What to do in Atlanta Airport

lovethekeys

We have a lay over in Atlanta for 3 hours tomorrow, any ideas? I check online for surronding area things to do and came up with zip:p Would welcome any suggestions. Since our next week will be based on eating, I guess we could start to "get in the grove";)

And even if you do end up with the 3 hours, I would not want to hassle with leaving the airport and then having to go back through security when you get back. There are a ton of restaurants in the Atlanta airport. Find one and enjoy a long, leisurely meal.

Atlanta was the first place I set foot in the USA, in 2000 - I was on my way from Manchester (UK) to Orlando for a technical conference, on Delta, which required a change at Atlanta. So having got through immigration I wandered up into the public areas before making my way to the gate. The first three shops I saw were: a) W H Smiths; b) BodyShop; and c) Waterstones - all three of them very familiar UK retail names. Not what I was expecting at all! "Is this really Atlanta, Georgia - or Gatwick?" I wondered...

Go to the International Concourse (E Concourse) and view the different traveling art exhibits that are there. During the day, there are very few international flights from this concourse, and it is much quieter and more pleasant than the crowds you will experience in the other concourses.

I wouldn't suggest leaving the airport. Atlanta is a very busy spot and the 3 hours will fly by. The suggestion of finding your gate early on is a good one as you may have to make your way from one concourse to another. There are plenty of spots to have something to eat, read, relax or people watch and they've recently added some new shops. Have a great cruise!

Patty

There is a great restaurant in the International concourse (Concourse E) called One Flew South. Read the review below:

http://www.foodiebuddha.com/2009/04/17/one-flew-south-restaurant-review-at-hartsfield-jackson-airport-in-atlanta-first-impressions/

I actually try to get to the airport early for international flights and have a meal here, then when I board the plane for the dreaded overnight flight, I can immediately relax, take off my shoes, put on my eye-shade and try to sleep without worrying about the crummy in-flight meal.

Thanx for all the good suggestions, I figured 3 hours was not quite enough time to leave, I would have to do something in the airport. I suffer from restless leg syndrom and would prefer to walk around rather than sit and read. I will be reading on both flights so I was looking for a more active venue. The suggestion for One Flew South & the Traveling Art Exhibit both in "E" should fit the bill nicely- Thanx again- stay warm where ever you are!

There is a long underground walkway between the terminals which runs parallel to the train. There is usually african-themed artwork and sculpture between the main terminal and terminal A -- maybe between terminals A & B too? It's not crowded down there since 98% of people take the train.

Do you have a platinum American Express card? It will admit you to the Delta Sky Club lounge. 3 hours is really not that much time in Atlanta airport. Have a nice trip.

That works only if you are flying on Delta. But it also works for Continental and American if you are flying with them.

One other piece of advice. Check the overhead monitors for your gate. They change a lot in Atlanta and your boarding pass issued at your originating airport might be wrong.

Thanks for the tip on One Flew South. We have a pretty late flight out (9:45) later this year to Amsterdam and that sounds like a great place to try before boarding. We'll have plenty of time as we always get to the airport about 3 hours before an international flight.

Loved the U tube sites- too funny!!!:cool: What a great way to work off my RLS! I'll see what I can do to start a group sing along &/or dance. Neither of which should be started by yours truly:rolleyes: Thanx for all the advice and have a wonderful weekend.

Hi,:) agree with the folks who are telling you not to leave the airport.

3 hours is really not that long and you can never assume your flight will be on time so it may not be 3 hours.

Get something to eat, read a book or the paper, have a drink.....

Three hours in ATL is really only 1-1.5 hours when you consider deboarding and boarding times. Go to the concourse you're departing from and find a place for food and/or drinks and relax.

Enjoy your trip.

Uggghhhh.....the only thing worse than Hartsfield Airport is Atlanta itself! Both are awful!:(

The only thing worse than ORD or MDW is Chicago itself. All 3 are awful.:(

Why knock Atlanta when you don't live here?

Actually, I like Chicago, except for the fact that it's in Chicago. But with the Atlanta weather this morning, not much difference. 14 degrees outside right now.

As far as the ATL airport goes, I fly out of there about 42 weeks a year. 3 hours isn't much time at all. The suggestion of walking from concourse to concourse is excellent. I do this if i'm not pushed for time. And I also agree with the concourse E suggestion.

Good luck to the OP.

Uggghhhh.....the only thing worse than Hartsfield Airport is Atlanta itself! Both are awful!:(

wow:rolleyes:.....kind of harsh:eek:....lots of things are wonderful in Atlanta,:)

just like many cities around the United States of America which

have their good and bad points.

Your kidding, right?:confused: I agree with Lois, you get good and bad no matter what city your in. I always try to find the good!;)

Patty

We have the opposite problem, only 50 minutes in Atlanta between planes. If both are Delta, will the arrival and departure be near eachother? They tell us it is a legal connection, but with all the new security, I wonder if we will make it. I did check on line and see that there are a few flights after ours, so I guess they will put us on one of them.

Archived