A few questions before I cruise

Kat22

My cruise on the Jewel is still over 5 weeks away but there's a few questions I'd like to have answered nice and early so that there's no last-minute freak outs.

1. Tipping - I hate the idea of auto-tipping, I can't afford the $7 per day (or whatever it is now) that they take off. Is it correct that I can have the auto-tipping removed from my cruise card? Do I just go to the purser's desk on the first day to have this done?

2. Lunch on port days - It's been over 4 years since my last cruise, but I seem to recall on port days returning to the ship on the tender to have lunch at the buffet. Is this right or do we have to buy lunch on the islands?

3. Footwear - When in Vila I plan on visiting the cascade waterfalls. Just wondering what sort of footwear would be most appropriate. If we're going to get wet I don't think runners are the way to go, but then thongs might not have enough grip.

4. Booking for dinner - On my last cruise 'your choice dining' had not yet been introduced. I'm only travelling with one other person and we're hoping to be able to get a table each night for just the two of us. How early should I book a table to make sure this happens? First thing in the morning?

5. Breakfast and lunch in the Waterfront - I have read that the waterfront restaurant is also open for breakfast and lunch. First of all, is this correct? Second, are the hours the same as the buffet? And third, do you need to book like you do with dinner?

I think that's all for now but I'm sure that as it gets closer I'll have plenty more questions!

Thanks!

Katharine.

My cruise on the Jewel is still over 5 weeks away but there's a few questions I'd like to have answered nice and early so that there's no last-minute freak outs.

1. Tipping - I hate the idea of auto-tipping, I can't afford the $7 per day (or whatever it is now) that they take off. Is it correct that I can have the auto-tipping removed from my cruise card? Do I just go to the purser's desk on the first day to have this done?

2. Lunch on port days - It's been over 4 years since my last cruise, but I seem to recall on port days returning to the ship on the tender to have lunch at the buffet. Is this right or do we have to buy lunch on the islands?

3. Footwear - When in Vila I plan on visiting the cascade waterfalls. Just wondering what sort of footwear would be most appropriate. If we're going to get wet I don't think runners are the way to go, but then thongs might not have enough grip.

4. Booking for dinner - On my last cruise 'your choice dining' had not yet been introduced. I'm only travelling with one other person and we're hoping to be able to get a table each night for just the two of us. How early should I book a table to make sure this happens? First thing in the morning?

5. Breakfast and lunch in the Waterfront - I have read that the waterfront restaurant is also open for breakfast and lunch. First of all, is this correct? Second, are the hours the same as the buffet? And third, do you need to book like you do with dinner?

I think that's all for now but I'm sure that as it gets closer I'll have plenty more questions!

Thanks!

Katharine.

hi Katharine, if you dont want to pay the tips you have to sign a paper at the puresers desk and if they ask why just... say you like to pay your own

when we go to the island we always come back on the tender for lunch and if you wish to go ashore after lunch you can

rkmw

Hi,

To answer some of your questions -

You can have the auto-tipping removed if you want to, and it doesn't have to be the first day either, you can take it off at any time. On our last cruise someone was removing it on the last day, and getting it credited back to their account.

Lunch on port days - you can come back to the ship for lunch (or at anytime) in either the restaurant or the buffet, at tender ports and when alongside the wharf.

Booking for dinner - on our cruise we found a table & waiter we liked so each night as we left the restaurant we booked the same for the next night. They can't guarantee it will be the same table, but it worked out that way for us.

The restaurant will be open for breakfast and lunch as well, the times are roughly the same as the buffet and you don't need to book.

Hope that helps & have a great cruise!

Hi Katherine,

Some of the others have already answered some of your questions, so I will be brief.

1. Tipping - You can remove the auto tip of $7.50 whenever you like.

2. Lunch - Can come back on board for lunch in dining room or buffet.

3. Footwear at Cascades - You need waterproof footwear, but thongs can be swept off you feet in the stong current near the falls. The best thing to wear is reef shoes. Sneakers would not be convenient.

