If You Lived In/Near Embarkation Port?

sail7seas

If you happened to live reasonably close to an embarkation port, would you sail that ship/itinerary just because you wouldn't have to travel to join the ship? Would the ease of embarkation/debark be worth your cruising a ship/cruise line that was not necessarily on your 'must do list'?

We used to live just across the bay from the Port of San Francisco, and loved to sail out of the City.

I do think that we were selective - but San Francisco is an unde-rutilized port for cruise ships, which did cut down our choices.

Weloved when HAL was sailing out of NY. When they left, we booked sailings out of FLL. Have no interest in the 7 day cruise to Bermuda or the 10 day cruise up the coast so do not know what we will book in the future.Our next cruise out of FLL will determine whether we book another HAL cruise. The other cruises out of NY might have to become an option, but we really do not want to switch cruise lines. Note to HAL-- PLEASE BRING THE NOORDAM BACK TO NEW YORK!!!!!

Suse......."Yes, sir" :eek:

I'm a lady, not a gent. :D

How lucky New Yorkers were when they had the chance to sail the gorgeous Noordam on a wonderful 10 and/or 11 day itinerary. We are from Boston area but traveled to NY to sail it. You had the best going on...... A fabulous ship sailing from close to home.

We are in that same position with Maasdam. We really love Maasdam and the Canada/New England itinerary so get to board close to home for a ship and cruise we really love. We also travel to FLL to sail Maasdam (and other HAL ships) but it sure is better when we board close to home.

We live in Charleston and sailed the NCL Majesty two years ago mainly because of convenience.

In March will be on the Celebrity Mercury when it home ports here for a brief time. This was a no-brainer as we love Celebrity.

Doubt we will book the Carnival Fantasy when it starts sailing from Charleston as we are kind of Carnival-ed out.:)

Suse......."Yes, sir" :eek:

I'm a lady, not a gent. :D

How lucky New Yorkers were when they had the chance to sail the gorgeous Noordam on a wonderful 10 and/or 11 day itinerary. We are from Boston area but traveled to NY to sail it. You had the best going on...... A fabulous ship sailing from close to home.

We are in that same position with Maasdam. We really love Maasdam and the Canada/New England itinerary so get to board close to home for a ship and cruise we really love. We also travel to FLL to sail Maasdam (and other HAL ships) but it sure is better when we board close to home.

I was simply "out there" and not paying attention. Of course. I knew that. Sorry............:)

When we first started cruising we did many cruises to Western/Eastern Caribbean.Many on Celebrity Century.Now that there aren't that many cruises offered in Summer out of Port Everglades we have expanded our cruising to more interesting cruises that we have to fly too.We haven't done a Caribbean Cruise since 2002.

Looking into doing one next year though either on Oasis or Solstice/Eqinox

Fortunately, we live in Florida, and HAL sails from ports to which we can drive. It may not make sense to some that we live in a sunny climate and take cruises to the Caribbean, but that's what we do. Airfare and additional travel costs would be prohibitive for us.

Would we take a "party" cruise from a port which is even nearer to us simply for the ease and convenience? Nope. Nada. Never.

Knitlady037, I agree with you. HAL, bring our Noordam back to NYC for the Caribbean cruises...not Bermuda. The Veendam is no longer desirable for us since the ruination of the aft deck and the piano bar.

Yes, sail, if I lived near a port city I'd be on a ship every time I had a chance. When the Noordam was in NYC, HAL ran a bus from the Boston area through RI and CT to the NYC port and that was just great. Getting to Boston is dueable for us via bus, but there isn't much choice on cruises.

If you happened to live reasonably close to an embarkation port, would you sail that ship/itinerary just because you wouldn't have to travel to join the ship? Would the ease of embarkation/debark be worth your cruising a ship/cruise line that was not necessarily on your 'must do list'?

Not necessarily. I live 15 minutes from the Baltimore port, but I'm not sold on any of the ships that sail from here, although sometimes I think about booking. ;)

We live in New York City and have never even given though of taking a Carnival cruise from here. ;)

We did sail on the QM2 out of Brooklyn last September and it was nice not to have to deal with airports; a short cab ride and we were home. :D

How I wish that Holland America would come back to Norfolk, VA! Only 2 times had that happen! Both times were on the MS Maasdam. Short 3 hour drive from home and it was great! Now it's RCL and Carnival-YUK!

A lot of money was put into the Norfolk terminal and now it's really a waste. If HAL is viewing this, PLEASE come back.

Sail, I'm doing just that. Just booked a cruise on RCL leaving from NJ. That's an hour ride for us, but it beats driving or flying to Florida right now.

I've never sailed any other line since my first cruise, but we got tired of waiting to see if we could get on a 2/3 cruise on the Noordam. It was getting too late for us to find air or hotels so RCL had a few cabins left and our friend who's a travel agent said they liked it, so we'll see. I know it's bigger, etc. but I need a cruise and this was easy. And, in some ways, it's exciting to explore something new.

I've been on the Noordam 2x out of NY and wish HAL would bring her back.

