Is Yellow fever jab needed for Trinidad/Tobago

Geggie

Because of health problems I don't really want to have a yellow Fever vaccination. I am visiting Port of Spain in Tobago which seems to be an area where this may be needed, so if I disembark here is it true that I will then not be allowed onshore at other ports that require you to have a vaccination certificate if you have visited a country that has Yellow fever? Would be grateful for any advice.

Thankyou!

Geggie

Because of health problems I don't really want to have a yellow Fever vaccination. I am visiting Port of Spain in Tobago which seems to be an area where this may be needed, so if I disembark here is it true that I will then not be allowed onshore at other ports that require you to have a vaccination certificate if you have visited a country that has Yellow fever? Would be grateful for any advice.

Thankyou!

Geggie

On a cruise, no unless you are notified to the contrary by Princess.

If you were to try to go to Brazil at any time in the near future, I believe you would need proof that you had been vaccinated, even if you weren't going to a port that required it itself.

We just got our Yellow Fever shots yesterday and Trinidad/Tobago was listed as one of the places where the illness is documented.

If your ship does stop at a place (such as Devil's Island) so that a subseqnent stop (for example, Brazil) would require a YF shot, it makes no difference if you got off at that port or not, everyone would need the shot before reaching port that rquires it.

However, most countries that require the YF shot will accept a Doctor's letter indicating why you could not have the shot for medical reasons and still let you in.

I most instances you do not need vacinations for cruises however no one on these boards knows your health conditon and therefor it is best to get this kind of advice from your doctor. I say this as DW has MS and her immune system is oppressed...so we are inclined to get shots where someone else whould be just fine without.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sorry if this topic has been raised before , I did look back over old posts but couldn't see it. My problem is exactly as the last poster replied, some countries will not let you enter if you have visited a country with yellow fever while unvaccinated but it sounds as if it will be okay and we can always stay on board at Trinidad if not. As a Parkinsons sufferer my husband is on high medication already and any side effects from the vaccination are a huge problem for him.

some countries will not let you enter if you have visited a country with yellow fever while unvaccinated but it sounds as if it will be okay and we can always stay on board at Trinidad if not.

Staying on the ship does not matter. You are considered as visiting that country even if you do not set foot on land.

If a YF shot (or a doctor's note) is required, the ship will usually not let you board in the first place without it.

From Princess Amazon Cruise Notification:

" '''

Please note that ONLY if there is a medical

contraindication to the vaccine an original, signed and dated statement

detailing the contraindication on a physician's letterhead stationary should be

brought to the ship and presented at embarkation. During the cruise, upon

arrival to the specified port(s), this letter will be presented to local

officials who will make a decision on issuing a vaccine waiver.

... "

Maybe I should rimg Princess to make sure.

I have no idea what the answer to your question is but I bet calling Princess will work better than arriving at the ship, being told you can't board and saying -- but the people on Cruise Critic said I could!

The Masta Travel Health site that Princess reccomend you consult says nothing is required for Trinidad and Tobago, the travel clinic at our surgery said it was not compulsary but you could have a problem with the next country you visited. Have e-mailed the query Princess to be sure!

The Masta Travel Health website that Princess recommends you consult says nothing is required for Trinidad and Tobago and the travel Clinic at our local surgery says Yellow Fever is not compulsary but that there may then be a problem with the next country you visit. I have e-mailed Princess to be sure!

Thanks everyone, you were all so helpful, Princess have e-mailed back to say Yellow Fever jab not required! Suspect I should have asked them in the beginning but have enjoyed taking part in the Forum. Now looking forward to our first proper cruise, plus can't wait to leave behind all this freezing weather in the UK, we're not used to it!

We did not need an immunization to visit Trinidad

but I would never get off the ship again to see it. ===> You saw inner Port of Spain...sounds like..

Lots of crime and just a big city.

Sounds like you got off the ship and walked around, from right outside the Port.

Man, did you do the wrong wrong thing! :D

You saw the crappiest part of the whole 1,800 square mile island.

No-one 'does Port of Spain'

-not even us Caribbean islanders who know where/where-not to go. ;)

Please...if you go again, take a ship's tour or some sort of tour

which will get you OUT of Port of Spain and over to Maracas Bay

or somewhere/anywhere far nicer!

Trinidad's not too bad for a Caribbean island

although it is not yer typical Caribbean island.

The downtown area where the ships dock is about the worst spot in the big city

which is really lousy luck for cruisers expecting to find beauty.

Not gonna find it, there!

You gotta get a taxi or a tour somewhere..

and enjoy a whole different side of the island

from what you'll observe from Top Deck or (far worse)

walking around from where the ship is docked.

Archived