4. table in dining room - Get in early and book a table for two. Book after dinner on the first night for the next night and then on keep booking.

5. Breakfast and lunch are available in the dining room and you do not book. The buffet is open for longer hours than the dining room for both breakfast and lunch.

Thankyou so much for your replies everyone. I would prefer to tip people in person rather than have P&O take my money and give it to people who probably did not even serve me. I will remove the auto-tipping and save my money for those crew members who deserve a tip.

simplelife: I don't think I should have to forgo any excursions I want to do just so I can afford to pay tips. I'm a uni student who has saved all year for this cruise and I want to have the best time I possibly can; it may be a very long time before I ever get to go on a holiday again.

Once again, thanks everyone!

simplelife: I don't think I should have to forgo any excursions I want to do just so I can afford to pay tips. I'm a uni student who has saved all year for this cruise and I want to have the best time I possibly can; it may be a very long time before I ever get to go on a holiday again.

Good on you Katharine. Having put two sons through uni I know how hard it is to survive and the fees are much higher here now.

Besides P & O are charging more and more extras these days. Now you have to pay for a child-free area for goodness' sake. This is taking away formerly free deck space and then there is the club lounge which is a pay area or for suite passengers (I'm not sure which). Looks like we are going back to the bad old 1st and 2nd class days. :mad:

Katharine,

they deserve all the money they get, as a uni student you must know how hard it is to survive on small amount of money. Work your guts out for mininal wages etc etc etc

I would assume that you would leave the tipping on and not just give it to those you only see!

What about those folks working to wash your linen each day.....look after the engine room and workings so that you even travel.

How about all the dish washers that clean all the dishes in the dark corners of the kitchen etc....and the list goes on.

I feel the stewards etc are the lucky ones as they have a face to us PAX and can be seen, recognised and rewarded.

What about all the poor unseen workers who are just as important to your holiday being a memorable experience.

I say if you can't afford to pay the auto tipping then don't go until you can! (wearing my hard hat here)

B&B ;)

This argument pops up on here time and time again. Tipping is traditionally an American custom. We are not brought up with it, we are not expected to do it on land, so why must we do it at sea? On an Australian cruise ship I find the fact that auto-tipping has lasted this long extremely surprising. There's obviously a reason why P&O are removing it in October this year.

I understand the staff earn very little but so do a lot of people. I am aware of how hard it is when you only earn basic wages. I work hard and I've saved hard for my mother and I to be able to go on this cruise.

Katharine,

they deserve all the money they get, as a uni student you must know how hard it is to survive on small amount of money. Work your guts out for mininal wages etc etc etc

I would assume that you would leave the tipping on and not just give it to those you only see!

What about those folks working to wash your linen each day.....look after the engine room and workings so that you even travel.

How about all the dish washers that clean all the dishes in the dark corners of the kitchen etc....and the list goes on.

I feel the stewards etc are the lucky ones as they have a face to us PAX and can be seen, recognised and rewarded.

What about all the poor unseen workers who are just as important to your holiday being a memorable experience.

I say if you can't afford to pay the auto tipping then don't go until you can! (wearing my hard hat here)

B&B ;)

Hi,

I know the 'behind the scenes people' argument is often used, but it is not a valid argument. The people behind the scenes (dishwashers, laundry workers etc.) are not part of the tipping pool. They have a different wage structure.

On a cruise last year they printed in the Pacific Daily exactly where the tips go and how much everyone got. It is divided among the cabin stewards, bar stewards, dining room & buffet waiters, supervisors, head waiters and the maitre d'.

I believe tipping is a personal issue.

No-one is FORCING these people to work on ships. :cool:

Besides there are many people on limited incomes such as students, single mums, retirees, (self-funded and on pensions), who have gone without other things to scrape together enough money to have a holiday. Should they be denied a cruise because they cannot afford the extra cash for tipping?

Katharine, I don't have a "holier-than-thou" attitude about tipping. You and your Mum go for it while you can - who knows what is around the corner.

