windjammer. Breakfast on sea day watching the sun rise. Lunch watching all the port activity. Sunset dinners watching the lights of your most recent port recede.

Cartagena was a very nice surprise. Don't stay aboard in this port.

If you want to watch the canal entry get to the prow early. You may have to wait just outside the theater for a bit before they let you forward. It's well worth the trouble as only a few people (30 - 40) will get good views from the very front of the ship. I doubt that I'll ever forget sailing towards the Gatun locks in the pre-dawn light. Daylight increased the closer we got to the lock entrance. I don't know if this was planned or luck of the draw. All I can say is wow!

There was a huge car carrier traversing on our port side, just ahead of us. As we got closer that ship got bigger and bigger and I started to get a real appreciation for just how big the locks are. As we pulled even with the carrier I was stunned to see that we were even larger.

I don't think RCCL does partial transit cruises any more, but there are excursions (both ship-sponsored and not) that will take you through.

I'm booked for the April 16th sailing, and everything I've read about the Jewel is so encouraging. It sounds like a really beautiful ship.

I don't think RCCL does partial transit cruises any more, but there are excursions (both ship-sponsored and not) that will take you through.

I'm booked for the April 16th sailing, and everything I've read about the Jewel is so encouraging. It sounds like a really beautiful ship.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas for her repositioning to Miami in late October/early November. You can see pictures of the ship by click here. She's a beautiful ship and her crew is wonderful. This was our third sailing on the Jewel.

Loved your pictures thanks for sharing we sail the Jewel 90 day from tomorrow. But who counting.:D

We were on the Jewel of the Seas for her repositioning to Miami in late October/early November. You can see pictures of the ship by click here. She's a beautiful ship and her crew is wonderful. This was our third sailing on the Jewel.

Loved your pictures thanks for sharing we sail the Jewel 90 day from tomorrow. But who counting.:D

I just went on the 11 night on the Jewel in November for my honeymoon! I cannot say enough about how great it was. Staff was on top of everything and very friendly.

Here are some of my pictures... feel free to browse them to get an idea of the ship and ports. http://s875.photobucket.com/albums/ab315/smileyperry/Jewel/

It no longer goes through the canal, but we took a great excursion that included lunch and a very informative guide.

I just went on the 11 night on the Jewel in November for my honeymoon! I cannot say enough about how great it was. Staff was on top of everything and very friendly.

Here are some of my pictures... feel free to browse them to get an idea of the ship and ports. http://s875.photobucket.com/albums/ab315/smileyperry/Jewel/

It no longer goes through the canal, but we took a great excursion that included lunch and a very informative guide.

I enjoyed all of the pictures and you convinced me. My second son, his wife, my wife and I are booked on the Jewel for the 26th of April of this year. We didn't have anything booked until November and we just couldn't wait that long. :)

I enjoyed all of the pictures and you convinced me. My second son, his wife, my wife and I are booked on the Jewel for the 26th of April of this year. We didn't have anything booked until November and we just couldn't wait that long. :)

LOVED Jewel, and hopefully will be returning to the Jewel in May 2010!

Here are some photos

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/stazerd/Jewel%20of%20the%20Seas%20Christmas%202008/

LOVED Jewel, and hopefully will be returning to the Jewel in May 2010!

Here are some photos

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac179/stazerd/Jewel%20of%20the%20Seas%20Christmas%202008/

Archived