Sail,

To your basic premise/question, which I think is asking would I sail on something close to home just because it was close and not because I particularly wanted to sail that ship/line, I would say probably no. We live in the D.C. area, and could easily get to Baltimore for Carnival and RCCL cruises to the Bahamas and Caribbean, but have instead consistently booked HAL for Caribbean cruises out of FLL or Tampa instead, because we prefer the HAL experience. But, we may find ourselves on an RCCL cruise out of Baltimore some day.

I do have to admit, though, that when we lived in Virginia Beach, it was nice to call a taxi to pick us up at home and take us to the cruise pier in Norfolk to board Maasdam when she sailed from there. So, the obvious solution is for HAL to put a ship in Baltimore, or back to Norfolk again! But, I suspect they left Norfolk for the same reason they left New York -- too costly for Caribbean cruises. The sailings out of Boston to Canada (and the annual North Atlantic round-trip) seem to be doing well.

Dave

Itineraries are more important to us.

It would get boring doing the same ship and same itineraries 3 or 4 times a year.

Same ship, same itinerary, 3 or 4 times a year. Yes, that would be too much even for us on our much loved Maasdam.

That's why we sail other ships on other itineraries in addition to Maasdam.

We very much look forward to our annual b-to-b Canada/New England. We love (most) of those ports.

Did the older RCI out of Port Canaveral and wasn't impressed. Not interested in Disney. Did a Carnival once and I don't fit in. Heading to Venice this summer for East Med. but really hate the plane ride. I think HAL is worth the drive to Ft Laud or Tampa. We have been on Noordam three times for the itinerary but are fond of her also. I wish I could afford to go wherever the Amsterdam goes!:)

Same ship, same itinerary, 3 or 4 times a year. Yes, that would be too much even for us on our much loved Maasdam.

That's why we sail other ships on other itineraries in addition to Maasdam.

We very much look forward to our annual b-to-b Canada/New England. We love (most) of those ports.

But in actuality you do the same cruise over and over on the same ship.

Maasdam -- Boston to Montreal -- Montreal to Boston in June -- that 2 cruises.

Maasdam -- Boston to Montreal -- Montreal to Boston in August -- that's 2 more cruises.

Same ports for 4 cruises.

Knitlady037, I agree with you. HAL, bring our Noordam back to NYC for the Caribbean cruises...not Bermuda. The Veendam is no longer desirable for us since the ruination of the aft deck and the piano bar.

Yes, sail, if I lived near a port city I'd be on a ship every time I had a chance. When the Noordam was in NYC, HAL ran a bus from the Boston area through RI and CT to the NYC port and that was just great. Getting to Boston is dueable for us via bus, but there isn't much choice on cruises.

We did that, also, two years in a row. Wish HAL would bring her back to NYC. But, unfortunately, I doubt that's going to happen. We're on the 2/3 and 2/13 sailing and the 2/3 sailing has been sold out for a while. I think that by now, the 2/13 is SO. Or very close.

Looking back at HAL's decision, I'm sure it's much more costly to steam ahead for two days each way to get from NYC to the Caribbean rather than just "puddle jump" around the Carribean for 10 days!

But in actuality you do the same cruise over and over on the same ship.

Maasdam -- Boston to Montreal -- Montreal to Boston in June -- that 2 cruises.

Maasdam -- Boston to Montreal -- Montreal to Boston in August -- that's 2 more cruises.

Same ports for 4 cruises.

Not that I need to explain myself or 'get permission'.......... :rolleyes:

When we sailed Maasdam last June, it was Boston-Montreal-Boston. In August, it was seven days Boston to Boston. Beats me why I am bothering to explain our cruising choices. :confused:

We also sailed Eurodam and Westerdam. Does that make it okay?

I'll be happy to explain further if necessary. :)

KK, we all do what works best for us. If Sail did do the same cruise over and over(and she doesn't) why should that bother you?

None of us has to explain how or when or why we cruise the way we do. Those are personal decisions. Vive Le difference !:)

We love sailing out of San Diego which is a one hour flight and is our closest port. Unfortunately San Diego cruises go to mostly to Mexico and Hawaii, but my favorite cruising areas are Europe, eastern Canada and New England.

We love sailing out of San Diego which is a one hour flight and is our closest port. Unfortunately San Diego cruises go to mostly to Mexico and Hawaii, but my favorite cruising areas are Europe, eastern Canada and New England.

Like Jemima, we enjoy sailing out of San Diego, which is a 2 hour drive from our home. Mexico is wonderful for a relaxing getaway, just to be on the ship! Nothing beats disembarking and getting in the car to go home, plus we do more shopping because it is easier to transport purchases!

We too prefer Europe, but hate the hassle of getting there...for example missing the sailing of the Noordam last June due to airline cancellation. Alaska is a 2 hour nonstop flight to Seattle and we used the airline miles Delta gave us as an apology for the cancelled flight to fly there. We are looking forward to our 14 day Alaskan Adventurer cruise in May.

Karen

Archived