I hope you both have a fantastic cruise. :)

No-one is FORCING these people to work on ships. :cool:

Besides there are many people on limited incomes such as students, single mums, retirees, (self-funded and on pensions), who have gone without other things to scrape together enough money to have a holiday. Should they be denied a cruise because they cannot afford the extra cash for tipping?

If tipping is making up their wages as is typically the case with cruise lines and the passenger is thus intending to use a service that they will not pay for, then yes they should go without. It's not the staff's job to subsidise a passenger's holiday. Just because a possible passenger is poor, does not mean that a poor staff member has to work for nothing for them.

This is why P&O is switching out, as the payments that were meant to be made for staff were not being made locally, effectively only paying for the ship's travel and food, and not the service they are getting onboard. Sure, this isn't customary in Australia... but it is in cruising. And just like service staff in the US rely on tips to make up their income, the same is true of cruise line staff.

Paying tips to cruise staff is just another part of a cruise holiday, like many other costs including getting insurance (including self-insurance). They're not part of the upfront cost, but they are still a typical part of the holiday cost. The difference with those two examples is another person is being ripped off if the first isn't paid, whereas you're exposing yourself to significant losses if you aren't covering the second.

Forgo the excursion and pay the tips.

i would much rather go on a shore tour because the last crusie we went on we left the auto tipping on and we also gave our waiter $10 and he was anoyed that we didn't take the tipping off and give it all to him as they said they only see cents of the tipping and aftter i gave him the $10 dollars i he treated us like **** as we gave him the money at the start of the meal on the last night

i would much rather go on a shore tour because the last crusie we went on we left the auto tipping on and we also gave our waiter $10 and he was anoyed that we didn't take the tipping off and give it all to him as they said they only see cents of the tipping and aftter i gave him the $10 dollars i he treated us like **** as we gave him the money at the start of the meal on the last night

I am sorry to hear he treated you badly - that just shows him up. He was upset because your $7.50 pp per day was spread around and he only got part of it. According to what was printed in the Pacific Daily about six months ago, he would have got $2.50 per day per person at his tables from the tips pool.

I think it is a good thing that P & O is cutting out the automatic tipping. If someone wants to give someone a tip they can, but they won't be expected to.

People read only that which they wish to see. My first statement, which I have never seen mentioned before, was:

* NO-ONE is FORCING people to work on the ship. They CHOOSE to do so.

* I have read that the WHOLE crew does NOT have the tips shared. What about the people who work in the engine room, for instance? Don't they also deserve to have the same treatment as others? They are still working so that passengers have a safe voyage. With automatic tipping it should ALL or NONE.

* I forgot to add previously, that I do believe people who give you good service should be tipped privately eg cabin stewards, waiters and bar staff. I have no issue with this - I just feel offended when Americans and others state baldly, "Forgo the excursion and pay the tips".

* I have read that the WHOLE crew does NOT have the tips shared. What about the people who work in the engine room, for instance? Don't they also deserve to have the same treatment as others? They are still working so that passengers have a safe voyage. With automatic tipping it should ALL or NONE.

The whole crew doesn't have to participate in the tips pool. If they did, they would get very little. The people who work in the engine room (for example) are on a fixed wage and don't need tips to supplement it. The idea of tips is that it is for those who have personal contact with the customer.

The idea of tips is that it is for those who have personal contact with the customer.

This is exactly why I stated earlier that I would rather tip those crew members myself who have served me, rather than have P&O take my money and have that tiny amount distributed to all the crew - the majority of which would have had no contact with me whatsoever. Why would I want to tip a random waiter or bar steward who did not serve me and had nothing to do with my holiday? I want my money to go to those waiters and stewards who helped make my cruise relaxing and memorable. After all, didn't tipping originally come about as a means of rewarding and saying thankyou for good service, not as a way of making up a worker's wages?

This is exactly why I stated earlier that I would rather tip those crew members myself who have served me, rather than have P&O take my money and have that tiny amount distributed to all the crew - the majority of which would have had no contact with me whatsoever. Why would I want to tip a random waiter or bar steward who did not serve me and had nothing to do with my holiday? I want my money to go to those waiters and stewards who helped make my cruise relaxing and memorable. After all, didn't tipping originally come about as a means of rewarding and saying thankyou for good service, not as a way of making up a worker's wages?

I would have to tend to agree with you, as there would be a lot of other members on here would do as well on here.

All i would say is go have a great cruise, take off auto tipping and tip YOU want to, because at the end of the day if you leave auto tipping on or not you will get the same great service anyway.

PS Have a great cruise and do what YOU want to do.

I agree with this. I am going on the Jewel this coming Saturday, and I too am a uni student who has worked hard to get the money together for this cruise and save spending money, so I will be taking auto tipping off and distributing funds as I see necessary. As per a per Aus Travellers post, the tips do not get given to the people 'behind the scenes' anyway, so I think we should be able to set our own tip amounts, not the amounts the cruise line has set out for us.

Thankyou so much for your replies everyone. I would prefer to tip people in person rather than have P&O take my money and give it to people who probably did not even serve me. I will remove the auto-tipping and save my money for those crew members who deserve a tip.

Once again, thanks everyone!

Kat, If you remove the auto tip and just pay the people you want, they have to give the money back into the tipping pool so they will be no better off. I agree. Pay the tips and then you don't need to worry about it. - mummsie

Katharine,

B&B ;)

I am sorry but i find your comment offensive. How dare you suggest someone not go on a holiday until they can afford to tip. It is already clear that Australian cruisers pay much more than other countries, and until these prices are reduced or bought into line with cruising in general, then i dont think Australian people should be forced or guilted into paying tips. I agree with your comment Kat and Sandy....

Its also clear where P and O and Princess stand on this as they are removing it towards the end of the year....

If you want to tip go for it. Dont be told its your moral obligation to do so when our culture clearly dictates its not. Having said that, we always tip those staff we have had contact with, and tip well, because we want to and appreciate their effort! Have a great cruise Kat:)

I am sorry but i find your comment offensive. How dare you suggest someone not go on a holiday until they can afford to tip. It is already clear that Australian cruisers pay much more than other countries, and until these prices are reduced or bought into line with cruising in general, then i dont think Australian people should be forced or guilted into paying tips. I agree with your comment Kat and Sandy....

Its also clear where P and O and Princess stand on this as they are removing it towards the end of the year....

If you want to tip go for it. Dont be told its your moral obligation to do so when our culture clearly dictates its not. Having said that, we always tip those staff we have had contact with, and tip well, because we want to and appreciate their effort! Have a great cruise Kat:)

Im afraid I too find the comment offensive and put a complaint in about it as well, but to avail.

It is already clear that Australian cruisers pay much more than other country, and until these prices are reduced or bought into line with cruising in general, then i dont think Australian people should be forced or guilted into paying tips.

I don't see the association, whether it's between cruise lines or on the same cruise line.

Some people might get a sailing on Oasis of the seas (which I've mentioned to say it's the same issue everywhere, not just to do with Australians) in one class of cabin for $5,500/ person and another group pay $3,500 per person. The fact one group of people are paying more doesn't justify them not paying tips to staff. Also, that cruise payment of $5,500 goes to the cruise line, not the service staff.

How dare you suggest someone not go on a holiday until they can afford to tip.

Tipping is part of the expected remuneration of service staff. While you may not philosophically agree with it being expected (and personally, I think tips should be extra rather than base remuneration as well) that doesn't change that that's the way it works. As such, I look forward to P&O's new pricing model late this year, but until then tips are still expected.

I am just surprised how many people want great service from service staff, but want them to work for virtually nothing!

Incidentally, I would expect then that prices do rise for P&O compared to other lines in other countries you refer to, since it is only then that pricing will fully include those service staff costs. The staff need to be paid some way, whether it's directly by the cruise line and thus higher cruise prices, or directly from the passengers through tips.

Archived